Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Sooo while chipping away on the bike, removing the rear seat and saddle bags so I can get ready to either replace or keep them off I noticed something a bit off with my rear tire.

I knew there was a "loose spoke" as I was told when the bike was serviced back in October, but this is a bit ****ing much more than loose.

How screwed am I?
    Screwed? nope your lucky you saw it before it caused an accident. You'll be needing a new wheel mate. Get onto ebay!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

H_Lime wrote: »
    Screwed? nope your lucky you saw it before it caused an accident. You'll be needing a new wheel mate. Get onto ebay!

I'm fairly freaked out. I'd been out on it a handful of times before winter, and even once in the last month before the battery died. I could feel the ride was weird, but only after removing the saddlebags today did I see the extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Yup, that's a new wheel lad. Just count your blessings it didn't happen on a spin. New wheel definitely, eBay or a breakers, done deal if someone is parting out or a Facebook forum for your bike that someone again might be parting out

It's not even a case of a new wheel, I don't really have the tools or equipment to replace the wheel myself.

Buy the wheel and bring it to a shop.
    What's the bike and year?
    Where are u?

• Advertisement

It's a 2001 Yamaha Dragstar 650. I'm based in Cork so I'll probably arrange to get it out to Lee Honda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

It's a 2001 Yamaha Dragstar 650. I'm based in Cork so I'll probably arrange to get it out to Lee Honda.

There’s a crowd down Centre Park Road called Rebel Motorcycles, they’re on Facebook, give them a shout. He rebuilt the forks on my blade and the brakes on my DL, excellent workmanship, I’ll never again get work done by Lee.

Where in cork are you? Lee can be good but there might be somewhere closer to you.....and more affordable than main dealer with big window prices, if your on a budget.

IJS84 wrote: »
    Where in cork are you? Lee can be good but there might be somewhere closer to you.....and more affordable than main dealer with big window prices, if your on a budget.
    There’s a crowd down Centre Park Road called Rebel Motorcycles, they’re on Facebook, give them a shout. He rebuilt the forks on my blade and the brakes on my DL, excellent workmanship, I’ll never again get work done by Lee.

I've heard good things about Rebel Motorcycles actually, I'll fire him a message and photos on facebook there.

I'm based in Carrigaline so technically JT would be closest, but given I bought this bike from him and his mechanic is the lad who said this was a "loose" spoke I don't think I'll waste my time there anymore.

I've heard good things about Rebel Motorcycles actually, I'll fire him a message and photos on facebook there.

I'm based in Carrigaline so technically JT would be closest, but given I bought this bike from him and his mechanic is the lad who said this was a "loose" spoke I don't think I'll waste my time there anymore.

Dylan is bang on, the location is good as well, as in I can get a bus from just up the road to my door after dropping the bike off and the same on the return journey. JT is in the middle of nowhere with no public transport passing. There’s 2 mechanics working for JT i think, Elton & Johnny. Even being Carrigaline based the 220 bus will take you to/from home with a short walk from the Grand Parade/South Mall to CPR. City Spares in Dublin or First Choice Bike Breakers will probably have a wheel for you. Dealt with both in recent times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Thinking of buying one of these.
    Anyone here have one?

https://toolsidee.co.uk/product/hbm-500-motor-lift-table-black-P1325.html

Declan swanton is a good shout, sound lad and won't see you wrong. A few lads on here have a similar opinion of him. He's just off forge hill towards lehanaghmore...a Google search will show you.

I'd 2nd the quiet man with Lee, had a bike in for a service and belts done...long story short €1,000 & the summer later bike still wasn't right. I won't put a bike into their workshop again

Fired off a message there to Rebel Motorcycles. Like a champ he was back to me in minutes saying to get it down to them so we can get it checked out.

Gonna get on to the insurance company tomorrow morning and see if they'll do the drop off.

Declan swanton is a good shout, sound lad and won't see you wrong. A few lads on here have a similar opinion of him. He's just off forge hill towards lehanaghmore...a Google search will show you.

I'd 2nd the quiet man with Lee, had a bike in for a service and belts done...long story short €1,000 & the summer later bike still wasn't right. I won't put a bike into their workshop again

Had the blade in with Declan in January, have no complaints about his work, none whatsoever, below is the list of what i remember him doing for me:

Carbs cleaned/balanced
    New tyres (Metzler Sportec M3)
    New pads front and rear
    New chain and sprockets
    Battery volt meter fitted (i supplied)
    Full engine service (I supplied the parts)
    New radiator switch
    Brake fluid changed
    Coolant changed

The whole lot including labour came to €800, initially it was €750, but i wasn't told until i collected the bike that the switch was changed costing me an extra €50, thank god i had it on me.

I had electrical work done by Lee early last year, the bike had to go back twice to get the job sorted, on each occasion they still couldn't get it right, i brought it to the auto electrician who looks after my cars, he had it sorted in 10 minutes.

There's only 2 full time mechanics in there, some of the sales lads would fall in if needed, but it's one of the two full time lads who kept mucking it up. Another time it took them over 1 hour to change headlight bulbs, i was charged €50 + vat + bulbs, we aren't the only ones either judging by their google reviews to have had this issue.

Fired off a message there to Rebel Motorcycles. Like a champ he was back to me in minutes saying to get it down to them so we can get it checked out.

Gonna get on to the insurance company tomorrow morning and see if they'll do the drop off.

They'll do the drop off no problem, he might actually be able to source the wheel for you. Let us know how you get on.

Had the blade in with Declan in January, have no complaints about his work, none whatsoever, below is the list of what i remember him doing for me:

Carbs cleaned/balanced
    New tyres (Metzler Sportec M3)
    New pads front and rear
    New chain and sprockets
    Battery volt meter fitted (i supplied)
    Full engine service (I supplied the parts)
    New radiator switch
    Brake fluid changed
    Coolant changed

The whole lot including labour came to €800, initially it was €750, but i wasn't told until i collected the bike that the switch was changed costing me an extra €50, thank god i had it on me.

I had electrical work done by Lee early last year, the bike had to go back twice to get the job sorted, on each occasion they still couldn't get it right, i brought it to the auto electrician who looks after my cars, he had it sorted in 10 minutes.

There's only 2 full time mechanics in there, some of the sales lads would fall in if needed, but it's one of the two full time lads who kept mucking it up. Another time it took them over 1 hour to change headlight bulbs, i was charged €50 + vat + bulbs, we aren't the only ones either judging by their google reviews to have had this issue.

I had the same with Lee, it was electrical aswell, had an auto electrical guy look at it and cost me €40. Left a very sour taste in my mouth to say the least.

Happened me once with Declan aswell, genuinely didn't have it on me - was something small that was extra- the week before pay day. He left me off on the day and happy for me to drop in the rest the week later. Top notch work and I would go beyond him to be fair

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Hi Sonics2k,
    Give me a shout if you need to be picked up or dropped back to CPR. I'm in Carrigaline as well and may be able to help.
    You may still have my number. DM me if not.

Hi Sonics2k,
    Give me a shout if you need to be picked up or dropped back to CPR. I'm in Carrigaline as well and may be able to help.
    You may still have my number. DM me if not.

Cheers LLewellen! That is very much appreciated.

Right now I'm trying to source the parts and get a cost on all this. I'd planned on selling the bike just before winter but due to work simply didn't have the time.

I'm incredibly relieved I didn't sell it as I would have lost it if some buyer had lost their life on it.

blade1 wrote: »
    Thinking of buying one of these.
    Anyone here have one?

https://toolsidee.co.uk/product/hbm-500-motor-lift-table-black-P1325.html

Onto a crowd in Holland now that have lifts at great prices.
    Waiting for them to get back to me with a price for shipping.

Looks a sweet lift blade.

• Advertisement

H_Lime wrote: »
    Looks a sweet lift blade.

Not going with that one.
    These are what I'm sussing out now.

https://valkenpower.com/motorcycle-lifts

This one below in particular but the platform is a bit shorter than the cheaper one.
    I'm wondering would my zzr1400 be ok on it???
    https://valkenpower.com/motorcycle-lift-750kg-pneumatic-with-hydraulic-footpump.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Does anyone know how VAT is charged on a new import bike ? Is it based on the Irish RRP or the original purchase price in say the UK ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

I think it's landed cost, so UK price + shipping + shipping insurance. All with Revenue exchange rate for that month when it lands.

macplaxton wrote: »
    I think it's landed cost, so UK price + shipping + shipping insurance. All with Revenue exchange rate for that month when it lands.

I didn't ask anything about shipping and shipping insurance. I'm importing a bike from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I rang the lad I did my IBT with to book a few lessons in anticipation of getting a test sometime this century and when I told him I'd no test booked yet - only have the license 3 months he was shocked that I was doing lessons, pleasantly shocked mind you. My attitude is that a few lessons will only benefit me and I do plan on moving onto a bigger bike as soon as I feel ready. Do most lads just do the bare minimum?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

D3V!L wrote: »
    I didn't ask anything about shipping and shipping insurance. I'm importing a bike from the UK.

Sorry, mind elsewhere, ignore the shipping extras as that is for imports from OUTSIDE EU.:o
    (Althought that may apply after the end of the transition period - 31/12/2020 - I say "may" as it depends on if there is a deal / no deal / or extension to the transition period)

Page 16: https://www.revenue.ie/en/tax-professionals/tdm/value-added-tax/part03-taxable-transactions-goods-ica-services/Goods/goods-transactions-motor-vehicles.pdf

"The value for calculating VAT is the price charged for the vehicle, converted to Euro where necessary."

Exchange rates are on the Revenue website:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/index.aspx

Just make sure you purchase a "NMT" without paying non-Irish VAT first as it may be a ballache/slow to reclaim and the Revenue will still want "their" VAT.

macplaxton wrote: »
    "The value for calculating VAT is the price charged for the vehicle, converted to Euro where necessary."

Exchange rates are on the Revenue website:
    https://www.revenue.ie/en/customs-traders-and-agents/importing-and-exporting/exchange-rates/index.aspx

Just make sure you purchase a "NMT" without paying non-Irish VAT first as it may be a ballache/slow to reclaim and the Revenue will still want "their" VAT.

Thats perfect, thanks. The shop will refund me the VAT immediately when I show them I've paid it on my side.

I had the same with Lee, it was electrical aswell, had an auto electrical guy look at it and cost me €40. Left a very sour taste in my mouth to say the least.

Happened me once with Declan aswell, genuinely didn't have it on me - was something small that was extra- the week before pay day. He left me off on the day and happy for me to drop in the rest the week later. Top notch work and I would go beyond him to be fair

I’d say sour is being polite about it all.

Had no hassle with Declan, it was a minor thing, I imagine if I was caught short an arrangement could have been made.

Opinions on this price for servicing my busa?

Hi,
    Around 300 total .

Plugs, air filter ,
    Oil & filter and coolant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

So for the past couple of days, i have been riding a 131 fjr1300 (essentially). Here is my review:
    - Ergonomics:
    It's comfy, bit of a wide seat, but comfy over long spins. The handlebars are at a nice height and width. The switchgear is a bit all over the place, lots of buttons for controlling the heated grips, electric screen, and various menus. I kept having to look to see what I was hitting when trying to cancel indicators for example. Lot s of weather protection, and adjustable screen means that you can adjust away to your hearts content. Mirrors were good, and i think placed to deflect wind from your hands.
    7/10, good, but not setting the world alight
    - Handling:
    For a big bike, it is flickable. 265kg dry (apparently) plus gear, rider, liquids and loaded panniers, but still flickable on twisty r roads, good visibility and seating position meant you could easily plan your path through the turns. Good tyres and suspension helps.
    7/10, good, not a sports bike, but you can still make rapid progress
    - Engine:
    Grunty motor, with a 8500 or so redline, 135 NM torque, gave lots of acceleration. Going to the redline isn't necessary, lots of mid range shove. leave it in 3rd or 4th and just use the throttle through the corners. This was the 5 spd box, and 5th was fine, but for motorways, it did feel like a 6th gear would be beneficial.
    8/10 - grunt, grunt and more grunt. I was surprised at the grunt.
    - Brakes:
    Nothing exceptional here, they slowed and stopped me. ABS was unobtrusive on the limit, although you could feel the tyre locking. Brought the bike down from speed happily enough.
    7/10

All in all, a hefty bike that can be swiftly ridden on irish roads, while carrying lots of stuff. I would consider one of these at some stage in the future.

Advertisement