Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Grumpy Bike Wizard

Long Way Up should be worth a look for the scenery alone. In an interview with Charlie I saw recently Claudio's camera and drone work was getting special mention. But they didn't show any.

Suspect it's a big marketing opp for the Indian EV 4X4.

I'm picturing the scene of them rolling up to a Bolivian hut and holding out the charging cable to a bowler-hatted woman who only speaks Quechua. They get distracted with chewing coca, then meet some bad-tempered llamas... Could be a classic.

It's been pretty meh so far, but it's decent eye candy. I know they're older lads now, but the worst they've run into was a bit of cold and the only real hassle they have is with charging. I suspect they kinda knew that any modern adventure bike would do that route with zero drama, so they have to inject some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

I normally lane filter in traffic, what would most do when approaching these new Corona / Garda checkpoints?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

horse7 wrote: »
    I normally lane filter in traffic, what would most do when approaching these new Corona / Garda checkpoints?

Same as normal. Dont take the píss and have your reason for travel (work) and you should be grand.

I don,t work,am retired and just go for an hour or 2 with a packed lunch and flask on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

horse7 wrote: »
    I don,t work,am retired and just go for an hour or 2 with a packed lunch and flask on my own.

They might turn you away if you are leaving your county. Depending on your destination, id avoid the main routes though.

• Advertisement

Thanks, I usually do, and they can only offer advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blade1 wrote: »
    I want a few chargers plugged into a timer so they all won't be running 24/7

They use shag-all electricity in charge maintenance mode, if that's what you're worried about.

If you turn them on manually once a week and leave overnight that'll keep the batteries topped up no problem. If no alarm then once a month should be plenty...

Lidl are selling their charger at the moment as well as Aldi, every rider really should have one or the other!

If I wanted to change to ZV down the line is it true I must wait until the expiry of the tax to change the plate?

No idea but the classic car forum should know

Personally on a modern classic there is no way I would go ZV.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

GBX wrote: »
    They might turn you away if you are leaving your county.

They can't. But they shouldn't have a problem with a biker going for a spin not interacting with anyone else.

(When I suggested the above here in March I nearly got lynched!)

Just don't cross a continuous white line when filtering up :)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

They can't. But they shouldn't have a problem with a biker going for a spin not interacting with anyone else.

(When I suggested the above here in March I nearly got lynched!)

Will be interesting to see how they implement. And the general mood on it. (I nearly got lynched then too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Shanzze

Only got a bike recently but when the lock down was in place, I had to bring the kids for a spin to get them out of the house and maybe a nap. No issue from the guards once you weren't leaving county.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Went to the NCT, they can’t register the bike as they don’t have a stat code for it. A stat code to determine the VRT on a 34 year old bike :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Went to the NCT, they can’t register the bike as they don’t have a stat code for it. A stat code to determine the VRT on a 34 year old bike :rolleyes:

what did they say to do then? seems a bit daft

goblin59 wrote: »
    what did they say to do then? seems a bit daft

Revenue will contact me in 5-10 working days with the code to go back and complete the registration process and as the NCT put it, pay any fees due.

I was stood outside the centre in the p1ssing rain with the bike to be told this.

Only advantage is I don’t need to bring the bike back again but now can’t take the risk riding it.

They said the bike is so rare in this country it’s not on their system. The bike was manufactured from 86-88

Revenue will contact me in 5-10 working days with the code to go back and complete the registration process and as the NCT put it, pay any fees due.

I was stood outside the centre in the p1ssing rain with the bike to be told this.

Only advantage is I don’t need to bring the bike back again but now can’t take the risk riding it.

They said the bike is so rare in this country it’s not on their system. The bike was manufactured from 86-88

if the bike is insured and you have proof that a VRT is booked then I'd ride it.
    I went about on my bike for about 2 months before i was able to get it VRT'd.
    Kept a print out to prove why it wasn't VRT'd yet and a copy of the insurance on the VIN number

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Did they tell you call back anytime,no need for appointment?

Did they tell you call back anytime,no need for appointment?

Yeah just show up during opening hours no appointment necessary.

if the bike is insured and you have proof that a VRT is booked then I'd ride it.
    I went about on my bike for about 2 months before i was able to get it VRT'd.
    Kept a print out to prove why it wasn't VRT'd yet and a copy of the insurance on the VIN number

Yeah it’s insured. Have the evidence I’ve been to the VRT. It’s a Dutch registration number and a cardboard makeshift number plate as I’m told the Dutch take the number plate back when it leaves the country. The tax for the year is only €26.

I do need to get tyres for it, even in a straight line the front was moving left and right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah just show up during opening hours no appointment necessary.

They told me that me that too, the bunch of w*nkers.
    So first 70km to NCT center wasted along with a second 70km trip which when I turned up they said I did need an appointment.

So a 3rd 70km to a different NCT center and time off work to sort it.
    It's bad when the center that sorted it called the other center a disgrace and filed a complaint about them.

They told me that me that too, the bunch of w*nkers.
    So first 70km to NCT center wasted along with a second 70km trip which when I turned up they said I did need an appointment.

So a 3rd 70km to a different NCT center and time off work to sort it.
    It's bad when the center that sorted it called the other center a disgrace and filed a complaint about them.

I remember that. I’m dealing with the same place you went to on the first and second occasions. Did you hear back about the complaint?

I live less than 5 miles from the centre in question so it doesn’t put me out majorly. Why they can’t just do it in all NCT centres I don’t know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I remember that. I’m dealing with the same place you went to on the first and second occasions. Did you hear back about the complaint?

I live less than 5 miles from the centre in question so it doesn’t put me out majorly. Why they can’t just do it in all NCT centres I don’t know.

Google the NCT centre and go to opening times then scroll to popular times and compare each day of the week and low times . Then go at the lowest. This chart is complied location based off android phones.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Google the NCT centre and go to opening times then scroll to popular times and compare each day of the week and low times . Then go at the lowest. This chart is complied location based off android phones.

Didn’t realise you could do that, will check it out now though :D

I’ve been in touch with someone who works for Kawasaki in Dublin as well, interesting bit of history on my machine.

Originally a US bike, only 1 owner there, they put it to auction in 1994, full Kawasaki service history there, no warranty recalls, nothing.

First registered on Holland in 1996, all checks out there as well.

Departed Holland in 2013 for Ireland and sat in 2 dealerships, the first until 2016, the second until last week.

In 34 years I’m the 5th owner, that’s good going in fairness when my busa has 4 in 4 years down south, although I know why that happened. No idea of how many up north, but she’s 18 years old.

2 previous on the DL, 1 UK, 1 Irish.

2 on the blade (sat idle for 17 years)

2 on the moped.

seen a moped driving along the quays in the bicycle lane, was fairly sure that was a definite no go!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

seen a moped driving along the quays in the bicycle lane, was fairly sure that was a definite no go!!

I hate that and it is a definite no on the quays, they are the mandatory cycle lanes and even enclosed now in many cases

I hate that and it is a definite no on the quays, they are the mandatory cycle lanes and even enclosed now in many cases

yeah, its dangerous and just makes all two wheelers look bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

yeah, its dangerous and just makes all two wheelers look bad.

Also seen motorbikes, including couriers in the contraflow bus lane.

Which is totally illegal. A blind eye is turned to motorbikes in the regular bus lane but contraflow is just taking the piss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Great day for a spin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Mine has a faulty one, fuel showing empty when full. Anybody know whether BMW have upgraded these strips so that they don't keep breaking?
    Any idea of the cost of repair or who might do it?

I've seen youtube vids of using an electric cigarette lighter, but am a Neanderthal when it comes to anything like that :) , so won't touch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Great day for a spin!

It is indeed :-)
    I went for one earlier from Wicklow down to Wexford to try out the lowering link I Put on the bike yesterday
    Also dropped the forks down an inch too as I was on my toes gives a little more confidence being able to get a bit more of my feet on the ground
    J

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

Some dude an on s1000rr just passed me absolutely caning it up on the back wheel.

I've never actually seen a proper wheelie in person other than my own feeble attempts to murder myself.

I'm in my 30s and felt like a little kid.

Thank you whoever you are :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Went out for a good 40km spin today myself. Note to self, those gloves will not keep out the cold anymore.

Dan.

Advertisement