Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Declan Swanton has just refused to do work on my GPZ saying ‘Not for me chief’

What other decent options have i in Cork City?
    Noel Quinn ain’t answering.

It needs tyres, might as well do the wheel bearings while they’re off, chain and sprockets as well.

Lee are a rip off and known to be a dodgy with workmanship depending on who the mechanic is.

On the plus side the bike is now Irish registered and taxed.

I must be doing something right when the wife is keen on it :D

Ross Motorcycles have said the bike is too old for their workshop :rolleyes:
    Noel quinn done all the work on my gpz900r top notch aswell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

Aye I did. Haven’t had work done by Lee since February 2019 when they messed up the installation of the lights on the cases of my Strom.

Lee charged me €50 + vat an hour, it them 90 minutes to fit 2 crash bars (4 bolts each) for example. I had no tools myself at the time. It was the same mechanic who did the electrical work, Jim Tivy said go elsewhere if I’m not happy.

I’ve never as much as put my hand in my pocket to buy something in Ross, your experience doesn’t sound good though, one of their mechanics is with the neighbours daughter.

I might take a trip into CB out of interest

Oh.....fair enough, that sounds like a disaster. Honestly, never had much of an issue with Lee so I'm surprised at that experience but I feel bad for you. It's not a nice way to be treated when you're on first name terms with the mechanics. There is one other mechanic there but I don't know him, I wonder was it him?!

I booked a bike in with Damien before, needed a thermostat and brake and clutch fluid. Dropped it in early in the morning, walked to work, he rang in the afternoon and said the bike was ready to collect. I asked how the jobs went, he said they didn't do anything to it cos he wanted to order a thermostat himself (I gave him a good used one). I asked did he at least do the brake and clutch fluid and "no we prefer to do all the jobs together". It was a complete joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Breaking the chain is easy enough

A decent angle grinder is cheap in B&Q, or Aldi/Lidl when they have them in - just hold it so the edge of the grinding wheel is spinning downwards, so the sparks don't fly up and embed themselves in your plastics... they're a lethal tool though so eye protection and be very careful and keep all 20 kids well away :p

If you're just grinding the soft link heads off, not going through the whole chain, a dremel (or, even a hand file for the hix in stix with no electrix ;) ) will do that job easily.

Haven't ever had any difficulty pushing the pins out with a cheap chain riveter, after all it's no more difficult than it was pushing the sideplate on in the first place.

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭The QuietMan

goblin59 wrote: »
    just ask any of the lads robbing bicycles in Dublin for a lend of their grinder.
    Probally bought one for €30 in lidl.

I bought one of those during lockdown, 'twas missing parts :rolleyes:

Noel quinn done all the work on my gpz900r top notch aswell.

Had work done by him before, no complaints, in fairness to him he rang me at 10pm last night and went through everything, he made certain suggestions which i agreed with, i never knew he is in the game 41 years though :eek:He looks younger than that.

• Advertisement

Fabio wrote: »
    Oh.....fair enough, that sounds like a disaster. Honestly, never had much of an issue with Lee so I'm surprised at that experience but I feel bad for you. It's not a nice way to be treated when you're on first name terms with the mechanics. There is one other mechanic there but I don't know him, I wonder was it him?!

I booked a bike in with Damien before, needed a thermostat and brake and clutch fluid. Dropped it in early in the morning, walked to work, he rang in the afternoon and said the bike was ready to collect. I asked how the jobs went, he said they didn't do anything to it cos he wanted to order a thermostat himself (I gave him a good used one). I asked did he at least do the brake and clutch fluid and "no we prefer to do all the jobs together". It was a complete joke.

As regards getting work done it was a disaster, i still buy from the shop though. Most of the lads would know me in there at this stage, not all by name, but they'd know who i am to see. Was this mechanic a 'foxyish' fella?

Did he charge you for having the bike as long as he did? It sounds like he just picks and chooses what he does and doesn't want to do, i don't like that carry on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Had work done by him before, no complaints, in fairness to him he rang me at 10pm last night and went through everything, he made certain suggestions which i agreed with, i never knew he is in the game 41 years though :eek:He looks younger than that.

Yeah, the chap is in serious physical condition and looks at least ten years younger than his age. I remember chatting to him about fitness (he does personal training / fitness class work as a part time gig). Lovely chap and seemed to have forgotten more about bikes than most men learn in a lifetime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

blade1 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if the charger in Aldi starts charging automatically when plugged in?
    myclist wrote: »
    I believe it does. Curious about this myself when I first got one but it has charged several batteries fine for me.
    Looks exactly the same as the Lidl one I have, just with a different colour case. You have to press a button on that to start charging.

Picked up the Aldi charger yesterday and to reconfirm what myclist said it does indeed automatically start charging bike and car batteries at a rate of 0.8a when connected.

You can then use the mode button to up the current to 5.0a (or not, it will still top up battery at 0.8a) for car batteries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

As regards getting work done it was a disaster, i still buy from the shop though. Most of the lads would know me in there at this stage, not all by name, but they'd know who i am to see. Was this mechanic a 'foxyish' fella?

Did he charge you for having the bike as long as he did? It sounds like he just picks and chooses what he does and doesn't want to do, i don't like that carry on.
    It could've been! I'm not certain though.

In fairness, I should have mentioned, Damien did not charge me. He hadn't done any work on the bike though. In fact I believe it was still in the same place I had parked it that very morning.

To cap off a "wonderful" day the same bike then left me stranded on the way home after work...turned out there was water in the fuel. My own fault for throwing in a few litres I had in a can in the garden! A bottle of Wynns Dry Fuel sorted that out but what a day...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭omerin

He is from his house as far as i know.
    Can try get his number for you if u like

I used to bring my bikes to Mick years ago (when he had a Hayabusa), had his number but lost it. I'm looking for a bonneville and would like him to tag along when i find one. Early days yet but I know where he lives :D
    Where is he located? I only remember when he was stuck in with Mark Henry years ago.

Out the Lough lol

• Advertisement

omerin wrote: »
    I used to bring my bikes to Mick years ago (when he had a Hayabusa), had his number but lost it. I'm looking for a bonneville and would like him to tag along when i find one. Early days yet but I know where he lives :D

Out the Lough lol
    He still has a hayabusa.
    I've his number if u still need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭omerin

blade1 wrote: »
    He still has a hayabusa.
    I've his number if u still need it.

Jasus, thought he'd be on a Harley at this stage.

Go on so, can you send the number on PM when you get a chance, thanks

omerin wrote: »
    Jasus, thought he'd be on a Harley at this stage.

Go on so, can you send the number on PM when you get a chance, thanks

He has the Busa with I think well over 100k miles on it and a zx12r.
    Sent that number to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Dunno if I'm allowed, but selling a set of 28mm Rox handlebar risers part # 1R-P2PPG

Listed to fit BMW, Triumph, KTM, Honda .
    Lifts bars up and rotates by 50mm.

Despite saying so, they don't fit a 2018 Africa Twin 🙄......

Cost €100 but I'd rather give someone the benefit than paying the retailer a 20% restocking fee..

PM if interested.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

Yeah, the chap is in serious physical condition and looks at least ten years younger than his age. I remember chatting to him about fitness (he does personal training / fitness class work as a part time gig). Lovely chap and seemed to have forgotten more about bikes than most men learn in a lifetime.

I often came across him in Mayfield sports complex 20 years ago, he’s rowing as well and does work in Ballygarvan on the fitness stuff, Cork’s own Mr Motivator. He was also a teacher in St John’s College on bike courses.

Bought front end rear pads today for the GPZ, also ordered front and rear bearing kits including the seals. Caliper rebuild kits for the front and rear also ordered.

Next week I am getting a thatcham alarm/immobiliser as the insurers were onto me about it.

Then the next thing is tyres along with the chain and sprockets, given the 22k mileage I’d be surprised if it wasn’t original.

I’ve learned how to bleed brakes on a bike and change the fluid, is me stripping the calipers a task too far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Bought front end rear pads today for the GPZ, also ordered front and rear bearing kits including the seals. Caliper rebuild kits for the front and rear also ordered.

Next week I am getting a thatcham alarm/immobiliser as the insurers were onto me about it.

Then the next thing is tyres along with the chain and sprockets, given the 22k mileage I’d be surprised if it wasn’t original.

I’ve learned how to bleed brakes on a bike and change the fluid, is me stripping the calipers a task too far?

No. It's easy to do very easy. Just time consuming. And get plenty of brake cleaner spray or some kerosene in a basin to clean them down with a toothbrush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭davidglanza

Any pics of the gpz

Any pics of the gpz

I thought i had more of it up, but here's one.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=114542481

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    No. It's easy to do very easy. Just time consuming. And get plenty of brake cleaner spray or some kerosene in a basin to clean them down with a toothbrush.

Ah i don't mind the time it takes, i'll have many a winters night in my kitchen while the wife is watching the soaps. I might go down to the shed but the lighting is poor and it'll be cold :pac:

I need to start saving the money i'm spending on labour.

Ah i don't mind the time it takes, i'll have many a winters night in my kitchen while the wife is watching the soaps. I might go down to the shed but the lighting is poor and it'll be cold :pac:

I need to start saving the money i'm spending on labour.

Cold you say ?
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/469720

Il have you broke . Lol.

Have a keis about 4 years now. Best purchase I've made for the bike hands down.

But can get a battery for them for the shed too :)

Cold you say ?
    https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/469720

Il have you broke . Lol.

Have a keis about 4 years now. Best purchase I've made for the bike hands down.

But can get a battery for them for the shed too :)

I'll have to rename myself 'The broke man' :pac:

That's a nice looking bodywarmer in fairness. I'm trying to find a sparks to fit a light and socket in my shed, i'm having a torrid time of it, the one quote i got was bonkers, €737 :eek:

This is why my kitchen table looks like it will be a work bench in the evenings.

I'll have to rename myself 'The broke man' :pac:

That's a nice looking bodywarmer in fairness. I'm trying to find a sparks to fit a light and socket in my shed, i'm having a torrid time of it, the one quote i got was bonkers, €737 :eek:

This is why my kitchen table looks like it will be a work bench in the evenings.

737 makes my jacket look like child's play.

That's mega money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

An extension lead and floodlights might be the way out.

737 makes my jacket look like child's play.

That's mega money

I asked could he do a better price for me, the following is a ‘best’ price.

You could get a few jackets for it

0-AA29-AEE-B1-C0-48-B2-B031-48-C4-E396888-E.jpg

BFE84-FC3-9-A8-E-42-BD-B86-D-6-FD45-CF476-BE.jpg

horse7 wrote: »
    An extension lead and floodlights might be the way out.

A cheaper alternative is definitely needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

You could do the labour yourself
    Run the Cable and buy the Light fitting and double socket

Some years ago when building the shed I buried a 4" duct up to the shed
    Inside the duct was SWA cable a 2" waste water pipe from the washing machine and a 1/2 water pipe to supply same

A new fuse box and 2 double sockets and lighting

The most expensive part being the SWA cable I think as it was a good run

If your shed is attached to the house you may not need the steel wire armoured cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

In a similar vein, I've just measured my bike and the doors to the back garden and shed, my bike will fit, I've a decent sized shed and a comprehensive tool kit but live in a terraced house, the joys of city living

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Had to take the bike to work today first spin on it in about six weeks.
    I probably looked a sight dancing away to some bluetooth tunes in traffic, but it felt goooooood.

Advertisement