Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Looks like a bypass. To me anyhow?
    Similar two wire connectors on sidestand switch.

Victorinox huntsman I'd say, but its hard to see the whole knife,any chance of a fuller pic?

Yeah im goin cadet...

I lolled as I'm corkin a beer with this one
    IMG-20200919-212042.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

zubair wrote: »
    Anyone watched the long way up yet? Is it a weekly release? I don't mind registering short term but don't need another TV sub with nothing to watch on it.

Watched the first episode last night, herself has the apple tv subscription for some reason. Cant say we watch a whole pile else on it, but there may be some on there. I enjoyed the first episode, decent watchðŸ‘

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Just back from a week in the south of Italy, didn't see half as many bikes as I expected and even less wearing some sort of bike gear. I know it's warm and all over there but jaysus it's mental...none of the gear, all of the time. Tshirts and shorts wholesale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

H_Lime wrote: »
    I lolled as I'm corkin a beer with this one

That's the kind of booze you buy when you've established and want to retain the moral high ground against the better half.

Sure I only had two beers darling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭heliguyheliguy

Victorinox huntsman I'd say, but its hard to see the whole knife,any chance of a fuller pic?

It's a rambler!

That's the kind of booze you buy when you've established and want to retain the moral high ground against the better half.

Sure I only had two beers darling..

Twos enough for me!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Twos enough for me!:D

Bleedin' rocket fuel!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

zubair wrote: »
    Not into cruisers but I'd love this.

Watched a few reviews of this, I'm very much a cruiser fan but this is just not grabbing me. Maybe it's just the Revzilla review but it didn't really come across like a loud and abrasive machine, which is kinda what you're looking for in a cruiser.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Took a wee spin up to that Phillip McCallen dealer to look at a bike.

Mentioned the issues about test drives on southern license but they let me out on it anyway... loved it and deposit put down. Now selling my own bike.

They're a sound bunch up there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Took a wee spin up to that Phillip McCallen dealer to look at a bike.

Mentioned the issues about test drives on southern license but they let me out on it anyway... loved it and deposit put down. Now selling my own bike.

They're a sound bunch up there.

What did you drive / buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Watched a few reviews of this, I'm very much a cruiser fan but this is just not grabbing me. Maybe it's just the Revzilla review but it didn't really come across like a loud and abrasive machine, which is kinda what you're looking for in a cruiser.

I saw one in an undisclosed location in Dublin and it looks a lot better in person. The proof is in the pudding though. I suspect it drives like a big R9T which would be perfect.

I'm personally waiting for the touring faired version and maybe trade the GSA in for it in about 2 years time before it starts loosing residual value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Maybe that's why I liked it haha. Plus it's just lovely looking, I think the tank and the massive chrome headers are gorgeous.

Now that you mention it, a bike rode past us in Naas yesterday when we were out for a walk with the little man. He was overtaking In a 50 zone, fairly sure he was well beyond that speed and was near the red line but he had straight pipes, and the poor little man didn't take his hands from his ears for 10 minutes afterwards. He normally loves bikes, understandably because I have one, but I'm afraid he's off them now after that experience. My ears were even ringing after it too.

From the vid it appears to have an alarming lack of ground clearence!

D3V!L wrote: »
    I saw one in an undisclosed location in Dublin and it looks a lot better in person. The proof is in the pudding though. I suspect it drives like a big R9T which would be perfect.

I'm personally waiting for the touring faired version and maybe trade the GSA in for it in about 2 years time before it starts loosing residual value.

Oh I'd love to see one in person, and certainly a big touring version too. And absolutely hear it in action. Imo a cruiser should have a nice rumble on the pipes, but from watching reviews this seems so... quiet and neat. It's very BMW.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

From the vid it appears to have an alarming lack of ground clearence!
    Watched the review but knew it was a non runner when she gouged the pegs getting out of the car park
    Could not see it making it over the sally gap without a refit
    J

But by god it does look so cool :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I was invited to the R18 launch/unveiling in Kearys in Cork. We were scheduled for an individual look at it, at 1/2 hour intervals. Unfortunately no spins.

It was in a small room, on a podium, with strategically placed lighting. and Retro BMW style gear strategically placed around. Think leather jackets, retro boots and gloves and open face helmet.

It is a very good looking machine, and I think BMW have got a lot of the design right. It is very much a bobber look. I don't like the exhausts, but if you go onto the website, it is very customisable, including cone shaped exhausts, and a much nicer (to me) sprung-type saddle.

I got to sit on it and start it. It is pretty imposing, with two 900cc pots sitting out there (Air cooled).

If you set it on "Roll" of the three settings (Rain, Rock, and Roll) , they appear to have adjusted/retarded the timing so that it slightly misses and chuffs from side to side. It really gives it an old boxer feel. High on the grin factor.

Apparently they have sold one on pre-order, in Dublin, other than that, it doesn't even have a VRT code it's so new.

All up - I thought it was a very attractive machine. It fits a niche. I said to the sales guy, my current machine, a K1200GT can take me and my wife around Europe for a couple of weeks no bother. This would take me down to Kinsale for a Skinny Latte. So, not my cup of tea (to mix metaphors).

I also said that I'd be back if I won the lotto that night, as with a cost of just south of €30,000 with all the bells and whistles (reverse gear, keyless ignition, heated handlebars, etc. and the sexy seat and pipes) it was a bit rich for me.

Still, got a goodie bag, which contained very expensive glossy brochures of their casual and bike gear, but oddly, no bike brochures.
    Also a pen with a tread pattern down the body, which, nerd that I am, I knew was a Bridgestone BT43 - again odd as it's an old cross-ply tyre (I know, my long suffering wife :) )

Oh, and the price list for the R18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Nice summary.

Looking for a bit help here lads, it appears my indicators have stopped working. Dragstar 650 Classic.

Initially thought was a blown fuse, but I've swapped that out and still nothing. I've read online to try cleaning the switch out, but again, nothing.

What's particularly odd is that the light on the speedo doesn't tick when clicking the indicator, so it seems like the connection itself is gone.

Has anyone got some ideas on what to do? I've tried googling it but all I can find is stuff on how to replace the bulbs, and that isn't the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Looking for a bit help here lads, it appears my indicators have stopped working. Dragstar 650 Classic.

Initially thought was a blown fuse, but I've swapped that out and still nothing. I've read online to try cleaning the switch out, but again, nothing.

What's particularly odd is that the light on the speedo doesn't tick when clicking the indicator, so it seems like the connection itself is gone.

Has anyone got some ideas on what to do? I've tried googling it but all I can find is stuff on how to replace the bulbs, and that isn't the issue.

have you a multimeter?
    Could check for breaks in the circuit along the path, I've seen on a vulcan 800 where the actual socket for the bulb in the indicator was the fault. It wasn't holding the bulb correctly and causing a break in the circuit.

goblin59 wrote: »
    have you a multimeter?
    Could check for breaks in the circuit along the path, I've seen on a vulcan 800 where the actual socket for the bulb in the indicator was the fault. It wasn't holding the bulb correctly and causing a break in the circuit.

Nah I don't have one, but I'll look into getting one at some point. I'll take off the caps and make sure the bulbs are in place correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nah I don't have one, but I'll look into getting one at some point. I'll take off the caps and make sure the bulbs are in place correctly.

Get the wiring diagram on the Google's. Find the nearest connector block to the lights itself. Usually this is shared with indicators front lights and the instrument cluster and check the connector block there. You may have a dirty connection loose or moisture. Usually it's moisture on the connector clean it down and apply some dialectic Grease into the block and close it up.

Similar problem with mine connector was getting tugged a bit causing it to be off angle and pulling on two connectors . Make sure it's not snagging on anything like the throttle or clutch or brake cables too.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I don't trust BMW to build anything reliable these days. Wouldn't touch anything new from them.

?

bike in question is a Yamaha?

goblin59 wrote: »
    ?

bike in question is a Yamaha?

I'd imagine he's referring to the new BMW R18

I'd imagine he's referring to the new BMW R18

fair, can be hard to tell what people refer to sometimes on here so many conversations going on xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Drove off earlier and thank fúck the alarm went off, over the years I've driven off a couple of times and ended up on the deck :rolleyes:
    I drove off slowly too which helped :)

If you're not on a slant its much better to reverse the bike out of a parked position than to just lash straight off onto the road.

Drove off earlier and thank fúck the alarm went off, over the years I've driven off a couple of times and ended up on the deck :rolleyes:
    I drove off slowly too which helped :)

If you're not on a slant its much better to reverse the bike out of a parked position than to just lash straight off onto the road.
    Lucky you opted for the expensive one with the alarm for the sleepy early starts

Cheapskate that I am I have just the one with the piece of luminous wire to the handle bars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

:DYe, thing is, I had the cord on it too!

• Advertisement

:DYe, thing is, I had the cord on it too!

I would say that a had the alarm not gone off it would have been a dead stop
    Be hard to stop it falling over caught by surprise in a situation like that

Dropped mine last weekend on a really steep hill trying to make a left turn
    Slowed right down trying to wait for oncoming cars but misjudged it and it fell over :-(

Advertisement