Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its a pain in the hoop returning boots/jackets/gloves that don't fit like you think they should. I've gone down that road and just buy from bricks and mortar shops now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭sonic85

Thanks for the replies lads - I appreciate it. I'm going to have to set aside a Saturday and go to a bricks and mortar shop then so! Any recommendations for a decent place that stocks Alpinestars stuff?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Megabikes do them. Id go to their Ballymount store though, better selection.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Is there an area where electric scooters are being discussed? I'd like to know the position as regards insurance, tax, license and helmet requirements.

p.s. My new mini windscreen is now on it's way from Germany.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

I've seen a few threads but no idea where they are really ,most i see use them for communing a few exceptions , I personally don't think they should be subject to tax, insurance license ,helmet (personal choice) and should be treated like bikes in general ,just bring in some laws that you can be finded or confiscated for acting the maggot on one !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,744 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I found this since....https://www.gov.ie/en/press-release/12185-government-approves-next-steps-for-escooter-and-ebike-legislation/#

So they are effectively in limbo currently.

I think they are more potentially dangerous that regular bikes tbh - faster and heavier. They are also very easy to modify to increase performance.

I wonder will they be allowed to go on roads, cycle paths, and even pavements?

Did the bikesafe recently- Gardai hands are tied on it till legislation is passed.

It was grand. Classroom for half of it going through various aspects of road safety, stats, tips on roadcraft. Some very good info. Then other half on a spin with a Garda bike behind who gives you an assessment after. They generally will encourage all to go for more training anyway.

My mate who applied is RoSPA trained, they said no to him as he is too experienced. It's worth doing definitely.

Cotters megabikes and bikeworld are all within 5 mins of each other, try em all!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

I've bought boots from Bikeworld before and found them very good to deal with, I had them swapped out as the size was wrong,

2nd set of boots arrived next day before courier had even picked up the first set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Bought some Alpinestars

I usually take a 7 in shoes ended up with a 9 in the boots leaving enough room for big wolly socks for the colder days :-)

Got them in megabikes in town

How did you come across it? Was looking at Autoscout for bikes round Europe but are there better sites?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I found mine via Mobile.de, but I was using AutoScout too.

VRT visit today 🙃

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

What was the damage? If you didn't have to pay that, the flights and the road trip back would it have been of a similar price and standard in Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

tbh, there was none available in this country, new or used, at any price, so there is nothing to compare it to.

I was in negotiation to buy new here, but one shop quoted me 12 month's lead time, and the other 6 months. Which, tbh at this time of year wouldn't have bothered me. But then the issue of the colour I wanted was discontinued for 2022, and the new colour was a bit...........meh.

I was all set to go with it though, and if I hadn't seen a guy pull up outside the shop with one, in the colour I wanted ( a 212 CE-reg one), as I left the shop, I'd have probably have just resigned myself to the 2022 colour. But when the SO saw it she said 'forget the blue one: it's this colour or nothing'. And she was right.

On the ferry from Cherbourg....

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

you made the right decision xD

I would be tempted tbh to do a fly out to buy and ride a bike back to Ireland and then just sell it to do again later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,331 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

So they are effectively in limbo currently.

Nothing limbo about it - unless and until the law is changed, they're illegal.

Scrap the cap!

New installations of wire rope barriers are banned in Northern Ireland.

Is it true that the new dual carriageway opened in Sligo the other week has wire rope???

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

My uncle before he died was heavily against these from the beginning! think he was part of the ride out to protest them.

some of the older lads on here would remember him I think, but he was **** nuts, great biker and mechanic though. Owned a BSA M20 that you could hear from miles out so always knew when he was visiting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,305 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw a group heading towards Laragh today. Hardcore in this weather

Not really. The Gardai weren't enforcing the law so I think the term "in limbo" was quite reasonable.

p.s. I see the details of the new legislation have now been published. It's a messy situation. I can see these yokes hitting pedestrians on footpaths frequently.

The gardai don't enforce a lot of laws unless they feel like it, nobody pretends that that makes those things legal but for some reason the media have kept implying that e-scooters etc. are not illegal when they absolutely are.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

Got an RSA email to say to go online and book the test

Applied in march

Had listed Deans grange as the test Centre but when I check online it says no availability

Do you need to be checking every couple of days

I'm not that pushed to be honest might put if off till after xmas still not sure

having some issues with the bike and need to look at the steering bearings and front brakes i'm getting some pulsing on the front not sure if its the pads or the head bearings have some that I ordered a while ago just the weather is a bit muck for working outside at the mo

The Versys is not an A class bike anyway so I would need to rent / buy one and they only give you 10 days to book according to the email

Warped disc. If it's a floating type then freeing up the bobbins might help but usually they need to be replaced.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well,it should be clarified that "some" Gardai were'nt enforcing the law,just as some District Justices sometimes avoid the "enforcing" bit also....

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/courtandcrime/arid-40269938.html

Judge Murphy fined Mr Blwlus, a Polish national with an address of Collins Park, Kilrush Rd, Ennis, €200 but said that she wouldn’t impose a road ban because of the unique circumstances and mitigating factors in the case.

Judge Murphy stated: “Every single mechanically propelled vehicle is required to have insurance and cannot and should not be on the road unless it has insurance.”

That is very clear and unambigious is it not ?

But,if a Garda cautions you and allows you to proceed,then it could be seen as foolish not to take that Garda's caution and act accordingly.

As is often said in courtrooms across our green & pleasant land,"Ignorance of the Law is No defence against it" .

As it currently stands,the RSA in particular,are performing mental acrobatics to avoid,at all costs,recognising the reality that people,dressed in black,flying around the place on equally black electric scooters,with little or no lighting or any other safety aids are a danger to themselves AND every other road user

Currently only the Singaporean authorities have taken any meaningful action to sort these yokes out....much to the disgust of owners and,of course retailers.

https://asiatimes.com/2020/01/e-scooter-ban-puts-singapore-in-a-slow-lane/

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Anybody know off hand if motorcycle sat navs come with a radio as standard? I've read through a few and don't seem to find that option. I would rather not use my phone etc. Or is it something only available on high end sat nav systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭SupplyandDemandZone

Anyone have or even ridden the Benelli TRK 502 either the standard or the x version. The 21 MT09 is a brilliant bike but im going to need something a bit more practical for the daily commute and all iv'e read is good reviews about them. That said i see a few newer ones up for sale on the interwebs so im wondering if lads/lassies are buying them and finding them too heavy or slow. I know they are only 48bhp and heavy but im a big tall guy so not that worried about the weight im more interested in build quality and reliability.

That offence was March 2020 though and the newspaper report April 2021. Things have moved on quite a bit since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

These are now being legalised... they are being treated the same as bikes, up to a certain power output, no insurance, can be used on cycle paths etc. Over the power threshold and they are considered scooters and would require insurance, registration etc...

It's a good approach as far as I'm concerned... the solution to traffic is a mix of vehcle types (and greatly reduced car use)...

Advertisement