Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Both forks have started to leak on my NC. Should I just replace the Dust and oil seals or should I buy a full kit with sliders bushings washers etc. Full kit is around 60 euro not including oil. So not too steep

Can anyone tell me if this set covers both forks or just one fork
    https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/all-balls-racing-fork-oil-seal-and-dust-seal-set-57776-p.asp

All balls generally fit both forks. If I was doing that job I’d do the lot. Genuine is listing at 24.80€ per leg for seals and bushings so not a bad price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Banana Republic.

Had arranged to go see (and likely buy) a Blackbird on Saturday. Looked absolutely perfect, mint condition, luggage, the works.

Got my finance sorted, mate sorted to come check it with me...

Got a text this evening that it had just been sold. Bit gutted, but them's the breaks.

That’s a nuts anyway, hopefully another one will be around the corner for you. Be gutted for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

That’s a nuts anyway, hopefully another one will be around the corner for you. Be gutted for sure.

Have the next one sussed already :D
    Bit more expensive, so I'll need to wait til payday in three weeks see if she's still available! Ah the drama. Fun though, to be able to bike shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

I'm an absolute clown.

After two weeks only today I look at the box of my helmet and it says pinlock included. I didn't realize it was on a thin gel thing !

Just fitted it there and testing it out and it works a treat

And to think I did my driving test in the pissing rain and wind without the pin lock ! Along with bad weather recently and slow riding the helmet was fogging up bad !

What a numpty I am !

• Advertisement

Total shot in the dark lads, but is there anyone down Clare direction who knows bikes well enough to do a small pre-buy inspection?

There's a bike I'm interested in looking at but I don't really have much mechanical knowledge myself.

Total shot in the dark lads, but is there anyone down Clare direction who knows bikes well enough to do a small pre-buy inspection?

There's a bike I'm interested in looking at but I don't really have much mechanical knowledge myself.

Heading down tomorrow, so if anyone is close to there and can give a quick look over, I'd be very grateful!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Heading down tomorrow, so if anyone is close to there and can give a quick look over, I'd be very grateful!

No where near Clare Jimmy but if you want to pm me a link to the bike it may be a little help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭kokiyou

Possibly better to make my own thread but here goes:

First bike would love a SV650 - I assume:
    1. importing from NI / UK is cheaper even via a delivery company. Anyone know of any reliable places I should reach out to on this matter?

2. I also need complete gear, (IBT and learner permit got, age: 30+ NCB active on my car) - is gear shopping all messed up now with Coronavirus - like I couldn't actually go in and try things on properly in different sizes like is happening with regular clothes stores?

For both, I mainly want something reliable, usable that won't get me killed in my first few weeks riding - thank you all

kokiyou wrote: »

1. importing from NI / UK is cheaper even via a delivery company. Anyone know of any reliable places I should reach out to on this matter?

2. I also need complete gear, (IBT and learner permit got, age: 30+ NCB active on my car) - is gear shopping all messed up now with Coronavirus - like I couldn't actually go in and try things on properly in different sizes like is happening with regular clothes stores?

For both, I mainly want something reliable, usable that won't get me killed in my first few weeks riding - thank you all

1: I think it varies a bit. UK is definitely worth a look if you want something specific, but you might be surprised at how little difference there is with prices on some bikes. Ted's Trucking seemed to done recommended for shipping over from the UK.

2) I don't believe your car NCB will make any impact on your bike insurance. For gear shopping, go into a bike shop if there's one near you, Cotters in Dublin for example. They'll recommend lower end gear that's safe, visible and won't break the bank.

Remember though, it's not the bike or the gear that'll save you from harm on the road - it's you. Bikes aren't dangerous, they'll happily sit there forever and not harm a soul if nobody sits on them. It's the rider that's dangerous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I think the bigger difference you're going to see by going to the UK to buy an SV is you'll generally find a UK bike in better condition, much better and mostly original.

The SV is a great learners bike, but like the Suzuki Bandit 600 they're usually in bits (Irish bikes). The UK also have to MOT their bikes, which generally keeps them in better nick than here.

If you're going for an SV go for the 'pointy' and not the 'curvy' and try to buy an original bike.

I like the SV's and actually like the Curvy more than the Pointy but as a learner go for the Pointy. And yes, Ted's Trucks are the people for transporting a bike from the UK, I used him to bring a Ducati over.

Have the next one sussed already :D
    Bit more expensive, so I'll need to wait til payday in three weeks see if she's still available! Ah the drama. Fun though, to be able to bike shop.

Yea man can’t wait to get bike shopping at the end of August. I’ve a few ppl who know bikes well so be happy to have that knowledge. Any tips?

In regards to gear I’m sure you can go in and try things on also try your local IBT Centre as they can’t use the PPE gear anymore do they’ll be more likely selling it off at great discounts and will stock all good gear. My IBT instructor that I booked said this to me so I’m sure it’s country wide. Make sure you buy your helmet and fit it on in store. I got a great helmet for €135 with the pinlock. That would be another tip to make sure Helmet has pinlock.

Looking for a bike mechanic recommendation lads.

RPM (Ronan Pentony Motorcycles) is closest to me in Drogheda, but I also had a bike in Ashbourne Motorcycle Centre before and it seemed fine. Same with GP Motos in Finglas.

However, I'm open to any recommendations including and not including the above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Looking for a bike mechanic recommendation lads.

RPM (Ronan Pentony Motorcycles) is closest to me in Drogheda, but I also had a bike in Ashbourne Motorcycle Centre before and it seemed fine. Same with GP Motos in Finglas.

However, I'm open to any recommendations including and not including the above.

Kennedy's in Drogheda town, CCs unlimited in Kells (might be a bit far). Still rate Pento very highly.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,008 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Pento is spot on.

Cheers lads.

Mate of mine just strongly recommended City Spares, I'm gonna guess they're also a solid choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭goblin59

1: I did this in January for my first bike.
    The regulations on motorcycles are the same as cars in the UK, they have to go through a mandatory NCT every year.
    Make sure when you get the bike they give you the log book and proof of most recent MOT.
    If they fail to give you either walk away, you can't import the bike to ROI without both and the DVLA no longer ships out new V5C's if the bike is taken out of state.
    when you do a change of ownership on the online DVLA system as soon as a non UK address is entered for the new owner the bike is automatically flagged as exported and V5C's can no longer be created for it.
    I got a 2nd hand 2012 BMW F650GS twin from Craig at Suffolk Motors, with no issues, had it delivered to Holyhead port for me, Dad took the ferry over and drove it back.
    I had my insurace set to start on the day of the ferry.
    Still saved quite a bit of money doing it this way than if i bought in ireland. Plus there was basically no F650GS's for sale here.

I was looking at the SV650 though originally.

2) get you're helmet locally, these need to be properly fitted
    you're PPE you can get online or else second hand once you know your sizing. I got a good Airoh helmet from cotters for €200 with double D rings and pinlock.

I would recommend trying out boots too, i got Oxford gear off ebay, but i would get different boots if buying again.

I'm 30, car NCB wasn't even considered for my insurance as theyre two different vehicle categories.
    Insurance on the F650GS which has a 798cc engine is about €600 for the year as a first time learner on 3rd party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Has anyone here done tiktok videos with their kids/nieces/nephews? I know this is a motorcycle forum and yer all thinking has that daft fúcker in Cork lost the plot, I haven’t, all will become apparent, there is a connection between the 2 on my end.

Has anyone here done tiktok videos with their kids/nieces/nephews? I know this is a motorcycle forum and yer all thinking has that daft fúcker in Cork lost the plot, I haven’t, all will become apparent, there is a connection between the 2 on my end.

My eldest lad is big into it, uploads at least once a day, personally I haven't a notion, looking at they're all mad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

bladespin wrote: »
    My eldest lad is big into it, uploads at least once a day, personally I haven't a notion, looking at they're all mad.

I haven’t a notion either, I think the same if I’m honest, all mad, that bloody theme tune is on around the clock in my house. My wife and daughter have said they will buy me another bike upto €2k if I do a few videos, I’ve refused point blank so far, but a look on DoneDeal is making me think again. I’d like something such as a 80’s to mid 90’s sports bike.

I haven’t a notion either, I think the same if I’m honest, all mad, that bloody theme tune is on around the clock in my house. My wife and daughter have said they will buy me another bike upto €2k if I do a few videos, I’ve refused point blank so far, but a look on DoneDeal is making me think again. I’d like something such as a 80’s to mid 90’s sports bike.

For a few videos absolutely and getting a new bike for it Yes please :D

Feck, if they offered me a deal like that I'd do it in the morning if I was getting a bike out of it.

New bike ? Sign me up! I've done worse in life than a few videos. Think of it this way, if you do a video it will generally be viewed by randomers out there and you won't lose any shame with your mates :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Jaysus lad, for that money and a new bike I'd certainly do it. I'll be your stunt double if you want!

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Jaysus lad, for that money and a new bike I'd certainly do it. I'll be your stunt double if you want!

Hahaha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,357 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Black visor and a non speaking part :)

TikTok is a Chinese government data grab / trojan horse though

Scrap the cap!

Im juggling ideas of the next bike. My want for a Super Tenere is likely to be stifled because of its bulk. I would likely need to park it outside as there would be no way to get it down the side gate without major surgery to the fence/gate. And I cant lob down an anchor outside the gate. Not a risk id be willing to take! So no other options :(

One bike I like and could manage to live with would be a Tiger 800 XRx/XR, I'd be looking at a 2015 onwards.
    Any feedback from owners current or previous? What to look out for or anything of note in owning one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

GBX wrote: »
    Im juggling ideas of the next bike. My want for a Super Tenere is likely to be stifled because of its bulk. I would likely need to park it outside as there would be no way to get it down the side gate without major surgery to the fence/gate. And I cant lob down an anchor outside the gate. Not a risk id be willing to take! So no other options :(

One bike I like and could manage to live with would be a Tiger 800 XRx/XR, I'd be looking at a 2015 onwards.
    Any feedback from owners current or previous? What to look out for or anything of note in owning one?

surgery the fence and gate :D:D !!

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    surgery the fence and gate :D:D !!

I know that's the obvious thing to do! If I started that id get asked about the list of other stuff that needs doing round the house and it not being a priority :D One has to choose their battles carefully ;)

Advertisement