Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Opinions on this price for servicing my busa?

Hi,
    Around 300 total .

Plugs, air filter ,
    Oil & filter and coolant

did you not buy bike stands etc recently. Why not put them to work ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

listermint wrote: »
    did you not buy bike stands etc recently. Why not put them to work ?

I did, since I posted I’ve watched YouTube videos & got the toolbox out. I think I can sort it. I just lack self confidence. Photos of the air filter to follow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I did, since I posted I’ve watched YouTube videos & got the toolbox out. I think I can sort it. I just lack self confidence. Photos of the air filter to follow

Just go straight in no kissing. Very hard to go wrong with a service once you take your time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Not going with that one.
    These are what I'm sussing out now.

https://valkenpower.com/motorcycle-lifts

This one below in particular but the platform is a bit shorter than the cheaper one.
    I'm wondering would my zzr1400 be ok on it???
    https://valkenpower.com/motorcycle-lift-750kg-pneumatic-with-hydraulic-footpump.html
    Got a shipping quote back.....
    €500 plus vat :eek:
    Back to the drawing board.
    Anyone got an ABBA Skylift?
    Would it be a better option than a bench?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

D3V!L wrote: »
    Does anyone know how VAT is charged on a new import bike ? Is it based on the Irish RRP or the original purchase price in say the UK ?

Based on Irish RRP of a brand new one.

Usually not worth it, unless it's an expensive machine or some rare/not available here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

colm_c wrote: »

Usually not worth it, unless it's an expensive machine or some rare/not available here.

Actually we found out in a previous post it's charged on the price paid in the country it was bought.

I calculated a couple of prices on a BMW and a Harley , there was savings or 2 and 3 grand respectively.

Got a shipping quote back.....
    €500 plus vat :eek:
    Back to the drawing board.
    Anyone got an ABBA Skylift?
    Would it be a better option than a bench?

I had one, excellent piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,612 ✭✭✭This is it

I suppose you never know who you're talking to on here...

Anyway, a friend passed away today, doing what he loved most, riding his motorbike.A gentlemen that never steered anyone wrong. RIP Keith. You'll be sorely missed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

define worth it. Bought a new Honda in UK and shipped it in.

And I got the colour I wanted as distinct from the colour M50 wanted to give me.

Costs are simple: invoiced price + vrt + shipping + VAT. (as mentioned, pay UK VAT, then pay Irish VAT, then refund UK VAT).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Usually not worth it.

It brought a couple of bikes within my price range that wouldn't be here.

These same bikes are thousands cheaper across the boarder. Anyone know why ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,784 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Thinking of buying one of these.
    Anyone here have one?

https://toolsidee.co.uk/product/hbm-500-motor-lift-table-black-P1325.html

Well, I don't have that one exactly, but I do have one. At the time I sold off an F650 and instead of buying another bike, used the money to buy this: http://remo-motorradhebebuehnen.de/motorradbuehne-kaufen/

Actually, just found the pics: I have since 2002 !

The thing that swung it for me is the drop down rear section : makes rear wheel changes a breeze, and with the bike on the other way 'round, front fork work is a doddle.

513862.JPG

You will never regret buying a lift.

As for freight of €500, get a price ex-works and get a freight Co to price it. Do you know anyone in NI ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Well, I don't have that one exactly, but I do have one. At the time I sold off an F650 and instead of buying another bike, used the money to buy this: http://remo-motorradhebebuehnen.de/motorradbuehne-kaufen/

Actually, just found the pics: I have since 2002 !

The thing that swung it for me is the drop down rear section : makes rear wheel changes a breeze, and with the bike on the other way 'round, front fork work is a doddle.

513862.JPG

You will never regret buying a lift.

As for freight of €500, get a price ex-works and get a freight Co to price it. Do you know anyone in NI ?

I get sciatica from time to time so the days of working on stuff on the ground need to stop.
    I removed a collector from a bike a couple of weeks ago and I'd a sore back for a week after it.
    Not worth going through that everytime.

I had already checked out the crowd u got yours from.
    They have some lovely stuff.
    Not cheap but it looks like quality stuff.

I'm torn between a skylift and a bench at the moment.
    Obviously both have pro's and cons.
    The swingarm removal on the Skylift might swing it for but still not sure which to go for yet.
    Probably won't to get all the extras with the Skylift so it all adds up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

This is it wrote: »

Anyway, a friend passed away today, doing what he loved most, riding his motorbike.A gentlemen that never steered anyone wrong. RIP Keith. You'll be sorely missed.

Sorry to hear about your friend, like many here I've lost a lot of friends to motorbike crashes, it sucks big time.

Was he a poster here?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    With this high winds am I better off taking the cover off my bike? Looking out the window its like a sail!

I did that this morning. I do have the bike tethered to the wall also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Take it off tbh. I made that mistake with mine and bike ended up on the ground. Thankfully the cover took the brunt of the damage and bike was fine but I was very lucky.

Screenshot-20200522-173304.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

lennymc wrote: »
    So for the past couple of days, i have been riding a 131 fjr1300 (essentially). Here is my review:
    - Ergonomics:
    It's comfy, bit of a wide seat, but comfy over long spins. The handlebars are at a nice height and width. The switchgear is a bit all over the place, lots of buttons for controlling the heated grips, electric screen, and various menus. I kept having to look to see what I was hitting when trying to cancel indicators for example. Lot s of weather protection, and adjustable screen means that you can adjust away to your hearts content. Mirrors were good, and i think placed to deflect wind from your hands.
    7/10, good, but not setting the world alight
    - Handling:
    For a big bike, it is flickable. 265kg dry (apparently) plus gear, rider, liquids and loaded panniers, but still flickable on twisty r roads, good visibility and seating position meant you could easily plan your path through the turns. Good tyres and suspension helps.
    7/10, good, not a sports bike, but you can still make rapid progress
    - Engine:
    Grunty motor, with a 8500 or so redline, 135 NM torque, gave lots of acceleration. Going to the redline isn't necessary, lots of mid range shove. leave it in 3rd or 4th and just use the throttle through the corners. This was the 5 spd box, and 5th was fine, but for motorways, it did feel like a 6th gear would be beneficial.
    8/10 - grunt, grunt and more grunt. I was surprised at the grunt.
    - Brakes:
    Nothing exceptional here, they slowed and stopped me. ABS was unobtrusive on the limit, although you could feel the tyre locking. Brought the bike down from speed happily enough.
    7/10

All in all, a hefty bike that can be swiftly ridden on irish roads, while carrying lots of stuff. I would consider one of these at some stage in the future.

Did you visit Mayo on it a few days ago? Had you a mate riding along with ya?

The biggest problem you'll run into is getting the fairings off. Pig of a thing the first time ya do it. Do it wrong and you'll end up breaking the retaining pin.

Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bike is down with Rebel motors, and again to give absolute credit to the lads I got a call about an hour after it arrived.

I've ordered a new wheel, but it's coming over from the US at a price of €350. Here's hoping I don't get hit by an import tax.

What's especially **** is that after losing my job, the bike is the one thing I had to really keep me sane while I look for work.

• Advertisement

Just go straight in no kissing. Very hard to go wrong with a service once you take your time

I’ve plenty of experience doing that part :pac:

The biggest problem you'll run into is getting the fairings off. Pig of a thing the first time ya do it. Do it wrong and you'll end up breaking the retaining pin.

Best of luck with it.

I’ve seen that on YouTube videos, I’ll be cautious of it.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Bike is down with Rebel motors, and again to give absolute credit to the lads I got a call about an hour after it arrived.

I've ordered a new wheel, but it's coming over from the US at a price of €350. Here's hoping I don't get hit by an import tax.

What's especially **** is that after losing my job, the bike is the one thing I had to really keep me sane while I look for work.

You’re happy enough with his communication so far so?

€350? Bloody steep. Did you try to source a secondhand one? I bought stuff in the US and each time I was hit with import taxes, customs are all over that stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

€350? Bloody steep. Did you try to source a secondhand one? I bought stuff in the US and each time I was hit with import taxes, customs are all over that stuff.

Same here Sonics2, ordered a 2nd hand radiator from a private sale in US. Got hit for customs.

Be prepared, it's steep enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Did you visit Mayo on it a few days ago? Had you a mate riding along with ya?

no, dundalk - cavan - drogheda area mostly. I was on my own.

tumblr_nhii21YwdX1tqkvdoo1_400.jpg

lennymc wrote: »
    no, dundalk - cavan - drogheda area mostly. I was on my own.

tumblr_nhii21YwdX1tqkvdoo1_400.jpg
    😀
    I met two grey metallic FJR's riding in tandem, exactly the same attire. That's why I was being nosey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

��
    I met two grey metallic FJR's riding in tandem, exactly the same attire. That's why I was being nosey.

no worries. This fjr kinda jumps out at you. It's hard to miss.

514113.jpeg

I do some volunteering with one of the local blood bike groups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

His communication has been spot on to be fair to him.

€350 is for a second hand one from ebay. Given the year of the bike getting one new from Yamaha would cost twice as much and take months. Had a browse around on a few sites and all the second hand ones we could find were by and large ****e quality.

Anyone have an idea what the import fee would be?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    His communication has been spot on to be fair to him.

€350 is for a second hand one from ebay. Given the year of the bike getting one new from Yamaha would cost twice as much and take months. Had a browse around on a few sites and all the second hand ones we could find were by and large ****e quality.

Anyone have an idea what the import fee would be?

I think it's 23% of price you paid for wheel and shipping.
    Then handling fee of €10 or €15 depending on who's delivering.
    Chances are you'll be caught alright so factor in that.
    If by chance you escape duty, think of it as a bonus.

• Advertisement

I need to get out more. 42 of these miles were done last night

7-F44-BC0-C-B46-D-4-F4-E-A5-A4-B412-AA93292-C.jpg

Advertisement