Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

yeah, new (different) bike will help re0ignite the mojo. You could upgrade a few bits on the superfour, or change it for. different kind of bike, or look to do something outside of the commute. Back in the day, there were bike rallies, but not sure if they still go ahead. what year/version superfour is it? I had ones years ago, cracking little bike)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

lennymc wrote: »
    yeah, new (different) bike will help re0ignite the mojo. You could upgrade a few bits on the superfour, or change it for. different kind of bike, or look to do something outside of the commute. Back in the day, there were bike rallies, but not sure if they still go ahead. what year/version superfour is it? I had ones years ago, cracking little bike)

She's a 1993. Looks wise, she's a bit rough, but mechanically she's always run like clockwork. Nice bike to ride, but all I've done on her for the last two years now is city or motorway riding. It's no craic.

I wouldn't do much to upgrade her, but I've had my eye on a Triumph Bobber since they came out in 2017. Just trying to justify the cost! If I can't swing that, I'm thinking a Bonneville T100. Test drove both of them and they're absolutely lovely to ride.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

She's a 1993. Looks wise, she's a bit rough, but mechanically she's always run like clockwork. Nice bike to ride, but all I've done on her for the last two years now is city or motorway riding. It's no craic.

I wouldn't do much to upgrade her, but I've had my eye on a Triumph Bobber since they came out in 2017. Just trying to justify the cost! If I can't swing that, I'm thinking a Bonneville T100. Test drove both of them and they're absolutely lovely to ride.

Maybe the problem is the route rather than the bike. Going up and down a motorway seems a great way to kill the joy of motorcycling. They are built for cars to get from A to B.
    Buy a jalopy for work and take to the A and R roads on your bike, strictly for fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Jimmy, take a week off from using the bike to commute, 1 week and you’ll be wondering why you entertained the thought. For me, it guarantees I’ll be at my destination on time and saves about an hour each way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Always thought V-Max owners were a bit sus :P

Anyone else notice the back tyre is fully flat?

Mad stuff altogether Ted.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Find a group, go for a spin. I do the horrible commutes year round too and I actually miss them now while working from home but a group spin on some nice roads is the main reason I own a bike. There's plenty of lads on here that meet up and I'm sure you'd be welcome to join them or just post up on the Sunday spin thread. Consider doing the photo rally ireland for a reason to get out, I use it just to ride different routes to my usual spins.

Finally, its definitely time for a new bike.

Cheers, all.

I think the new bike suggestion is good. Unfortunately I'm fairly tied financially until next year due to study, but would there be anything worth getting in the €2-3k range that'd be a step up from the Super Four? I'd be hoping to get a few quid for the Four, obv, and can try save a bit to throw toward a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Always thought V-Max owners were a bit sus :P

Anyone else notice the back tyre is fully flat?

Mad stuff altogether Ted.

There’s a slit ripped into the fuel can also, picture gets wilder lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Reading this book at the moment, seeing as I’m studying for the Theory Test and IBT I seen this book recommended, learn from the higher levels to learn best practices but thought I’d pop it up if anyone is interested.

Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0117081884/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Nx5cnMyCRm8XF

Cheers, all.

I think the new bike suggestion is good. Unfortunately I'm fairly tied financially until next year due to study, but would there be anything worth getting in the €2-3k range that'd be a step up from the Super Four? I'd be hoping to get a few quid for the Four, obv, and can try save a bit to throw toward a new one.

2 - 3 should get you a nice machine - blackbird would be well able for that commute with lots of power and reliability, early litre bikes, 600s, bandits, cruisers, there really is a lot out there for that money.

• Advertisement

lennymc wrote: »
    2 - 3 should get you a nice machine - blackbird would be well able for that commute with lots of power and reliability, early litre bikes, 600s, bandits, cruisers, there really is a lot out there for that money.

Funny, mate of mine recommended a Blackbird to me only an hour ago. I'm still not well clued up on a fair number of bikes, particularly big engined ones.

Kinda shocked how many solid bikes there are for under €2500 though. Currently looking at Blackbirds, Varaderos and Firestorms. Might leave off the Triumph til I can afford the one I want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Funny, mate of mine recommended a Blackbird to me only an hour ago. I'm still not well clued up on a fair number of bikes, particularly big engined ones.

Kinda shocked how many solid bikes there are for under €2500 though. Currently looking at Blackbirds, Varaderos and Firestorms. Might leave off the Triumph til I can afford the one I want.

Firestorms are thirsty just so u know.
    Also they are prone to cracking where the headstock is welded to the frame.
    So check for a hairline crack running down the weld.
    They sound great.

I see my brother's old one for sale on donedeal for about 1k more than he sold it for around 5 years ago.

It does looked well cared for though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

what are your views on a Hyosung gv 650? ive read the old threads but recent online discussions seem to suggest their reliability and finish has improved alot from 2006 onwards. There are a few 2010 models for about 2.5k

I sold my blackbird so im on the lookout for something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Reading this book at the moment, seeing as I’m studying for the Theory Test and IBT I seen this book recommended, learn from the higher levels to learn best practices but thought I’d pop it up if anyone is interested.

Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0117081884/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_Nx5cnMyCRm8XF

Bought it myself, it arrived this morning. Looking forward to reading it while the wife is doing bottle feeds :pac:

CCF42405-CC31-4-A87-9-EEE-E49-C54190453.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    What are people wearing in this heat on the bike? I wore my textile jacket out today and I practically needed to cut it off me afterwards :pac:

Wife beaters, Camouflage Shorts and sandels.
    I'm tough though :pac:

i think for the commute, the blackbird would be the one to go for, it is also something you could grow into. The firestorm is thirsty, the varadero has the same motor and is thirsty too iirc.

What are people wearing in this heat on the bike? I wore my textile jacket out today and I practically needed to cut it off me afterwards :pac:

was wondering this myself at the weekend as I melted in full textile gear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Colour of the gear and number of vents can be key.

If your gear was sand or white coloured then you'd be amazed at the degrees it takes off.

Black literally sucks anything thrown at it into it. And then you. Your only saving grace is vents and speed.

True story

6676-DA8-E-97-D1-4544-A058-C6-FB712-AE7-A7.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I have a very silly question which I don't think deserves its own thread.

If you were to head on holiday to do a trip on a motorbike and wanted to bring your own helmet

Is it safe enough to carry it in a suitcase for undercarriage on an airplane ? Or is that totally crazy ?

• Advertisement

Photo courtesy of Jeff Smith on Facebook. I have never seen such a setup like this, would it even be legal in Ireland or the UK?

76-B09-B48-5303-40-E5-AC31-15-CB18-A278-F8.jpg

Photo courtesy of Jeff Smith on Facebook. I have never seen such a setup like this, would it even be legal in Ireland or the UK?

Even if it was, would ya fancy a sharp brake?

Not a chance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I have always brought my racing lid as a carry on. Wouldnt trust those lads throwing bags into the hold. I have one of these:

https://www.demon-tweeks.com/uk/demon-tweeks-helmet-bag-dtmdthb/

You can a slightly bigger one if you wanted a little more storage space.

Many thanks, carry on is a good idea actually.

Just happy to know there are options and no hassle with airport security etc

I May invest in that bag too

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Many thanks, carry on is a good idea actually.

Just happy to know there are options and no hassle with airport security etc

I May invest in that bag too

I brought a helmet as a carry on from the uk a couple of years ago with no problem.

I was also wearing a padded hoodie and boots :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Gas, the trek is what, 9kg? maybe 3kg for the rack holding it, so 12kg levered off the back carrier with a cog 2 foot behind the bike:pac: yanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,362 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Jaysus. Remember that dreamer who didn't have a bike licence but wanted to get one to carry a surfboard...?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

Brilliant. Still have a pillion, and an extra seat for the sprog. Well tied on, of course! :P

Got a good deal here from Sean Delaney & Son in Glanmire, Cork.

EE0188-DE-BF3-F-4-D0-D-A7-DC-9-EBD93-CFA86-B.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

In fairness they are good to deal with, I've dealt with them before for stuff and was very happy with their service and prices.

Advertisement