Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I have to move my bike from the side garden first so I have been lucky not to ride off with the lock attached. But I have cracked the same spot in my front fender multiple times by moving it with the lock on. Only cracked it again the other day.

I have a shorter chord on it now as the old one snapped but when I had the longer one I looped it over the throttle and onto the brake level so I was putting my hand on it every before moving or riding it. I never forgot it was on then. If you ride away on the bike without moving it first the trick is to attach it flush to the brake caliper because the bike isn't going to move at all and give you that false sense of security before stopping you dead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yep, I've tried to take off quite a few times with the disc lock on. Haven't dropped it from that yet but came damn close a few times, and that's while using the luminous cord.

I've also sleepily tried to ride off while attached by chain to a lamp post, but that's much rarer :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Yep, I've tried to take off quite a few times with the disc lock on. Haven't dropped it from that yet but came damn close a few times, and that's while using the luminous cord.

I've also sleepily tried to ride off while attached by chain to a lamp post, but that's much rarer :D

Not quite the same thing but I did stupidly think my rear brake caliper had jammed when trying to take the bike out of the shed the other week only to eventually (after much pulling and dragging) realise that it was in gear :o I always leave it in neutral when parked so took a few minutes to cop it....felt a right plonker!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Ah, I'm in good company ��

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

seen Dad do it before with a cheap disc lock.
    I've the abus alarmed one that goes off if you even look at it.

I use it with the chain, so pretty hard to forget about

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

blade1 wrote: »
    There's no problem getting tyres.
    You're just limited to choice.

Metzler lasertec or Pirelli sport demons are probably the two easy to get ones.

Speaking of roadtec.
    I'd say the last time I had them was on a NSR125 around 1991.
    Like so
    unnamed-1.jpg

No wonder those 125’s were impossible to insure, they looked too good for the time :pac:

This is part of what happens when one forgets they have a disc lock on and they try to take off in a hurry

B8580-FCD-7-FA4-44-FC-A334-3-F95-F1-B42-C1-F.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

This is part of what happens when one forgets they have a disc lock on and they try to take off in a hurry

Ouch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Ouch, you'll need the good araldite for that.

Ouch, you'll need the good araldite for that.

Have a replacement sourced from a breakers. It’s not the only part I broke, also the inner front fairing that I went to considerable lengths to replace only a few months back.

If I can’t source a spare for that I’ll just get Ger Conlon to plastic weld the current one. That man is a genius.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

You can get a high viz thing that clips onto the throttle to remind you about the disc lock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You can get a high viz thing that clips onto the throttle to remind you about the disc lock.

people seem to have the coloured cable thing and still dont notice.

Maybe something that covers the Ignition Key Barrel

I had it and took it off :rolleyes:

listermint wrote: »
    people seem to have the coloured cable thing and still dont notice.

Maybe something that covers the Ignition Key Barrel

When I had it I wasn’t one of those funnily enough. Costly mistake.

In other news, I’ll be getting my GPZ this week :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Lads, quick question - I'm selling my bike.

It does need a new chain as the current one has developed tight spots. It's still perfectly rideable. Should I just get this replaced before I sell it?

I've had the add up since the 20th September and only had 1 message for far. The price doesn't appear to be unreasonable compared to the rest of them for sale and ofc I'm willing to haggle a bit too.

https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/honda-cbf-600-sa/25996733

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

It does need a new chain as the current one has developed tight spots. It's still perfectly rideable. Should I just get this replaced before I sell it?

I've had the add up since the 20th September and only had 1 message for far. The price doesn't appear to be unreasonable compared to the rest of them for sale and ofc I'm willing to haggle a bit too.

Is the drop damage the scuffs in the pictures ? If so take out the part about damage about being dropped. Just mention a couple of scuffs and leave it at that. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Yeah that's the drop damage. I was very lucky tbh because it's very minor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

20th September is no length really. Unless she's fairly rare or priced to sell, it might be a slow burn.

I guess, if you need her gone, look to drop the price. If you don't, hold tight until you get an offer that suits.

If the chain needs replacing, leave that for the next owner to suss out. If they're sharp, they'll spot it and use it to haggle down. If they're not sharp (I'm in this camp), they'll miss it and find out the hard way.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is it maybe a little bit optimistic price wise?

Messages won't get it sold. Viewings might.

It's massively overpriced imo. I sold a 2007 gsxr 600 for less than that 3 years ago.

It's worth about 2,900 max imo

I had serious trouble selling that bike because all used bikes in Ireland are overpriced and I only found that out when I had to continually lower the price to get it sold and I think you will have to do the same

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Don't replace the chain.

I think you have it about right, I sold my 08 cbf1000 for exactly 3.5k over a year ago. I put it up for 3.75 with a plan to shake at 3.5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

What's that GT85 in Aldi like WD40 lads?
    As in is it as good for cleaning oil/grease/residue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Is that GT85 in Aldi like WD40 lads?
    As in is it as good for cleaning oil/grease/residue?

Basically exactly the same stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

My opinion is that GT85 is way better then WD40, I’d much prefer using it for most things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

CJhaughey wrote: »
    My opinion is that GT85 is way better then WD40, I’d much prefer using it for most things.

Really? Never used it, must check it out.

Cheers lads picked up some there.
    Never heard or seen it before but I don't use Aldi too often.

And now onto more serious matters..

Brilliant :pac:

FB-IMG-1601491319234.jpg

Cheers lads picked up some there.
    Never heard or seen it before but I don't use Aldi too often.

And now onto more serious matters..

Brilliant :pac:

FB-IMG-1601491319234.jpg
    Akrapievic
    :)

H_Lime wrote: »
    Akrapievic
    :)

Leo Mince :)