Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Discovered I need new tyres today. Any suggestions?

I see that www.tyres.ie looks pretty keen as it compares a few places. I can get a 120/70/ZR17 for c.€75 and a 160/60/ZR17 for c.€90 delivered. I can find a local guy fit them. Pirelli Diablo's.

I'll tidy up the wheels a bit whilst I'm at it.

Update.

www.tyres.ie is a price comparison site and it forwarded me to www.tyres-outlet.ie I place my order there and all seemed well - confirmation email etc. Paid via Paypal.

A few days passed and I looked up my account to work out when delivery might be - no details of my order there.

I contacted their live chat quoting order no's and I was told the tyres were out of stock, and that the orders would be cancelled and a refund made. I got email confirmation but no refund as of yet.

Now here's the thing - tyres.ie still show the same tyres and prices, and tyres-outlet.ie show the same tyres just at a higher price.

I'm glad I used paypal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Definitely wise to use Paypal.

If you haven't reordered yet have a look on https://www.oponeo.ie/ or cottersmc.com .. cotters will deliver anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Took two months for this fecking helmet to finally arrive due to stock issues - I love the colour. Me and 3 friends bought the packtalk's but haven't been able to get out with them yet hopefully they do a job. I'm impressed with the speakers on them just listening to music even with airplugs on.

7ljff3t.jpg

lennymc wrote: »
    They are can be directional beams. EU spec will point towards the right, uk will point towards the left, so EU spec one in Ireland will potentially dazzle oncoming drivers. You could probably use one of the beam adjusters that you get when driving on the continent (or vice versa). Years ago, a few distributors used to import euro spec bikes here, and change out the headlight to Irish spec before selling it on via official dealers.

I don't think they dazzle like car headlights, if you bring a bike to Europe you do not have to put beam adjusters on a bike whereas you do with a car so I don't see why the reverse wouldn't apply.

https://forum.rac.co.uk/threads/7693-Motorcycles-on-the-continent?p=52885#post52885

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I don't think they dazzle like car headlights, if you bring a bike to Europe you do not have to put beam adjusters on a bike whereas you do with a car so I don't see why the reverse wouldn't apply.

https://forum.rac.co.uk/threads/7693-Motorcycles-on-the-continent?p=52885#post52885

i think there are different spec headlights - some have. the kick up that will dazzle oncoming traffic, some have a flat beam. EU spec Bikes have been refused MOTs in the UK due to headlight beam not being UK spec

Maybe it's model specific. I guess it's something to be aware of if anyone is importing a bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Lads does anyone know Vinnie Loughran?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I can only speak for myself, but last year I had absolute hell dealing with Motea. Bought a fairing for the bike off them, took weeks to be delivered (much longer than they said it would be), it clearly wasn't as described, it was extremely cheap quality and wasn't at all designed for the bike I ordered it for.

Took ages to get a refund sorted out, and even then I had to threaten them with a charge back before they finally accepted it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

GBX wrote: »
    Definitely wise to use Paypal.

If you haven't reordered yet have a look on https://www.oponeo.ie/ or cottersmc.com .. cotters will deliver anywhere.

I ordered a set of Metzeller Roadtec Z6 on Oponeo.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

horse7 wrote: »

The panniers I use are more like boxes with lids on them (BMW rack) . These ones are sort of half shells where you have to strap everything in or your stuff will fall out when you open them. I suppose it depends on what sort of things you'll being carrying but for me, it'd be a pain having to strap my gear in.

A few options here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

The panniers I use are more like boxes with lids on them (BMW rack) . These ones are sort of half shells where you have to strap everything in or your stuff will fall out when you open them. I suppose it depends on what sort of things you'll being carrying but for me, it'd be a pain having to strap my gear in.

A few options here

Touratech make the BMW aluminium panniers.
    which half explains the price.

I really like the Givi aluminum panniers too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

For the lads that are buying their tyres online, do ye have any issues getting th fitted or are ye doing it yourselves

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Update.

www.tyres.ie is a price comparison site and it forwarded me to www.tyres-outlet.ie I place my order there and all seemed well - confirmation email etc. Paid via Paypal.

A few days passed and I looked up my account to work out when delivery might be - no details of my order there.

I contacted their live chat quoting order no's and I was told the tyres were out of stock, and that the orders would be cancelled and a refund made. I got email confirmation but no refund as of yet.

Now here's the thing - tyres.ie still show the same tyres and prices, and tyres-outlet.ie show the same tyres just at a higher price.

I'm glad I used paypal!

Hmmmm.

Their email promised a refund to my Paypal account by yesterday. I've just checked and it's not done.

I'll ask them later on their chat and will open a dispute tomorrow if it's not done.

Pulled the cover off the R100 today and had a look to see the state of the engine.
    Externally looks manky, but the engine with the plugs out turns fairly easily by hand.
    Next step is getting it down to Dublin to strip down and see what needs what done to it

Hmmmm.

Their email promised a refund to my Paypal account by yesterday. I've just checked and it's not done.

I'll ask them later on their chat and will open a dispute tomorrow if it's not done.

Refunds are now done. Not before time. My new tyres started their journey in Salamanca Spain, and the last report was that they made it as far as Barcelona airport.

Things are indeed quiet when you track stuff online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

udTTPVf.jpg
    Next project ready to get down to Dublin to be taken apart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I love it. It looks like Toecutters bike...

On a side note there is definitely a market for a bricks n mortar parts supplier in Dublin, I got sparks, Air filter and oil filter and had to go to 3 different shops today. I wasn't exactly buying bits for a Vincent Black Shadow either. If I wanted to build a 1989 Toyota Corrolla from scratch I'd go to Southside Motorfactors and whatever they didn't have in the morning they'd have it after 2

• Advertisement

I love it. It looks like Toecutters bike...

On a side note there is definitely a market for a bricks n mortar parts supplier in Dublin, I got sparks, Air filter and oil filter and had to go to 3 different shops today. I wasn't exactly buying bits for a Vincent Black Shadow either. If I wanted to build a 1989 Toyota Corrolla from scratch I'd go to Southside Motorfactors and whatever they didn't have in the morning they'd have it after 2

I honestly can't wait to get started on this bike.
    I have memories of being dropped to Judo classes at 4 or 5 years old on this machine.
    My parents took it across a good chunk of Europe too before I was born.

Externally I'm keeping it the same way, not a chance its becoming a cafe racer or tracker.
    Internally I'm updating the lights to LED bulbs, Motogadget M-unit blue, new wiring Harness probally update the alternator to the 600watt version.
    Change the valves to the lead free conversion.
    YSS shocks and update the internals of the forks.

Luckily with my parents living in Fermanagh, Motoworks won't be too bad with postage to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

Anyone buy the new tracer9?

188781325_4372035759486960_4758319577410203586_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=vCClwIoLZBcAX8ZMytG&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5423793681bae48ba165a888c310d4f0&oe=60CB0AB4R100 is now VRT'd and in my name.
    Brought it down to Dublin today and had the uk Reg changed to a ZV reg.
    Last time this bike was in dublin was probally back in 2005 / 2006 before Dad moved onto a Yamaha Diversion (now sold) and a BMW K75RT (There are plans for this to get back onto the road)

I'm going to start stripping this bike down soon to the individual parts, and see whats needs to be rebuilt, replaced and all that.

Oh, I'll be heading back to Fermanagh in a few days to get the Van and trailer back to Dad.
    Does anyone need a bike brought up from Dublin?
    Trailer is currently going back empty, so not a big deal for me to bring a bike along the way with me

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

It’s on a ZV reg now? What year? I’ll most likely go ZV at some point on my 86

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    It’s on a ZV reg now? What year? I’ll most likely go ZV at some point on my 86

1981, so one of the first to get Nikasil cylinders

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Would anyone have a recommendation for a backpack with decent capacity and good waterproofing? Need something for overnighting, change of clothes and a few bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206835

Have this myself and find it brilliant. Have lent it to a friend a few times as well and he's looking to buy one now too he was so impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/206835

Have this myself and find it brilliant. Have lent it to a friend a few times as well and he's looking to buy one now too he was so impressed.

This is the very one I've been mulling over. On the steeper end pricewise but looks like theres great room. Any negatives?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Have you considered a saddle bag or a roll bag? Rucksacks are a pain in the ass on a bike. A good roll bag will be 100% waterproof but a lot cheaper than a kriega.

Advertisement