Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

zubair wrote: »
    Very well reviewed. But depending on what you're on now it would be worth considering if its much of an uograde.

Versys 650. The two in the running are the Tracer and a newer Versys

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a headset\earphones to use while on the bike?

I'm using the bike to get to work most days now and I have missed a few calls from work when I'm on the road in the morning,

I have a pair of Jabra Elite earbuds but they were too loose and fell out everytime I pulled on\off the helmet,

Cheers

Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

PCeeeee wrote: »
    Versys 650. The two in the running are the Tracer and a newer Versys

Out of interest I just googled a comparison and found a review with a side by side. The tracer won, the reviewer said it was more fun and nimble and while the comfort of the versys was better it wasn't enough to warrant the win in the test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Hi All,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a headset\earphones to use while on the bike?

I'm using the bike to get to work most days now and I have missed a few calls from work when I'm on the road in the morning,

I have a pair of Jabra Elite earbuds but they were too loose and fell out everytime I pulled on\off the helmet,

Cheers

Rob

I had a midlands set as I got it cheap on Ebay, but look out for Sena and Cardo systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

There's a thread/post on this already, for calls and radio try freedconn

• Advertisement

Lots of budget options that will do the job and I've had a couple but cardo or sena is the way to go for a permanent solution. I found the cheap ones I got weren't as sturdy and broke in a relatively short amount of time or the sound quality in calls and music wasn't good enough. People complained they couldn't hear me and I'd have to shout, using the cardo people don't even know I'm on the bike doing X on the motorway. I only found this one after I got the cardo and I think a headset/camera combo is a great idea as I use a gopro it would remove the need for it.

https://www.sena.com/motorcycles-powersports/camera#10c-series

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Cheers, I was looking at the basic Cardo Freedom,

It's just to have something in case I get calls from work while I'm travelling,

Not too fussed about music \ communicating with others in a group, I like the peace when I'm riding

Out of interest I just googled a comparison and found a review with a side by side. The tracer won, the reviewer said it was more fun and nimble and while the comfort of the versys was better it wasn't enough to warrant the win in the test.

Thanks Zubair. I've seen both winning in reviews. It's a case of what exactly you're looking for I think.

I asked the question mostly after hearing about build quality on MT-09s. I was wondering was the baby brother the same
    I'd love to hear from someone who has one long term

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

For anyone on Facebook, hopefully it can be reunited with its owner...

https://m.facebook.com/499007650581998/photos/a.504598636689566/1057722631377161/?type=3&source=48

For anybody not on Facebook
    Portlaoise gardai recently recovered a vintage BSA 1955 motorbike.

Thanks Zubair. I've seen both winning in reviews. It's a case of what exactly you're looking for I think.

I asked the question mostly after hearing about build quality on MT-09s. I was wondering was the baby brother the same
    I'd love to hear from someone who has one long term

That's it exactly, it's about what you want to get from your bike. Would you not be looking at going for one of the larger motors now though?

• Advertisement

That's it exactly, it's about what you want to get from your bike. Would you not be looking at going for one of the larger motors now though?

I want to commute so a hardier yoke with a bit more wind protection. I want to do test so Tracer is ideal. I aussi ride ****e roads a lot so Versys maybe has the edge there. But I also think I'd like a little more poke than sensibleness. Is hard to say. Also just like look of Tracer more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I want to commute so a hardier yoke with a bit more wind protection. I want to do test so Tracer is ideal. I aussi ride ****e roads a lot so Versys maybe has the edge there. But I also think I'd like a little more poke than sensibleness. Is hard to say. Also just like look of Tracer more

I think that 700 engine has a lot more beans then people think, anyone I know who has ridden one thinks they are very responsive engines and very torquey.
    I prefer twins myself and was mulling around the Tracer 900 and the 700 but think that I would prefer the Tenere 700. I'm more comfortable with big trailies myself. The MT07 is a bit of a hooligan bike so I can see why the Tracer appeals with a bit more practicality and weather protection plus being fun to ride.
    I know some like the triples but they are just a bit close to being an I4 even if they make a lot more power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Following on here, got a mail from Principal this morning wanting 580TPFT 🙄

Advised Principal of the CN quote and have now been given a fully comp quote of €442. Excess is higher with Principal but tbh they were so easy to deal with when changing bike and happy to give quick quotes on potential purchases that I'll go with them. Hopefully the excess won't matter anyway.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think that 700 engine has a lot more beans then people think, anyone I know who has ridden one thinks they are very responsive engines and very torquey.
    I prefer twins myself and was mulling around the Tracer 900 and the 700 but think that I would prefer the Tenere 700. I'm more comfortable with big trailies myself. The MT07 is a bit of a hooligan bike so I can see why the Tracer appeals with a bit more practicality and weather protection plus being fun to ride.
    I know some like the triples but they are just a bit close to being an I4 even if they make a lot more power.

Also like the Tenere... I would like a go on one at least.

How about the Honda. https://www.hondabigwing.in/cb350

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I own two Honda bikes and a Honda convertible already :)

S2000? If so, nice :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Nope its smaller older brother Honda Beat!

Class, must be sweet FA of those still on the road? RWD too isn't it? Some craic I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Where can I get small amount of Kerosene for cleaning my chain in Dublin - Tallaght/Clondalkin area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any place that sells home heating oil.
    Lamp oil is expensive but no smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Just searched older threads. Place on the Crumlin Road will do me. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

already posted by horse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

GBX wrote: »
    Where can I get small amount of Kerosene for cleaning my chain in Dublin - Tallaght/Clondalkin area?

You can use paraffin instead. I'd go to the Clondalkin Village Hardware.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

GBX wrote: »

Or if you don't want to stink, spray some wd40 on a cloth and then chain should wipe clean easy.
    Best way to preserve a chain imo is to keep it clean always.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

blade1 wrote: »
    Or if you don't want to stink, spray some wd40 on a cloth and then chain should wipe clean easy.
    Best way to preserve a chain imo is to keep it clean always.
    Isn't WD40 just kerosene in a nice can?

Breezin wrote: »
    Isn't WD40 just kerosene in a nice can?
    I couldn't say for sure.
    They both clean a chain equally as good as each other.
    Just a suggestion as the wd40 is a less messy/smelly way.
    I wouldn't be going around looking for kerosene if I had a can of WD in the shed.
    Or vise versa for that matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,345 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

WD40 evaporates faster and is a hell of a lot more expensive.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

probally a bad idea, but petrol is also a decent de greaser.
    Just make sure to dry it off and properly grease it back up

WD40 evaporates faster and is a hell of a lot more expensive.
    Evaporating quicker is a good thing, less chance of any that remains on the chain flinging onto your tyre.

Expensive, for a squirt on a cloth?
    I'll send you a euro, it'll keep you going a while. :pac:

• Advertisement

blade1 wrote: »
    I couldn't say for sure.
    They both clean a chain equally as good as each other.
    Just a suggestion as the wd40 is a less messy/smelly way.
    I wouldn't be going around looking for kerosene if I had a can of WD in the shed.
    Or vise versa for that matter.

Same, I wouldn't be going to the bother of going near looking for kerosene. WD 40 or chain cleaner which you can get anywhere will b absolutely perfect.

People say using petrol and stuff wears out the rings but if you change your chain when you should it shouldn't even matter , the chain and sprocket will wear out faster than any o rings.

I wouldn't give a crap personally, if all I had was petrol I'd use that even on a new chain. It's all about the re grease imo not what you use to take it off and what rubber rings you might damage using solvents

Once the chain is lubricated back properly it will be fine.

Note to anyone that doesn't know WD 40 is not a lubricant and you will absolutely **** your chain if you use it as one.

I always look at the chains on bikes when I walk past them on the street and 99% are absolutely destroyed and I wouldn't even ride the bike the state most are in so if you are even talking about cleaning a chain you are a good owner and aware of your safety.and doing good maintenance.

Advertisement