Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Try this email dmc@revenue.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'll give it a shot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

More details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

blade1 wrote: »
    Anyone ever buy a bike from U.S. and get it shipped to Ireland?
    Too much hassle/cost???

I did this a few years ago but from Canada.

It wasn't as bad as you would think, but there are a few things to consider.

First, if you own the vehicle for more than 6 months and if you lived abroad, you are exempt from the fees of importing, at least this was the case when I did it a 2 years ago. You just have to show that you lived abroad and prove it (things like pay stubs, rent cheques, phone bills etc). You do this at the port of entry, so I did it at the airport, took about 3 hours or so. If you are successful with that, you then have to get it to the NCT place to register it, show the bike and the ownership forms etc.

Cost of shipping the bike was about $1300 CAD, so not too bad really. It was fairly simple for me due the Canada using KPH.

The next hurdle for me then was licensing and insurance, that is where the real costs came in, and those hurt. I ended up moving back to Canada and shipped the bike back as well.

Air Canada do a ship your bike offer but it is suspended currently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Gintonious wrote: »
    I did this a few years ago but from Canada.

It wasn't as bad as you would think, but there are a few things to consider.

First, if you own the vehicle for more than 6 months and if you lived abroad, you are exempt from the fees of importing, at least this was the case when I did it a 2 years ago. You just have to show that you lived abroad and prove it (things like pay stubs, rent cheques, phone bills etc). You do this at the port of entry, so I did it at the airport, took about 3 hours or so. If you are successful with that, you then have to get it to the NCT place to register it, show the bike and the ownership forms etc.

Cost of shipping the bike was about $1300 CAD, so not too bad really. It was fairly simple for me due the Canada using KPH.

The next hurdle for me then was licensing and insurance, that is where the real costs came in, and those hurt. I ended up moving back to Canada and shipped the bike back as well.

Air Canada do a ship your bike offer but it is suspended currently.

Thanks for that!
    I'd have no problem once the bike is here.
    Main concern is getting bike in a crate and getting bike to Ireland from California.
    I have no connection with California.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,836 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Thanks for that!
    I'd have no problem once the bike is here.
    Main concern is getting bike in a crate and getting bike to Ireland from California.
    I have no connection with California.

You might have to pay import fees, this is where my knowledge would tap out I'm afraid.

Having said that, it is usually based off the value of the bike (I think anyway).

The easiest route will be to fly it, but that seems tougher now due to every airline on the earth suffering. It is simple enough to do though, they secure it in the belly of the plane, just make sure the bike is low on fuel when you do that. Some hauliers want the thing completely drained (oil, brake fluid, you name it), but when I used the company here in Canada, I just had to disconnect the batter, and even at that it was just because I wasn't sure what battery was in it.

I own 2 Harleys myself over here in Canada now, and since I can't stop thinking of moving. back home at some point, this type of thing is always on my mind.

horse7 wrote: »
    More details.

It's all over the place. Customs are saying it's absolutely been released to An Post. An Posts website says it's still in Dublin.

After waiting on their Live Chat we got a stock answer basically saying "Yeah sorry it's taking a while."

After a bit of poking though we found that it's actually been delivered to the depot in Cork as of a few days ago and is just sitting there. But because they closed the Little Island office I can't just go and pick it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

The basics. Kill switch ;), sidestand switch, clutch switch
    Did you pull the plugs and check for dampness (fuel) ? Check that they spark when the engine is spinning on the starter?
    GBX wrote: »
    I've an 06 FZ1. When I last used it (months ago ) the bike wouldn't fire up. Figured it was the rotor again. Anyway, I left it sitting for some time and want to get it back on the road.

It has the updated rotor - which I've checked and all looks good. This morning I've just put a brand new fully charged battery in it and also a new reg/rec. Power to the bike but it won't start. The battery tries but it won't go fully - tried it twice - don't want to ruin a brand new battery. Any ideas on what or how to check why it's not firing up ?

Still trying this. New plugs put in, drained the tank fully and put new petrol in. Diagnostic mode has no errors - cleared previous error. Still not firing. Not any of the switches either. I'm stumped :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭gn3dr

GBX wrote: »
    Still trying this. New plugs put in, drained the tank fully and put new petrol in. Diagnostic mode has no errors - cleared previous error. Still not firing. Not any of the switches either. I'm stumped :(

When you say battery tries but it won't go fully do you mean that the engine won't turn over fully or that it half starts but won't run properly.

If it starts but won't run properly I'd be looking at fuel delivery - fuel pump, injectors stuck (I assume it's the injected one if '06)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

gn3dr wrote: »
    When you say battery tries but it won't go fully do you mean that the engine won't turn over fully or that it half starts but won't run properly.

If it starts but won't run properly I'd be looking at fuel delivery - fuel pump, injectors stuck (I assume it's the injected one if '06)

Yeah it's the 06 model. It tries turning over but won't fully burst into life. Possibly the starter motor is at fault. Will look at that next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Got some quote for the probable Blackbird purchase, Carole Nash literally halved their initial quote.

Only €600, so that's settled what I'll be buying in the next few months!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Got some quote for the probable Blackbird purchase, Carole Nash literally halved their initial quote.

Only €600, so that's settled what I'll be buying in the next few months!

They were going to charge you 1200? Wow

They were going to charge you 1200? Wow

Yep. Principal came in at €900 TPFT, so for CN to come in at €600 comp and €375 TPFT leaves me a happy man today.

Now, that's dependent on me buying a Bird and renewing my policy with them within the next month, so the question is, do I rush a purchase or chance the same (or better) quote being there in a few months?
    Open to advice on that one, as I'd planned to save up for a few months (and sell the Super Four) to finance the Blackbird.

Yep. Principal came in at €900 TPFT, so for CN to come in at €600 comp and €375 TPFT leaves me a happy man today.

Now, that's dependent on me buying a Bird and renewing my policy with them within the next month, so the question is, do I rush a purchase or chance the same (or better) quote being there in a few months?
    Open to advice on that one, as I'd planned to save up for a few months (and sell the Super Four) to finance the Blackbird.

I would think it won’t be too far off that but if you are happy with the quote then you probably won’t save that much by holding on a few months. Maybe ring another place and see what the average is.

I would think it won’t be too far off that but if you are happy with the quote then you probably won’t save that much by holding on a few months. Maybe ring another place and see what the

No, I literally mean saving up cash for the bike rather than taking out a loan! :D

No, I literally mean saving up cash for the bike rather than taking out a loan! :D

Ha think we all flitter between both at these times lol

My first half decent spin since lockdown began and it felt great.
    I had dropped this front tyre to a place for fitting the week before lockdown and couldn't get it fitted until he opened up last week.

Got 100 miles up on it today anyway.

IMG-20200613-151104.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

My first half decent spin since lockdown began and it felt great.
    I had dropped this front tyre to a place for fitting the week before lockdown and couldn't get it fitted until he opened up last week.

Got 100 miles up on it today anyway.

IMG-20200613-151104.jpg

Looking good! Did Mick do it for you? Due a trip down to him.

Tried to remove these eyesores this evening, I not to discover they are hardwired into the bike. Do I cut off the wire and tape up the remains or get it properly removed?

D10-E8-A0-D-0-A0-E-489-A-97-D0-E40352-AD2-BEF.jpg

0-D0-A7781-BEFA-4-B8-F-B490-AC76-CD5-A6-AD6.jpg

Looking good! Did Mick do it for you? Did a trip down to him.
    He did.
    Did he do something for you?
    Spot anything you'd fancy?

Tried to remove these eyesores this evening, I not to discover they are hardwired into the bike. Do I cut off the wire and tape up the remains or get it properly removed?

I'd rather get rid off them completely myself but that's just me.
    Probably wouldn't sleep at night knowing there's taped up wires where they shouldn't be! :pac:

• Advertisement

He did.
    Did he do something for you?
    Spot anything you'd fancy?

I'd rather get rid off them completely myself but that's just me.
    Probably wouldn't sleep at night knowing there's taped up wires where they shouldn't be! :pac:

I meant to write due, not did, I’m fine very bad for not checking the predictive text lately. He wants to look at the blade to try and get her looking pretty again.

I’m the same I want rid of them, I need to learn how to take apart the dash I think, the thought of chopped wires would make me uneasy. I hope they are just plug n play

I meant to write due, not did, I’m fine very bad for not checking the predictive text lately. He wants to look at the blade to try and get her looking pretty again.

I’m the same I want rid of them, I need to learn how to take apart the dash I think, the thought of chopped wires would make me uneasy. I hope they are just plug n play

You may not have to touch the clocks.
    I'd say they are connected to the original indicators somewhere.
    When you take the indicators off just follow the wires.
    If the person that fitted them was sensible, they would connect them somewhere that's easily accessible.

You may not have to touch the clocks.
    I'd say they are connected to the original indicators somewhere.
    When you take the indicators off just follow the wires.
    If the person that fitted them was sensible, they would connect them somewhere that's easily accessible.

I’m hoping not to go at the clocks, I just need to figure out how to remove them. I probably should have looked in yesterday while the fairing was off.

Judging by the overall condition of the bike I’m hoping they were indeed sensible.

Looking to get the chrome surrounds as in this video, can’t find them on their own website, anyone know where they can be got or what they’re called

https://youtu.be/9JJZWMtGHI4

ITV 4 now lads. Isle of Man tt

Collected my Dragstar this morning from Rebel Motorcycles in Cork. Was a bit more expensive than I would have liked, but a fantastic job was done all the same.

Planning on respraying and blacking out the chrome on it when time and money is better. Any recommendations?

I've heard Ger Conlon is great, but he's quite hard to get a hold of.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Collected my Dragstar this morning from Rebel Motorcycles in Cork. Was a bit more expensive than I would have liked, but a fantastic job was done all the same.

Planning on respraying and blacking out the chrome on it when time and money is better. Any recommendations?

I've heard Ger Conlon is great, but he's quite hard to get a hold of.

I’ve been like that as well, re: the price.

There’s a photo of your bike on his Facebook page.

Ger is easy to get hold of, well any time I’ve mailed him on Facebook or called in anyway.

I’ve been like that as well, re: the price.

There’s a photo of your bike on his Facebook page.

Ger is easy to get hold of, well any time I’ve mailed him on Facebook or called in anyway.

He got a good photo to be fair to him.

I'll try and stop into him next week so, heard he's sound out.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    He got a good photo to be fair to him.

I'll try and stop into him next week so, heard he's sound out.

It’s impressive to be fair, you keep the bike well.

Ger is bang on, very quiet chap. Had work done by him around 2 months ago. Very high standard even if it was only fork bottoms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

Ger does great work in fairness, I've seen his work up close and few guys I know wouldn't go beyond him. I got work done a few years ago by IG car solution on FB.
    Definitely worth a chat with imo.

Advertisement