Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I never once taught about who was in the wrong or right watching that....I just dont care. The lad is gone in the blink of an eye......yes it could have been avoided if he was going slower no doubt. He really was moving for such a busy junction. But in the here and now its all totally irrelevant.....

It's hardly "such a busy junction" it looks to be a junction of the equivalent of one of our 'N' roads (which the bike was on with right of way) and a smaller regional road. :confused:

How is there no doubt that it could have been avoided had the bike been going slower? The speed limit is 60mph - if he hit the car at that speed he'd likely have ended up being dead also.

Reading the report, motorists behind the car which caused the accident testified that they were able to see the bike prior to the car pulling out. Good to see a conviction for the car driver in cases like this, too often you hear of no action being taken against them - I wonder can a civil case now follow by the rider's family?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did the car driver see the bike but didn't realise he would be on top of him that quick?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

blade1 wrote: »
    Did the car driver see the bike but didn't realise he would be on top of him that quick?

I read that the driver admitted he didn't look and didn't see the bike at all.
    I really think the speed of the lad is irrelevant. It'd be one thing if the driver had said "yeah I saw the bike but thought I had time to make the turn", then yes, the speed of the bike would've been a big factor but by his own admission he didn't look, didn't see, like so many others, and presumed he was turning into an empty road.

My own experience was a crash quite similar to this, main difference that I'm still alive thankfully (although seriously injured) and the van that hit me was coming out of a side road on my left hand side into a junction just like that (another didn't look, didn't see prick). That experience has made me ultra paranoid when approaching junctions like that. I'm like a fooking meerkat up on the bike watching and observing.

To answer Simona's question, the family can take a civil case.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭prunudo

goodlad wrote: »

The fact is though. Any car driver that looks at that video is just going to see the speed of the bike and say he was going too fast ... blah blah... bloody bikes.... Its bikers seeing that video that will take a lesson from it and slow down when approaching junctions to hopefully minimize the risks of these kinda things happening.

Nail on the head there Goodlad. I hear it all the time from people, the speed of this lad the speed of the other guy. The majority of car drivers think we all fly around the place with no regard for our own safety, while they daydream their way around in their little steel bubble.

I read that the driver admitted he didn't look and didn't see the bike at all.
    I really think the speed of the lad is irrelevant. It'd be one thing if the driver had said "yeah I saw the bike but thought I had time to make the turn", then yes, the speed of the bike would've been a big factor but by his own admission he didn't look, didn't see, like so many others, and presumed he was turning into an empty road.

My own experience was a crash quite similar to this, main difference that I'm still alive thankfully (although seriously injured) and the van that hit me was coming out of a side road on my left hand side into a junction just like that (another didn't look, didn't see prick). That experience has made me ultra paranoid when approaching junctions like that. I'm like a fooking meerkat up on the bike watching and observing.

To answer Simona's question, the family can take a civil case.
    ah right.
    I watched it on my phone and couldn't make out when the car started turning.
    Horrible to see but a reminder how quick it can be game over.
    It has made me sit down and think of the friends and guys I have met down through the years that are no longer here.
    R.I.P.

• Advertisement

jvan wrote: »
    Nail on the head there Goodlad. I hear it all the time from people, the speed of this lad the speed of the other guy. The majority of car drivers people think we all fly around the place with no regard for our own safety, while they daydream their way around in their little steel bubble.

FYP.
    A lot of people are just terrified of motorbikes and think they're death machines and therefore they will always look at them as being dangerous. These are the same type of people who, if they saw you driving at the speed limit or under the speed limit they'd still be convinced you're doing 200mph because bikes just terrify them.

FYP.
    A lot of people are just terrified of motorbikes and think they're death machines and therefore they will always look at them as being dangerous. These are the same type of people who, if they saw you driving at the speed limit or under the speed limit they'd still be convinced you're doing 200mph because bikes just terrify them.

Haha, like my neighbour this evening, telling me how a bike passed her at 200mph and scared the crap out of her. I said, Jesus that's some speed, yeah she says, it must have been 200 because I looked in my mirror and there was nothing, next thing I knew he flew by!

This might interest a few of ye.
    At the price I thought worth a mention anyway.
    I presume it's a fake fake but I have one already and find it well worth the price.
    Works out at under €43 delivered.

http://http://www.ebay.ie/itm/151401549506?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Simona1986 wrote: »
    It's hardly "such a busy junction" it looks to be a junction of the equivalent of one of our 'N' roads (which the bike was on with right of way) and a smaller regional road. :confused:

How is there no doubt that it could have been avoided had the bike been going slower? The speed limit is 60mph - if he hit the car at that speed he'd likely have ended up being dead also.

Reading the report, motorists behind the car which caused the accident testified that they were able to see the bike prior to the car pulling out. Good to see a conviction for the car driver in cases like this, too often you hear of no action being taken against them - I wonder can a civil case now follow by the rider's family?

If traffic can come from both the left and the right then its a busy junction for a motorbike IMHO. Also it goes without saying it could have been avoided if he was going slower just because its a 60mph road does not mean you have to do it. Again hindsight is all well and good, but I am not gonna sit here and pick the bones outta the video its a tragedy regardless of anyone's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

The reason the video hit me hard is because it was an actual footage and not staged or acted out...

I was a car driver first, before getting the bike and I was that person that swore he would never get on the bike!

I still have enough fear / respect for the bike to think twice when I'm on it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

It's a good video. We all like to give the throttle some welly the odd time, just be very careful where you do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

goodlad wrote: »
    The fact is though. Any car driver that looks at that video is just going to see the speed of the bike and say he was going too fast ... blah blah... bloody bikes.... Its bikers seeing that video that will take a lesson from it and slow down when approaching junctions to hopefully minimize the risks of these kinda things happening.

First comment below the article in the Indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/video-footage-from-helmet-camera-released-by-mother-after-sons-fatal-97mph-crash-30564829.html
    97mph...... how could you see someone coming at that speed.

:(

Why do we have to share the world with such stupid, awful people? It makes me sad.

DubVelo wrote: »
    First comment below the article in the Indo:
    http://www.independent.ie/world-news/europe/video-footage-from-helmet-camera-released-by-mother-after-sons-fatal-97mph-crash-30564829.html

:(

Why do we have to share the world with such stupid, awful people? It makes me sad.

Because thanks to the rsa, people are starting believing what they're told. We're being told everyday that speed kills, anything over a certain number and your a bad person, if you do 70 past ucd (60 zone, wide dual carragieway, bus lane and traffic is separated from cycle lane and footpath) they'll tell you that your a bad driver, slow down, speed kills etc etc. Then they release the figures of how many speeders there were in the last week and it sounds like a high figure.

Now what really causes accidents is people not paying attention, for example. Yesterday morning, I was driving the truck in towards Dublin, there's a speed van at the turn off for Enniskerry. I see it, I'm doing 80kph in 100, no problem, until the gob****es in front start jamming on the brakes down to 60kph because they don't know what speed the road is. As soon as thy see the scamera van they panic and nearly cause a pile up!
    Safety vans me hole.

End of rant.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

We're being told everyday that speed kills.

But, in fairness, doing 97mph in a 60mph zone is more likely to cause a more serious accident. They put speed limits on roads for reasons. A built up area, where there are more people, houses, junctions, cars, bikes, etc should have a much lower speed limit than an open motorway. You agree? Yeah, we can all do "what if", and hindsight is great, but if the biker was doing 60mph, he wouldn't have reached that spot at the same time, and may have missed the back of the car. Yes, clearly, the car driver was wrong and didn't pay enough attention too.

I won't say that I never speed, but in built up areas I do keep my speed under the limit. In/around town I keep it to 50/60, depending on the road limit.
    Now what really causes accidents is people not paying attention, for example. Yesterday morning, I was driving the truck in towards Dublin, there's a speed van at the turn off for Enniskerry. I see it, I'm doing 80kph in 100, no problem, until the gob****es in front start jamming on the brakes down to 60kph because they don't know what speed the road is. As soon as thy see the scamera van they panic and nearly cause a pile up!

While I agree with your point, it's not the fault of the safety van, it's the fault of the gobsh1te drivers who step on the breaks when there is no reason to. You often see it too when people spot a Garda car on the road. No matter what speed the Gardai are doing or what speed the person is doing, they slow down. More often than not, there is no reason to at all.

Any/every accident is tragic, and there is seldom just one cause of it. There are normally a number of factors that come together to cause it. But, if people paid more attention and stayed under the limit in built up areas, then there should be a lot less accidents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭DLMA23

Interesting some of the comments from non-bikers on the video in After Hours

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057284780

Lads do yourself a favour and don't read comments or threads on that video, it'll just fill you with anger.

Both are at fault in the video. Definitely the car is more at fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Its sad to think - and I know 'what if's' are useless - but what if that Aygo or whatever it was didn't let him pass..

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Not in to cycling at all but I thought this was deadly, both the rider and the pillion make it look easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I think I have had a helmet cam for nearly a year now and not once Have I recorded anything special or strange in that time. Yesterday I thought I was quids in when a lovely red Ferrari passed me coming onto the N4 but today topped that.

There was another biker behind me passing through Enfield. As we came through the second roundabout I heard an amazing roar of the other bike. With that he boots past me doing a wheelie & kept it going way into the distance:pac: So I would just like to say the that biker ( If he reads this ) That wheelie was AMAZBALLS:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

I'm wanting a camera now.
    But I don't want a posh one or anything stuck to the side of my helmet so I look the Borg.
    I was hoping to find something around €20-€40 otherwise I'll not bother.
    Options?

DubVelo wrote: »
    I'm wanting a camera now.
    But I don't want a posh one or anything stuck to the side of my helmet so I look the Borg.
    I was hoping to find something around €20-€40 otherwise I'll not bother.
    Options?

Look at post #789

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Yesterday I thought I was quids in when a lovely red Ferrari passed me coming onto the N4

There was another biker behind me passing through Enfield. As we came through the second roundabout I heard an amazing roar of the other bike. With that he boots past me doing a wheelie & kept it going way into the distance:pac: So I would just like to say the that biker ( If he reads this ) That wheelie was AMAZBALLS:)

HaHa Thought you were going to say boots the Ferrari, have to say I'm dissapointed :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Had a camera from day one, and in 2 weeks of commuting all I've picked up is lads driving up my hole and beeping, and a van nearly sideswiping me getting onto the N4 this morning. Definitely keeping it on, don't know why more people don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

On my way up to cotters to get my clutch cable fitted and it snaps!!! Stuck here near the M50 waiting for Adelaide Breakdown......ahhh the joys of biking guys. Should have got subway footlong when I stopped for juice!!!

Counting the amount of bikers that,not so much as waved at a fellow biker struck down on the side of the road with hunger pains louder then goodlads strom!!! Up to 8 now......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

On my way up to cotters to get my clutch cable fitted and it snaps!!! Stuck here near the M50 waiting for Adelaide Breakdown......ahhh the joys of biking guys. Should have got subway footlong when I stopped for juice!!!

Counting the amount of bikers that,not so much as waved at a fellow biker struck down on the side of the road with hunger pains louder then goodlads strom!!! Up to 8 now......

Ah man, well at least you're close to cotters because when my bike died they would only bring me and the bike a certain distance or they would charge me.

Keep us posted. Hope someone nearby gets the hint and gets a meatball sub out to you asap. Do you want a meal deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Nightmare scenario. Hope you get sorted soon

At least it's not raining. Last time I broke down it was outside someones house. They brought me in for tea!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Once had a clutch cable snap on me at the start of a (lashing wet) ride home from work on a Friday evening. Rode home with no clutch, rode into town on the Saturday morning to get a new cable and back home to fit it, then back into the shop again because they'd given me the wrong cable :rolleyes: but this time I brought the tools so I could fit it outside the shop!

Just start the bike in neutral, get it rolling a bit with your feet and bang it into first. Then you can go up and down the box no problem, although changing down can be a bit jerky. Either slip it into neutral at the last moment at a red light, or use the kill switch if you have to to stop, then put it into neutral.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lol brave man! There is no way I'd try to drive with a broken clutch cable!

Advertisement