Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭dmigsy

GBX wrote: »
    Not good but you do know that a lot of bike shops don't operate on Mondays? Did you follow up on Tue/Wed? Some are not great in replying by email - id try ringing again if you haven't already.

Nah, they open Mondays alright. Not a small operation either. Wouldn't be arsed chasing them to give them money.

Bike shops seem to be exceptionally bad in comparison to other types of retailer. The only exception I've had experience of so far was when dealing with CCM Racing in Tallaght - great buying and service experience with them. The others I've dealt with it's like they're going out of their way to do you a favour by selling you what you're after. Bizarre way to do business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

dmigsy wrote: »
    I'm always whinging about bike shops in Dublin and their service levels. The latest one - on Monday I tried calling the place I bought my bike from last year to book it in for its 6000km service. Called 3 times during the day - no answer. Sent them an email Monday afternoon. Still no response.

Absolutely useless. They obviously don't want my money. They won't see another cent from me. Any recommended workshops in Dublin who want business?

You're probally better just showing up with the bike and telling them in person to schedule you in.

I'd recommend going with the shop you purchased the bike from though for the 6000km service just incase something comes up and they've to cover it under warranty.
    Friend of mine had an issue with a brand new Tenere 700, massive headache just because of a dodgy disc.instead of just swapping the disc they sent the entire wheel off to Yamaha

goblin59 wrote: »
    You're probally better just showing up with the bike and telling them in person to schedule you in.

I'd recommend going with the shop you purchased the bike from though for the 6000km service just incase something comes up and they've to cover it under warranty.
    Friend of mine had an issue with a brand new Tenere 700, massive headache just because of a dodgy disc.instead of just swapping the disc they sent the entire wheel off to Yamaha

A 45 min return journey over to them to book a service? Fcuk that! Fair point re warranty but I'll be taking my chances bringing it elsewhere. You've got to vote with your wallet imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭horse7

I'm always whinging about bike shops in Dublin and their service levels. The latest one - on Monday I tried calling the place I bought my bike from last year to book it in for its 6000km service. Called 3 times during the day - no answer. Sent them an email Monday afternoon. Still no response.

Absolutely useless. They obviously don't want my money. They won't see another cent from me. Any recommended workshops in Dublin who want business?

what shop is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

horse7 wrote: »
    what shop is it?

You'd think he'd have got back to you by now! :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I was touching up the wheels on the SFV650 having repainted them and fitting new tyres and ran out of paint. I was using a rattle can of Simoniz Tough Paint - Satin Black, which is good stuff.

I got the stuff through www.motorbikeshop.ie but delivery is prohibitively expensive, so I looked elsewhere.

I found it on www.eurocarparts.ie for €6.69 and in stock in Limerick.

Drove there earlier and picked up a tin. Guy at the counter scanned it and asked for €13 odd. I pointed out that their website had it listed for almost half that. He said that was click and collect only.

I put the tin on the counter and said I'd be back in a minute.

I went outside, registered an account, and selected click and collect in Limerick. Got a confirmation email in seconds.

I then went back in, quoted my order number, and paid the guy €6.69 :D

I was touching up the wheels on the SFV650 having repainted them and fitting new tyres and ran out of paint. I was using a rattle can of Simoniz Tough Paint - Satin Black, which is good stuff.

I got the stuff through www.motorbikeshop.ie but delivery is prohibitively expensive, so I looked elsewhere.

Drove there earlier and picked up a tin. Guy at the counter scanned it and asked for €13 odd. I pointed out that their website had it listed for almost half that. He said that was click and collect only.

I went outside, registered an account, and selected click and collect in Limerick. Got a confirmation email in seconds.

Deadly. Absolute retail muppetry at its finest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

tenor.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fair play! :D Chancers - everyone has to make a few quid but that is taking the p!ss!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Isn't that a complete nonsense. Customer service has been so bad for so long that were all a little indifferent to being roasted. I bought some heating oil earlier today and when I paid with my card the price increased by €16 from proceed with order to transaction complete. And what did I do about it,
    Absolutely nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Fuppin priceless fair ball to you :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Cienciano wrote: »
    Backpack is grand for a short trip, but definitely not for touring. Fúcked up my back from using one before, never again.

Yeah, I've used backpacks when touring but just for light stuff (food I'm eating today) and stuff I need to get to quickly (waterproofs, and food ;) )

Always be thinking "what would happen to my spine if I landed on that"

Scrap the cap!

TheQ_Man wrote: »
    I don’t know which one I want more :(

5-F070418-0766-46-E8-805-A-C14-E60-E2-FF15.jpg

Ah, a GPz900R-A7 or later which came with the 17" front wheel and no anti-dive, the latter rarely worked well and was a nightmare to maintain.

I have an original '90 A7 in black and silver if you want to make me a large offer ;)

Scrap the cap!

blade1 wrote: »
    My ZZR spent most of lock down locked up.

Noticed a few of the lower fairing bolts getting rusty so better to keep on top of them.
    I have a polishing mop attached to one side of my bench grinder so a quick rub on that had them nice and shiny again.

I found a brass wire brush in a Dremel* great for bringing up small parts nice and shiny without being too harsh.

I forgot to mask off the compression damping adjusters when doing the first primer coat on my forks :o they're stainless steel and came up lovely and shiny.

* Parkside knock-off from Lidl :)

Scrap the cap!

Yeah, they inject silicon-type stuff into your ears to get the mould.

Never heard :pac: of Specsavers offering that service?

Last time I got an eye test, they offered me an automated hearing test in a noisy room :pac: but they don't like me because I both work and don't pay* PRSI so they have to eat the cost of the "free" eye test instead of socking it to the social.

* Well I pay 4% the same as pretty much everyone else but don't get optical and dental benefits, I is one of the lesser spotted pre-6 April 1995 public swervants.

Oh, and it's silicone, a compound of the metalloid silicon and oxygen. It's funny when the media talk about "silicone chips" or "silicon implants". Gets on my tits ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Ah, a GPz900R-A7 or later which came with the 17" front wheel and no anti-dive, the latter rarely worked well and was a nightmare to maintain.

I have an original '90 A7 in black and silver if you want to make me a large offer ;)

Won’t be anytime soon but give me an idea of ‘large’

Won’t be anytime soon but give me an idea of ‘large’

At a guess I'd say large in this case either means not for sale or astronomical.

blade1 wrote: »
    At a guess I'd say large in this case either means not for sale or astronomical.

I’m thinking it must be five figures.

Looking for recommendations on where to get hoses/pipes made up in Cork other than pirtek if anyone knows of places.

TIA

• Advertisement

FFS , seat cowl.on my blade came off on the way while ago.
    The screws holding it to it's backing plate came loose.
    Just sanded it down there to get the lighter scuffs off but there's five spots where the red paint came completely off.
    Ordered some touch up paint and I'll give it a lacquer all over.
    Hopefully it'll come out ok.
    I'm cracking over it as it's a genuine Honda cowl.
    I suppose at least it didn't break.

I had some Audi Missano Red in the shed which wasn't a bad match to Honda's Winning Red.
    I which now I took some pics of all the scuffs but it hasn't come out too bad with a polish.

A couple of spots where the paint was gone.

IMG-20210604-220233-Bokeh-01.jpg

And now

IMG-20210605-075541.jpg

IMG-20210605-075526.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That's a superb colour match. But a small bit of body filler and a light sand would take the gouge out nearly disappear the whole thing. Would you consider filler and then touch up again.

This is very good :pac:

F18758-F2-ECB3-4082-9359-D298-A08-F321-A.jpg

Some bang of arrogance off that.

Scrap the cap!

I’m thinking it must be five figures.

Ah, no, four will do ;)

I honestly have no idea what it's really worth. Good original condition (apart from stainless aftermarket downpipes) but been sitting under a cover for 15 years. Someday...

Scrap the cap!

listermint wrote: »
    That's a superb colour match. But a small bit of body filler and a light sand would take the gouge out nearly disappear the whole thing. Would you consider filler and then touch up again.

Yeah I'll see.
    What worries me about these kind of jobs is getting the finish the same as the rest of the bike.
    It's almost at an acceptable level but I'll wait and see how much it bugs me.
    I even looked for a new one last night but they are discontinued.
    I was lucky as there was a car behind me when it came.
    Out of the four screws supposed to be holding it on there was only one left thrown inside the tail piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

i see the little guy needs 3 condoms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

PMU wrote: »
    i see the little guy needs 3 condoms

Goes like a sewing machine

Think I came up behind that Slampi fella earlier.
    White van, trailer on the backwith around 5 bikes on it.
    A CB750 Nighthawk, an SP1 and a zx6r.
    Didn't catch the other couple of bikes.
    I wouldn't fancy having a bike arriving like that.

• Advertisement

Thinking of changing the SV650 for a sports tourer in the next couple of months (moving down the country from Dublin so will have to do more motorway miles, that's my excuse). Went into Bikeworld today to throw a leg over the 2021 Ninja 1000SX. They had one that sold yesterday but won't be able to get anymore in until Oct/Nov! Due to Covid-related delays at Kawasaki apparently. They're mad expensive new anyway, especially with all the options you'd want, but that timeline rules it out as a short-term option. The missus was delighted when I got back and told her. :pac:

Looking now at second-hand. Not many 1000SX about but will keep my eye out. Won't be buying for at least 4/6 weeks anyway. VFR800 might actually fit the bill nicely or I might just keep just the SV for another year. Or get a cheaper VFR and keep the SV - I'll have the luxury of my own garage when I move, so much better than parking in a poxy underground apartment block car park. Decisions, decisions.

Advertisement