Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

LIGHTNING’s next project :pac:

6-AC1-A30-A-6-F10-4-E5-F-9-E42-A3934-D372655.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

robbie_63 wrote: »
    Cheers will give overlanders a shout and see how much they will charge me,

yeah still working on the lean, came across a guy at the weekend going around a roundabout with the side pegs scraping off the ground!

Wife was like "what an ejit", I was jealous!

What bike was he on?

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    LIGHTNING’s next project :pac:

6-AC1-A30-A-6-F10-4-E5-F-9-E42-A3934-D372655.jpg

You after trading up? :p

blade1 wrote: »
    You after trading up? :p

1975 is a bit too far back for me :o

1975 is a bit too far back for me :o

By the time you have the cbr100f finished it will be the same age as that Yamaha is now! :D

• Advertisement

By the time you have the cbr100f finished it will be the same age as that Yamaha is now! :D

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

What bike was he on?

looked from a distance like a Triumph Street Triple but didn't get close enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Can someone fill me in on the subject of panniers? Does only one particular rack fit some particular panniers? And a rack is made for a particular make/ model year of bike? All info and links appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

horse7 wrote: »
    Can someone fill me in on the subject of panniers? Does only one particular rack fit some particular panniers? And a rack is made for a particular make/ model year of bike? All info and links appreciated.[/QUOTE

You can get a general frame and some bolt on panniers.
    But most panniers will be set for a particular Frame.

I would recommend Givi Panniers as they'll have a frame for most bikes.

For BMW you can get their own brand of Panniers that can be key'd to take the ignition key.

Givi Trekker Panniers can be modified to take the BMW key too

Thinking of changing my kwak from 86-C to ZV.

Opinions?

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    Can someone fill me in on the subject of panniers? Does only one particular rack fit some particular panniers? And a rack is made for a particular make/ model year of bike? All info and links appreciated.[/QUOTE

You can get a general frame and some bolt on panniers.
    But most panniers will be set for a particular Frame.

I would recommend Givi Panniers as they'll have a frame for most bikes.

For BMW you can get their own brand of Panniers that can be key'd to take the ignition key.

Givi Trekker Panniers can be modified to take the BMW key too
    Thanks, so if I get a givi rack for side cases will any panniers fit to the rack or only givi panniers?

Thanks, so if I get a givi rack for side cases will any panniers fit to the rack or only givi panniers?

Get either monolock or monokey system and lots of companies will do boxes that match.
    I reckon a lot of boxes are made by the same factory and are badged by whoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Givi and Kappa can interchange. Can definitely be cheaper from EU sites. https://www.accessorimotostore.com/ is one I've bought from before.

Few bits of info from https://www.motorcycleplanet.co.uk/shopcontent.asp?type=FAQ

What is the difference between Monokey and Monolock boxes?
    Generally speaking Monokey boxes are for Motorcycles while Monolock boxes are for Scooters. Most Monokey boxes are double-skinned which makes them a lot more rigid.

How do I fit a top box to my motorcycle?
    In most cases you'll need a specific Givi fitting kit. The way to find out which kit you require is to click the 'my motorcycle link and find your particular motorcycle on the list.

Do side cases come as a pair?
    Generally they do, however there are a few which are sold individually. please refer to the descriptions.

The universal plate included in the Monolock boxes - what is it for?
    If your bike already has some sort of base/carrier (mainly on scooters) you can fit the universal plate to your bike's carrier without having to purchase an additional fitting kit.

What is the difference between GIVI and KAPPA top boxes?
    They both have their own design of Monokey and Monolock top boxes. However, they all use the same fitting system, which means that KAPPA top boxes can fit onto GIVI fitting kits and vice versa.

Could you explain monolock/monokey?,. So will any of these panniers fit to the rack?

Could you explain monolock/monokey?,. So will any of these panniers fit to the rack?

Page 3 explains it. Monolock is a top box system, monokey is a topbox and pannier system

https://www.eurobike.co.nz/assets/Givi%20luggage%20systems%20how-to%20guide%20June%202020-LR.pdf

They are not interchangeable in that you cant use a monolock top box with a monokey system.

Thanks for all your help.

What bike do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thinking of changing my kwak from 86-C to ZV.

Opinions?

I think the ZV look crap with the huge number after them.
    Better off just making a plain plate with no EU flag and plain black/white font.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think the ZV look crap with the huge number after them.
    Better off just making a plain plate with no EU flag and plain black/white font.

One shop wouldn’t sell me them black plate with silver numbers as it wasn’t conforming they said :rolleyes:

Would you know what the Cork allocation of ZV numbers are currently at or start with? They all look the same to me

I think its over 120k
    Loads of other shops to make plates anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

This is my understanding, I'm open to correction.

Monolock are one box, the top box.

Monokey can apply to one box, but the selling point is that one key will unlock a top box and both side panniers.

*EDIT: And yes, as CJHaughey pointed out they have completely different racks and are not compatible.

Monolock
    ac203980f33b69b1b85f50fa5ad241e35c38ca51_2_PIA_150694_0_100.png?h=630&auto=format&q=50&fit=crop&bg=F0F1F2&fm=jpg&auto=compress&w=630

Monokey
    cef432298274ae0cf1e894f49d6766cbccdabd9f_2_PIA_150693_0_100.png?h=630&auto=format&q=50&fit=crop&bg=F0F1F2&fm=jpg&auto=compress&w=630

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

This is one that you'll need to research but there is no one standard for racks and panniers. Givi and Kappa are one standard but every brand has their own fitment style. You will also find that there are universal panniers by the brands and ones that are styled for your bike, its just cosmetics but usually the ones specific to a bike look nicer. The CBF600 has honda luggage which you might find for sale online too.

Can I ask if you have a top box already and why you want panniers.

By the way, I replied to this a week or 2 ago. you never replied... rude LOL
    https://monimoto.com/uk/ride/4/

Anyone got one of these.

Flicking through Facebook and seen that someone bought this in the states yesterday. Bar the seat/cans/screen mine is the same. Do these look better stock or like this? I’m not altering mine but they are rare to see nowadays

726114-AB-1-D55-471-F-840-F-2-CA8-DEB11647.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I think reversible 'mods' like screen, can, seat (as long as you have an original) are fully acceptable, and can enhance a bike. it also gives the option of going back to standard should you/a future owner so desire.

In terms of what looks better - looks are so subjective. Some people think this looks good:

243cf89e0d4cede39b66806b09d620b7.jpg

there's no accounting for taste (or lack thereof)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

giphy.gif

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Discovered I need new tyres today. Any suggestions?

I see that www.tyres.ie looks pretty keen as it compares a few places. I can get a 120/70/ZR17 for c.€75 and a 160/60/ZR17 for c.€90 delivered. I can find a local guy fit them. Pirelli Diablo's.

I'll tidy up the wheels a bit whilst I'm at it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Breezin wrote: »
    giphy.gif

eb30f36d2c78426f506f039187f262d0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Discovered I need new tyres today. Any suggestions?

I see that www.tyres.ie looks pretty keen as it compares a few places. I can get a 120/70/ZR17 for c.€75 and a 160/60/ZR17 for c.€90 delivered. I can find a local guy fit them. Pirelli Diablo's.

I'll tidy up the wheels a bit whilst I'm at it.

check here for Tyres as well

https://www.tyres-pneus-online.ie/motorcycle-tyre.html

• Advertisement

Watch the video to understand why I posted it.

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1391160409260974080?s=21

Advertisement