Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    Watch the video to understand why I posted it.

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1391160409260974080?s=21

The biker was a stupid pr!ck. Explaining anything to lads like that is pointless. He's already demonstrated that he's an idiot so you're not going to educate him at the lights. Just tell him to eff off. You'll be safe enough, no-one wants to get in a ruck with a MAMIL. :pac:

At the same time, I'm not a fan of self-righteous Twitter and Youtube accounts like that, be it cyclists, bikers, or other road users. If there's an incident that's worth reporting, go to the gardai with it and follow it through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

dmigsy wrote: »
    The biker was a stupid pr!ck. Explaining anything to lads like that is pointless. He's already demonstrated that he's an idiot so you're not going to educate him at the lights. Just tell him to eff off. You'll be safe enough, no-one wants to get in a ruck with a MAMIL. :pac:

At the same time, I'm not a fan of self-righteous Twitter and Youtube accounts like that, be it cyclists, bikers, or other road users. If there's an incident that's worth reporting, go to the gardai with it and follow it through.

Thought he did a great job winding him up. Some people seem to have an automatic rage mode for when they encounter cyclists.
    And he sounds too young to be a mamil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Breezin wrote: »
    Thought he did a great job winding him up. Some people seem to have an automatic rage mode for when they encounter cyclists.
    And he sounds too young to be a mamil.

Looked into the cyclist a bit more. He's gotten fines for cycling without due consideration in videos where he was reporting other drivers. :pac:

https://irishcycle.com/2021/02/24/fine-warning-for-cyclist-after-reporting-motorists-close-passes-to-be-raised-in-dail/

If he has as many incidents as he seems to, he's either a crap cyclist with no ability to cycle defensively or he's actively looking for hassle on the roads. I get the impression it's the latter. Won't end well for him if keeps that craic up. No point being in the right if you're splattered all over the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looked into the cyclist a bit more. He's gotten fines for cycling without due consideration in videos where he was reporting other drivers. :pac:

https://irishcycle.com/2021/02/24/fine-warning-for-cyclist-after-reporting-motorists-close-passes-to-be-raised-in-dail/

If he has as many incidents as he seems to, he's either a crap cyclist with no ability to cycle defensively or he's actively looking for hassle on the roads. I get the impression it's the latter. Won't end well for him if keeps that craic up. No point being in the right if you're splattered all over the road.

The thing about these videos is they only show from a certain point that in this case favours the cyclist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

Hilarious. He seems to have upset the national council for hand signal quality!

But yeah, he is a bit of a cranky crusader.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

He also has his own YouTube channel under the same username, I can’t locate it with ease so didn’t bother any further. I Spoke to someone one day on Ballincollig, an old guy, well into his 60’s and he stopped for a chat as one of my toddlers said hi to him. Seen the camera and asked was he ‘righttobikeit’ he says no but told me his real name, which transpired was in supposedly correct. Obviously I ain’t gonna reveal his name but he stands up for what he believes in outside cycling circles as well. Long story short if I’m to believe who he is, he’s a former motorcyclist. He sold his car, bike and stopped smoking apparently. As I say, the guy who told me is big into his cycling. I’ve never had conflict with cyclists personally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Its a jungle out there, the truckers hate the motorists the motorists hate the bikers the bikers hate the cyclist the cyclist hate the scooters the scooters hate reality and everybody hates the taxies. One big happy family.

Its a jungle out there, the truckers hate the motorists the motorists hate the bikers the bikers hate the cyclist the cyclist hate the scooters the scooters hate reality and everybody hates the taxies. One big happy family.

You forgot bus drivers

You forgot bus drivers

And the Romans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

blade1 wrote: »
    And the Romans.
    What did the Romans ever do for us ?
    :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

What did the Romans ever do for us ?
    :-)

NAAUUFFFFING

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

GBX wrote: »
    What bike do you have?

Vstrom 650xt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Anyone used https://www.motea.com/en/set-panniers-rack-for-suzuki-v-strom-250-650-xt-side-cases-bagtecs-sc22-a052970-0?gclid=5h0pp1n9-en&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1Yu_t6a98AIVQYBQBh0JoAGMEAQYEiABEgJ_mPD_BwE to get stuff,. Are they reliable,. This rack and side cases seems good value but I can't see what volume in litres they each hold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Got a set of soft panniers and roll bag at Christmas, delivery was on time and everything as described.

One for blade1

Seen in Galway

725-EF923-7-D85-4-C78-B975-3-DBF06-E15363.jpg

One for blade1

Seen in Galway

725-EF923-7-D85-4-C78-B975-3-DBF06-E15363.jpg
    Needs to be an R/factory ;)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Mate in German just sold his Fazer for 1500e and it looked like it rolled off the showroom floor. Just shows you how mental the prices of bikes over here.

Similar to my RX, it went from the US to Holland before landing here. Bought her from a thorough gentleman. When Noel Quinn remarks that it’s a clean bike for 1986 you know it’s good.

What would it cost to import a bike from Germany? Ireland was always a rip off to those 30 and under.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Similar to my RX, it went from the US to Holland before landing here. Bought her from a thorough gentleman. When Noel Quinn remarks that it’s a clean bike for 1986 you know it’s good.

What would it cost to import a bike from Germany? Ireland was always a rip off to those 30 and under.

Standard VRT for the bike. So can use the VRT calculator there.
    Its finding the transport to get it over to Ireland is the issue.
    You also won't be able to physically inspect the bike unless you went out to see it, but that's really a full commitment to buying the bike if you fly over to pick it up.
    Or even drive over with a trailer.

• Advertisement

goblin59 wrote: »
    Standard VRT for the bike. So can use the VRT calculator there.
    Its finding the transport to get it over to Ireland is the issue.
    You also won't be able to physically inspect the bike unless you went out to see it, but that's really a full commitment to buying the bike if you fly over to pick it up.
    Or even drive over with a trailer.

I know yer man Slampi does these trips but that in itself is a huge risk. Might be worth it though. I have a French contact who says avoid France for bikes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

I know yer man Slampi does these trips but that in itself is a huge risk. Might be worth it though. I have a French contact who says avoid France for bikes

seeing how he ties up the bikes, yeah I wouldn't risk it.

I've a friend who is planning on doing the trips soon. But I don't think he's offering collection services yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

all the continental bikes coming in, are the headlights being changed?

lennymc wrote: »
    all the continental bikes coming in, are the headlights being changed?

Mine was

Mine was

cool - did you buy it in a shop or privately?

Is there a huge market building in headlights......??

lennymc wrote: »
    cool - did you buy it in a shop or privately?

Is there a huge market building in headlights......??

Bought it from a dealer who replaced the headlight entirely.

I don’t know anyone who can do it

You don't need to change the headlights on a motorbike if you bring it in from the continent, the beam given off is not the same as on a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Mate in German just sold his Fazer for 1500e and it looked like it rolled off the showroom floor. Just shows you how mental the prices of bikes over here.

My OH is Polish (coming over here taking our jobs) and has priced bikes I want in Poland, far cheaper even factoring in VRT and travel. Having somewhere to store them in Poland is also going to come in handy before bringing any purchase home.

My OH is Polish (coming over here taking our jobs) and has priced bikes I want in Poland, far cheaper even factoring in VRT and travel. Having somewhere to store them in Poland is also going to come in handy before bringing any purchase home.

Jimmy is our new contact to bring in bikes :p

• Advertisement

You don't need to change the headlights on a motorbike if you bring it in from the continent, the beam given off is not the same as on a car.

They are can be directional beams. EU spec will point towards the right, uk will point towards the left, so EU spec one in Ireland will potentially dazzle oncoming drivers. You could probably use one of the beam adjusters that you get when driving on the continent (or vice versa). Years ago, a few distributors used to import euro spec bikes here, and change out the headlight to Irish spec before selling it on via official dealers.

Advertisement