Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

I had my wheels powdercoated there a few years back, and I reckon thats been the source of the pulsing in my front brake lever. The guys who did the coating, didnt mask off the disc seats (?), so I gave it a good go at the time removing the powercoat, however I reckon they need to be put in a lathe and skimmed. Does anyone know of anyone that would offer that service in Dublin? 17" wheels from an 05 zx6r

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

Take your front caliper off and spin the wheel on the axle, you can use a pencil to see if theres wobble in the disc.

I had some pulsing on my bike before, but after bleeding the ABS that fixed the issue

The Benelli dealer got back to me and said that the bike has a power/weight of 0.12. It has to he above 0.1 to he A2 so it seems to be sufficient.

That said, I'll get the cert of conformity and I'll ask my instructor about bike rental. At least that way I have both options open.

I reckon I'll do a pretest on the bigger bike and see what my instructor reckons. When booking the bike test, do you book a specific licence-category test, or is it just a "bike test" and they figure out what license you're gonna get based on what you show up riding?

I know im probably asking some annoying, basic questions, but i really do appreciate the help.

Unrelated, I went for my first spin on the bike this morning at 6am for half an hour (unil my fingers started getting numb from coldness). I really think there's more needed in the IBT. My next IBT stuff is on the road (did the 'compound/yard' training, figure of 8, slalom etc) but I'm not even nearly competent enough to be surrounded by traffic yet.

My on-the-road IBT is not for 3 weeks, so im hoping the weather will ease up a bit and I'll get a few hours practice in before then.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Acquiescence

Eh, are you riding around on the road with no IBT?

This sounds like you havn't completed your IBT and that your driving on the road with no valid insurance.

The IBT when you finish it and road legal as a learner will give you a certificate to show you've completed the IBT training

• Advertisement

You're also required to carry this IBT certificate with you as a learner incase your pulled over by the Garda and asked for it

I've done the IBT modules for everything bar the on the road part. I've done the basic handling and there's no way would I go straight from that to driving around of an afternoon in weekend traffic. Not a hope of it.

So I got up this morning at 5.30 and went out for a spin to a nearby lidl carpark to get a bit more familiar with what I'm doing. Is it legal? Nope. Is it the safest thing to do? Absolutely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The hell it is. The safest thing to do is complete your IBT THEN buy a bike. Not the other way around.

What if you have an embarrassing little slide, friendly garda stops to see if you're ok... then wants to see your licence?

You could end your motorcycling career before it begins and lose your car licence too.

Practice? You don't need practice to pass the IBT. That's not the point of IBT. It's a process. The point of IBT is riding the bike while supervised by an instructor, first off road then on road. You won't be let on the road if you're not ready, let your instructor worry about that.

You almost got caught out in this instance by buying a bike which can't be used to take any class of test on. They're out there and the chances of a novice rider knowing which bikes to avoid are near nil.

Did you apply for class A on your learner permit as well as A2? If not get that sorted before completing your IBT as you're cutting your options off before you begin.

Scrap the cap!

I'd completely disagree. Definitely better to practice on your own between IBT modules. I'd encourage anyone/everyone to do it. Same as the car (or bus/HGV if you've access to them between lessons) - Always best to get to grips with what you're doing between lessons. If you're learning to play the piano, you don't take a lesson and then ignore it until the next lesson. You practice in between. Besides, I'm not sure where you live, but where I am the place is saturated with Gardai, and you still never see them on the road at oddball hours, let alone patrolling Lidl car parks.

I also, in all fairness, was never 'nearly caught out' with the bike. I bought an 18 month old bike from a main dealer of that bike brand; there was never gonna be any risk of the paperwork being 'off' or such. And all the info that was available to me, I used to make my decision, which turned out to be correct (although I do appreciate the help here in clarifying the power/weight thing, I definitely don't want to come across as rude here, a lot of people have helped me out, and it is genuinely and sincerely appreciated - as an aside, today the dealer sent me a on paperwork with the bikes details including it's power/weight ratio, so that's sorted now, thankfully - bike is A2, as expected).

(for what it's worth, I know this post may come off as confrontational or snide, or like I'm having a go at you @Hotblack Desiato - but that's not the case at all. I do appreciate that you're well-meaning and I am not trying to be hostile. I appreciate all information, advice, etc. although I will be honest when I disagree with it).

I presume all IBTs are created equally - and having done mine so far, I would not be at all comfortable going out on the open road, in traffic. My instructor reckons I did really, really well at the compound/yard/off road (whatever you prefer to call it) modules, but I still wouldn't have the confidence to head into proper traffic from just those IBT modules. What I did on my own this morning did me the world of good and got me much more confident. Same as when I was learning to drive a car - head out at 5am when the place is dead, and work on all the stuff you're struggling with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

You don't feel the IBT prepares you for the road, so instead, you went out on the road without completing the IBT?

Its literally designed to prepare you to go out on the road... You should give it a go and complete the ' out on the road with supervision' section, you'd be surprised.

Honestly, it sounds like you just want to do what you want to do and will make excuses to do that.

I did my full IBT over two days. Was a much better way for me, intensive and concise. I'll continue to do more lessons until I do a test and then continue to take courses where I can to improve my skills.

• Advertisement

I'm assuming you either deliberately didn't read, or chose to not acknowledge the 5:30am part of my post, as that part makes your comment out to be more than a little silly. My IBT isn't on empty roads, but I have access to empty roads when i want to use them. If you can't see the different there then I'm not sure it's worth arguing the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

5.30 or not, you went out uninsured - your insurance will state a valid IBT is needed and ypu are saying you did the right thing? Come on now, bit of growing up to do on your part. If you didn't feel ready after the compound work let your instructor know. Going out uninsured for a first ride is incredibly naive and silly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

You have no guarantee that the roads are empty at any time. In addition, it is a legal requirement to have completed IBT to be on a public road as a learner. It is also no doubt a condition of your insurance policy. These are indisputable facts.

That doesn't consider the additional hazardous factors like the the low level of lighting at that hour of the morning and the number of HGVs on the road to make deliveries. In my opinion, what you did was foolhardy and you are fortunate that there was no adverse outcome. Please refrain from any more expeditions until a qualified IBT instructor has certified you to do so.

Fair enough. I won't do it again. I promise with all my heart...

Does anyone know Where I can get a crank case bearing pushed in in Dublin? Have to do the main bearing for the airhead, and its not enough to freeze and tap unfortunatly.

Also need to get a bearing pulled off the gearbox shaft as my pullers arn't up to the job

Lol, I forget that the ROTR don't apply at 5.30...

@[Deleted User]

I'd completely disagree. Definitely better to practice on your own between IBT modules. I'd encourage anyone/everyone to do it. Same as the car (or bus/HGV if you've access to them between lessons) - Always best to get to grips with what you're doing between lessons

I don't think you understand what IBT is, and what it's intended to do. It's not supposed to be done as a series of modules, it's a couple of full days which are usually taken together.

Until you've completed IBT and been signed off, you're not licensed and you're not insured either.

It's not the same as a car, at all. A car learner permit is valid as soon as you get it and you can drive all you want, legally (supervised). The compulsory modules for a car are supposed to be taken spaced out with practice in between, it's not intended to give you minimum skills to drive like IBT is, it's intended to prepare you for passing your test.

I presume all IBTs are created equally - and having done mine so far, I would not be at all comfortable going out on the open road, in traffic.

You haven't completed your IBT though. You've done a bit in a classroom and a bit in a yard under supervision. Of course you're not ready to be off on the road on your own.

Many of us, myself included, started off under the old system - get your provisional in the post and off you go, maybe with a friend teaching you how to change gear first... and most of us have at least some wallet and body scars as a result of that. Novice motorcyclists have a terrible accident rate and that's what IBT was brought in to address. A little humility and willingness to listen and learn is worth its weight in gold when starting out on a motorcycle. They're unforgiving b!tches when you get something a bit wrong.

Scrap the cap!

I'm not sure how you've managed to quote part of my post like that. I can only seem to quote people's entire post in one go for some reason.

Nonetheless, I do understand what IBT is intended to do. I get the idea behind it. I also understand that cars are different. However, I'm not an idiot - If I feel like I'm absolutely not comfortable going out on the roads with weekend traffic around me, then I'm not going to do it. My next module is exactly that. I don't feel like I've been on a bike for even nearly long enough to feel comfortable riding in "the real world".

So I will practice on my own in between modules. Same as I did with my car and I was learning to drive. Was I legally able to hop into my car and boot it around the town? Yes. Did I feel comfortable doing so? No. So I went out in the early hours of the mornings and practiced on the empty roads. Did my clutch control, hill starts, etc. on real roads that I'd be using in day-to-day life whilst there was no traffic on them.

Same exact thing I have, and will, be doing with the bike. Then when I attend my last IBT day, I won't be panicking and stressing. I'll be comfortable on the bike and will be able to complete the modules properly.

I've no idea what the high-horse thing is with boards. My IBT instructor even said most people practice between modules, and he encouraged it. Everyone I met on the IBT classes (except one person, to be fair) all planned to practice between modules. The real world and boards are very detached.

Speaking of learning to ride a bike, does anyone ever watch the videos on Youtube by the "motor man" Jerry Palladino. They're very well put together videos. Have been tempted to spend the 20 quid on his downloadable stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8fYxrlH2nM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭geotrig

When you go back the next day to do your 2 ibt day you'll probably spend some time while in the yard getting back up to speed,when you do go out on the road the instructor will be flanking ,advising and watching every thing you do and constantly be in your ears on the radio,believe me he'll have seen it all before and will have a good Gage if you can manage, when I did mine ,one guy was struggling and he said to him nicely that he would see the next day ,for him (wasn't same day as me for his 2nd module) if he was ready to hit the road. He also had sent a couple away a few weeks earlier for a week as he didn't think they were ready just yet for the road.

Your not supposed to be overly comfortable on a bike 😁didn't anyone tell you. After my first day I questioned if I really liked bikes and would I get any bit good at this 😅

On a slight side note I remember a conversation with a old mate from France years ago , before ibt( early 2000s late 90s maybe ), was introduced and he couldn't get over that we could just get license, buy a bike and go out without any training, he had to do a day handling/ evasive action type course but I don't know if it was compulsory., but got the impression that it was.

• Advertisement

So I will practice on my own in between modules. Same as I did with my car and I was learning to drive. Was I legally able to hop into my car and boot it around the town? Yes. Did I feel comfortable doing so? No. 

But you were supposed to be supervised in the car. Same as on a bike you are supposed to be supervised by an instructor until he's satisfied you are OK to ride on your own.

Do you have a car licence? (You said you were in your 30s so I am presuming yes.) You do realise that if you get caught on a bike with no IBT (and so invalid insurance) a disqualification applies to cars as well as bikes? Your car insurance will get loaded to hell not just your bike insurance. It's just not worth it for the sake of a week or two while waiting for your IBT to be signed off.

How are you getting the bike down to Lidl then, a trailer? or are you riding it on the road?

The idea of a complete novice choosing to go out on the roads at 5:30 in the morning in the middle of winter is.. creative I'll give you that

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

@[Deleted User] , no one is going to agree with you that it’s a good idea to be out on the roads without valid insurance and without completing the IBT, literally no one.

You can try to convince yourself it’s a good idea, but it’s really not.

I thought it was fairly obvious that I didn't care what anyone else thought about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,833 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

Hopefully for you, with that attitude you don’t meet a Garda.

I mentioned in passing that I went out for a spin. It's others who have dragged it out as a topic for the last few comments. I'm obviously happy enough to do it, and think it's the right approach to take before busy roads. I'm very thankful of the people who post here, and are willing to share tips, advice, knowledge, etc. and I am genuinely grateful for anyone who has helped me out at all in any way (especially when I was buying the bike and researching that).

I'm not trying to have a go at anyone, but I've already decided that I'm going to practice what I've learned and no amount of negative commentary will make me change my mind. I'm just waiting for the weather to clear up a bit. That said, it probably doesn't help that my all of my IBT days are three weeks apart. I reckon the more 'intense' instructors that do the IBT three days in a row probably have a better system.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

If you have an accident with no insurance, then everyone else pays . Thanks for that.

Pretty much! why Ireland has such high insurance. We're a high risk country because of uninsured drivers, thefts and all sorts of ****

• Advertisement

Just once more for those that seem to have missed it.

Advertisement