Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Mine has a faulty one, fuel showing empty when full. Anybody know whether BMW have upgraded these strips so that they don't keep breaking?
    Any idea of the cost of repair or who might do it?

I've seen youtube vids of using an electric cigarette lighter, but am a Neanderthal when it comes to anything like that :) , so won't touch it.

They went back to floats after the fuel strip fiasco.

I have a document on how to retrofit one, PM me your email address and I'll send it to you.

The piezoelectric lighter trick is a temporary fix at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Went out for a good 40km spin today myself. Note to self, those gloves will not keep out the cold anymore.

get some heated grips :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If the low fuel light still works, and you have a trip meter, who needs a fuel gauge?

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If the low fuel light still works, and you have a trip meter, who needs a fuel gauge?

anyone who doesnt want to bother thinking too hard.

tbf in this day and age any bikes not including a basic fuel level are just plain mean scrimping ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Low fuel light doesn't work, it flashes all the time so I've fixed it with a bit of tape over the screen :) Trip meter is what I go on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I'd love to say it just adds to the excitement, but I have to say I love having a fuel gauge, even if its wildly inconsistent :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭omerin

Anyone from Cork know if Mick Manifold is still working on bikes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

omerin wrote: »

He is from his house as far as i know.
    Can try get his number for you if u like

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

omerin wrote: »

Depends what you want done.

Get your manifold fixed? :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Get your manifold fixed? :pac:

A lot of people assume that's his nickname but Manifold is actually his surname.
    Top bike mechanic,which a lot of cork mechanics worked under.
    Does a bit still but doesn't take on as much work anymore though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

Declan Swanton has just refused to do work on my GPZ saying ‘Not for me chief’

What other decent options have i in Cork City?
    Noel Quinn ain’t answering.

It needs tyres, might as well do the wheel bearings while they’re off, chain and sprockets as well.

Lee are a rip off and known to be a dodgy with workmanship depending on who the mechanic is.

On the plus side the bike is now Irish registered and taxed.

I must be doing something right when the wife is keen on it :D

Ross Motorcycles have said the bike is too old for their workshop :rolleyes:

He is from his house as far as i know.
    Can try get his number for you if u like

Where is he located? I only remember when he was stuck in with Mark Henry years ago.

Load of bollocks. Wheel bearings and c+s would be the same as any bike. Sourcing tyres might be a problem but fitting them isn't.

Drop the wheels, get the tyres mounted and do the rest yourself. F**k 'em.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭H_Lime

Declan Swanton has just refused to do work on my GPZ saying ‘Not for me chief’

What other decent options have i in Cork City?
    Noel Quinn ain’t answering.

It needs tyres, might as well do the wheel bearings while they’re off, chain and sprockets as well.

Lee are a rip off and known to be a dodgy with workmanship depending on who the mechanic is.

On the plus side the bike is now Irish registered and taxed.

I must be doing something right when the wife is keen on it :D

Ross Motorcycles have said the bike is too old for their workshop :rolleyes:

Surprising to read that. I wonder what the issue is?

Load of bollocks. Wheel bearings and c+s would be the same as any bike. Sourcing tyres might be a problem but fitting them isn't.

Drop the wheels, get the tyres mounted and do the rest yourself. F**k 'em.

I need to learn how to do these things and fast i think. I’ve no idea how to break/attach a chain. Don’t have the tools/space to do the wheel bearings.

Tyres are the tricky bit.

120/80/16
    150/80/16

Metzler or Bridgestone is all that’s out there.

I serviced it over the weekend so she’s running fine in that area.

H_Lime wrote: »
    Surprising to read that. I wonder what the issue is?

The bike is 1986 and of US origin, that was all Declan heard. A text is gone off to Noel Quinn and Rebel Motorcycles.

Only the tyres were a certainty to be done, the rest is purely precautionary.

I got to know someone on Facebook who has access to the Kawasaki database, I think I posted it here already but I’ll do it again,

Bike was new in the US in 1986, only 1 owner, went to auction in 1994, first registered in Holland in March 1996, exported from Holland in July 2013, it went to a dealer in Clare who sold it to the dealer I bought it from 2 weeks ago.

Damien in Ross said it’s the age of the bike is the problem but if I take off the wheels he can do the rest bar the front sprocket and chain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

The bike is 1986 and of US origin, that was all Declan heard. A text is gone off to Noel Quinn and Rebel Motorcycles.

Only the tyres were a certainty to be done, the rest is purely precautionary.

I got to know someone on Facebook who has access to the Kawasaki database, I think I posted it here already but I’ll do it again,

Bike was new in the US in 1986, only 1 owner, went to auction in 1994, first registered in Holland in March 1996, exported from Holland in July 2013, it went to a dealer in Clare who sold it to the dealer I bought it from 2 weeks ago.

Damien in Ross said it’s the age of the bike is the problem but if I take off the wheels he can do the rest bar the front sprocket and chain

In my experience, Damien is full of crap.

I've never had any major issues with Lee when it came to general work. Mind you, I do all of my own servicing but have had them do a couple of other things and they were very good. Also no problem with bringing my own parts.

Of the mechanics, Pius and Yannick are very good and easy to talk to.

CB Motorcycles on Douglas Street might be interested in doing work on that GPZ, they deal with a lot of American imports, they used to import a lot themselves actually.

Or if you want some guidance on how to do a lot of this stuff yourself, send me a PM and if you're not very far from me I'd be happy to try give you a hand.

The fact it's an ex-US bike is irrelevant and anyone who says otherwise is talking pony.

Laughable that yer man would have no trouble changing the front sprocket on a ZZR1100 but won't do it on that bike with basically the same transmission and bottom end. As for not doing a chain, joke shop.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Buy this.
    https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/jt-chain-breaker-and-riveting-tool-674442

And then buy this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282461490709

And do it all yourself. You dont need acres of space for this.

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    In my experience, Damien is full of crap.

I've never had any major issues with Lee when it came to general work. Mind you, I do all of my own servicing but have had them do a couple of other things and they were very good. Also no problem with bringing my own parts.

Of the mechanics, Pius and Yannick are very good and easy to talk to.

CB Motorcycles on Douglas Street might be interested in doing work on that GPZ, they deal with a lot of American imports, they used to import a lot themselves actually.

Or if you want some guidance on how to do a lot of this stuff yourself, send me a PM and if you're not very far from me I'd be happy to try give you a hand.

I've literally gotten a few €1000's of work done by Lee since July 2018, and actually bought my first ever bike from them in 2003, only trouble i had with their work was electrics. Both the lads are easy to talk to, one of them even knows me on first name terms as i was there so much :pac:

I've never dealt with or been into CB, are they by Murphy's engine overhauls?

I have Haynes manuals for each bike i have, but of course human interaction is always good to have, would be interested in linking in deffo!

As for Damien, i don't know how he is getting much work with that attitude, he refuses my 86, but will take on my 99 or 02 for example or even my 11

The fact it's an ex-US bike is irrelevant and anyone who says otherwise is talking pony.

Laughable that yer man would have no trouble changing the front sprocket on a GPz1100 but won't do it on that bike with basically the same transmission and bottom end. As for not doing a chain, joke shop.

It was still Japanese built, only minor differences for the market it was built for compared to the EU, such as the oil goes in on the left side and the headlight can't be switched off, that aside she's a pleasure to ride and have zero regrets, it gives me more happiness than the DL :pac::D

Yeah yer man said they have 'Set times for each bike on the ramp and yours being old might take longer if something goes wrong'

listermint wrote: »
    Buy this.
    https://www.mandp.co.uk/products/jt-chain-breaker-and-riveting-tool-674442

And then buy this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282461490709

And do it all yourself. You dont need acres of space for this.

Nice one lister! legend as always ;)

I'll be adding them to me collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

I need to learn how to do these things and fast i think. I’ve no idea how to break/attach a chain. Don’t have the tools/space to do the wheel bearings.

Breaking the chain is easy enough
    I bought a Sealey breaker
    and watched the Video :-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-vb5qiogWE
    J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you are breaking chains, buy a 4.5" grinder. Grind the head off the rivet and save the pin in the breaker a lot of work.
    Its probably cheaper to buy a small grinder and a disc than a pin for a quality chain tool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I've literally gotten a few €1000's of work done by Lee since July 2018, and actually bought my first ever bike from them in 2003, only trouble i had with their work was electrics. Both the lads are easy to talk to, one of them even knows me on first name terms as i was there so much :pac:

I've never dealt with or been into CB, are they by Murphy's engine overhauls?

I have Haynes manuals for each bike i have, but of course human interaction is always good to have, would be interested in linking in deffo!

As for Damien, i don't know how he is getting much work with that attitude, he refuses my 86, but will take on my 99 or 02 for example or even my 11

In your earlier post you said Lee were a bit of a rip-off. Any idea why? I've fond them to be relatively fair in anything I've had done. What issues had you with workmanship? I had tyres done in Ross before and on the way home the throttle grip was spinning on the bar...absolute pain in the arse and I could only explain it by someone being a bit hamfisted in the workshop maybe.

As for CB, next to Murphy's Engine Overhauls, yep! Not open Mondays, and I think they only do a couple of hours on a Saturday.

Fabio wrote: »
    In your earlier post you said Lee were a bit of a rip-off. Any idea why? I've fond them to be relatively fair in anything I've had done. What issues had you with workmanship? I had tyres done in Ross before and on the way home the throttle grip was spinning on the bar...absolute pain in the arse and I could only explain it by someone being a bit hamfisted in the workshop maybe.

As for CB, next to Murphy's Engine Overhauls, yep! Not open Mondays, and I think they only do a couple of hours on a Saturday.

Aye I did. Haven’t had work done by Lee since February 2019 when they messed up the installation of the lights on the cases of my Strom.

Lee charged me €50 + vat an hour, it them 90 minutes to fit 2 crash bars (4 bolts each) for example. I had no tools myself at the time. It was the same mechanic who did the electrical work, Jim Tivy said go elsewhere if I’m not happy.

I’ve never as much as put my hand in my pocket to buy something in Ross, your experience doesn’t sound good though, one of their mechanics is with the neighbours daughter.

I might take a trip into CB out of interest

CJhaughey wrote: »
    If you are breaking chains, buy a 4.5" grinder. Grind the head off the rivet and save the pin in the breaker a lot of work.
    Its probably cheaper to buy a small grinder and a disc than a pin for a quality chain tool.

Seen that on YouTube :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Just browsing donedeal out of boredom, the absolute balls of poo being sold as 'streetfighters'. I like the general look but ripping the fairing off a battered old blade does not a streetfighter make.

It reminds me of the lads selling balls of **** cars as 'track cars', half of which wouldn't be allowed out of the paddock on a track

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

CJhaughey wrote: »

just ask any of the lads robbing bicycles in Dublin for a lend of their grinder.
    Probally bought one for €30 in lidl.

Advertisement