Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Ah renewal time is back.

Principal offering Comprehensive for €325 via Axa Insurance, but then decided to check out Carol Nash and they're offering the same for €237.25

I had a similar experience, Principal have bad rates this year compared to CN.
    But as always it pays to shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Duke Dan

Ah renewal time is back.

Principal offering Comprehensive for €325 via Axa Insurance, but then decided to check out Carol Nash and they're offering the same for €237.25

Great price - what are you riding?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Duke Dan wrote: »
    Great price - what are you riding?

Dragstar Classic 650cc.

Pretty happy with that price and can't find anything lower as of now.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭TheQ_Man

Ah renewal time is back.

Went with CN myself. AXA & Principal couldn’t get near them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Has anyone ever used fuel baffle / Foam on their bikes before?
    Setting up the bike for a long distance trip along the Trans European Trail and I've a 30 litre tank sitting spare for the DR650, but the issue I don't want to be thrown about by the sloshing of the tank as it gets half empty.

The stock tank is 13 litres, so I get about 180km or so from it.

The Safari Tank would give me maybe 600km.

Before anyone says get a smaller tank, This one is sitting free for me to use as Dad isn't using it on his bikes, so Im saving about 300 euro not buying a new 20L acerbis tank

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,085 ✭✭✭✭listermint

goblin59 wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used fuel baffle / Foam on their bikes before?
    Setting up the bike for a long distance trip along the Trans European Trail and I've a 30 litre tank sitting spare for the DR650, but the issue I don't want to be thrown about by the sloshing of the tank as it gets half empty.

The stock tank is 13 litres, so I get about 180km or so from it.

The Safari Tank would give me maybe 600km.

Before anyone says get a smaller tank, This one is sitting free for me to use as Dad isn't using it on his bikes, so Im saving about 300 euro not buying a new 20L acerbis tank

Two things.

Jesus 13 litres is poxy didn't think it was that small.

Secondly the acerbis tanks can be got for far far less than 300 lids

Thirdly why buy acerbis. Just get two portable 10 litre ones. Theres acres of styles available at very little cost and having them seperate lessons loss risk.. I wouldn't Carry unnecessary bulk on a trip free or not so the 30 litre idea I'd ditch.

listermint wrote: »
    Two things.

Jesus 13 litres is poxy didn't think it was that small.

Secondly the acerbis tanks can be got for far far less than 300 lids

Thirdly why buy acerbis. Just get two portable 10 litre ones. Theres acres of styles available at very little cost and having them seperate lessons loss risk.. I wouldn't Carry unnecessary bulk on a trip free or not so the 30 litre idea I'd ditch.

Yeah the stock tank sucks.
    There isn't alot of space on the bike for jerry cans, I have a rotopax I tried to fit to the bike and Decided it was too bulky with the panniers and stuff, plus I have to allocate space to water as I'm pretty much camping most of it.

Nearly every acerbis for the DR is £263 on ebay, or on FC moto they have the 25 litre for €300 or so.

The Clarkes tank from what I can see is cheaper, at about 200 dollers plus P&P, VAt and ****e but 14 litres, and the IMS is 22 litres, but £200 plus £50 P&P plus VAT, handling fees and all that crap.

The acerbis is nearly the same price then as the other two as there isn't VAT involved, just FC moto's 7 euro postage and I know what the quality of the tank is like as Dad has been using one for years (I can't borrow his either at the moment as he's coming too)

Bit the small stackable Jerry's can go up front left and or right on the back stacked one side or both or on the back.

Plenty of spots for them

Bit the small stackable Jerry's can go up front left and or right on the back stacked one side or both or on the back.

Plenty of spots for them

on the DR? its not that big a bike tbh.
    On my GS defintely, but not the DR why everyone kits them out with oversized tanks.

goblin59 wrote: »
    on the DR? its not that big a bike tbh.
    On my GS defintely, but not the DR why everyone kits them out with oversized tanks.

Your DR650 is bigger than the 125 that itchy boots is shooting around the south of Africa on right now and she has them strapped on with no problems.

• Advertisement

Your DR650 is bigger than the 125 that itchy boots is shooting around the south of Africa on right now and she has them strapped on with no problems.

so quick google on itchy boots (I rarely watch youtube, so didn't know who that was)
    She's on a Royal Enfield himilayan from what I see on google, which is the same size of bike, just slightly lower down and has a purpose built frame around the stock tank for holding rotopax,
    my neighbour across the road has the exact same bike.

End of the day we're missing the point of, This is a free tank and I wanted to know if anyone had used that foam stuff to prevent sloshing.
    With having the Safari just sitting in storage and ready to use, I can't justify spending more money on rotopax and fitting kits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonderful, we're back, now to get used to it🤣😓

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Yeah but we've been landed with a f*ckin' Harley!!!

I’ve been slagged for having a deauville. Is a Harley worse?? 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭PCeeeee

Anyone riding a Tracer 7/700? I looked at one today. Very tempted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

Saw a red one recently really nice.

Or maybe that was a tracer9 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

In case anyone is interested or unaware, there's a bit of a Boards alternative over at ****.

Ive requested they setup a bike forum, so if this place is giving you a ball ache, you can swing over there and have a chat.

https://****/viewforum.php?f=26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I'm in, this has gone on long enough, and its not just navigating, it slow as fúck too

• Advertisement

I’m there too. Hopefully it lasts longer than the last site I Was part of a mass abandonment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I rode one in Poland last Saturday. It was grand, its a fine bike for getting around on, I rode for two hours and it might as well have been 2 minutes.

It used a sniff of fuel and is quite light.

It will not make your balls tingle though if you get me. Probably the Corolla of the bike world

What's the consensus on KTM Duke 390. Have a leaner newbie looking at one. Reliability? And major issues.

anyone know if we can change the layout back to the old style before the server change? I really don't like this one haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

On desktop version there's an extension you can edit JavaScript and CSS to make some changes

Thread on it here

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/117655635#Comment_117655635

cheers! wait, is the a mobile version too?

I'm off on a 6 week motorcycle trip next week, so won't be able to post pics of that on here xD

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Insurance renewal arrived. I took a sizeable hit last year as it was my first year on the road on a bike, no NCB or road time and only Carole Nash would insure me on the VFR with no experience. At the time the lady in CN assured me 1 years NCB would make a bit difference (much more so than the full licence). Delighted to see that wasn't bullshit, premium dropped by €800 (from 1250 to 450) pre any negotiation and pre telling them I've got the full licence. Happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Tax question if anybody knows off hand. Looking to buy a bike that's not taxed. What are the implications? Let's assume the bike was not taxed in a few years. Will I owe the outstanding balance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,462 ✭✭✭✭Esel

No, you will not be liable. Neither will the seller.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement