Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

lennymc wrote: »
    Howdy,

Back on bikes last year after a couple of years lay off. Used to race and had a wide range of bikes from 2t race bikes up to superbikes as well as touring and naked bikes. Currently riding an SV 1000 as my commuter. Anyway, just thought I would say hello.

Copeyhagen (user on here) has an SV1000 with (i think) micron exhaust. Great sound out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

have twin art cans on it. Loud and noisy. Had akrapovic on it when I got it but they rattled themselves to pieces. Also has a pc3, gsxr k7 rear shock (i think) braided lines, full fairings, hugger, crash bobbins, scott oiler. Think that's it. The previous owner, idleater, was probably on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

lennymc wrote: »
    have twin art cans on it. Loud and noisy. Had akrapovic on it when I got it but they rattled themselves to pieces. Also has a pc3, gsxr k7 rear shock (i think) braided lines, full fairings, hugger, crash bobbins, scott oiler. Think that's it. The previous owner, idleater, was probably on this forum.

Is this it?

sv.jpg

sv2.jpg

that's the one (although I suspect my track riding days are behind me :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Mmmm all this talk of SVs... Im looking at the SV1000s as maybe my next bike, but im a short arse. Anyone out there about 5f6-ish that has ridden/rides this bike can tell me what its like? Too tall/seating position etc? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I'm only 5ft8 and found the height fine. What i did find pretty awful was bending my neck back to look forward because of my damn short arms.

It was fine for a short trip but anything over an hour and my neck was in bits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

goodlad wrote: »
    I'm only 5ft8 and found the height fine. What i did find pretty awful was bending my neck back to look forward because of my damn short arms.

It was fine for a short trip but anything over an hour and my neck was in bits.

I didnt think the SV had that much of an aggressive seating stance? (for us who have childrens arms anyway :D ) Good to know. Ive seen a few with the handlebars replaced with wider/higher positions so that could be an option. Thanks for the reply.

I had apex clipon risers on mine. They deffo make it a lot more comfortable.
    I only sold the bike recently and bought a vstrom so i still had the fun of a big twin engine but was comfortable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'm on a sv650 (size is very similar if not the same ) and I find it fine but the seating position is sporty. You'd be more comfortable on a naked version which has a more relaxed seating position. You could look at the strom like goodlads, I've sat on his and it's actually lower than mine (with some mods). There are rolls royces less comfortable than his bike.

The difference in the 1000 and 650 seating position is actually fairly different man. I didn't like the 650 at all but loved the 1000. I accepted the neck pain for 3 years because it was simply amazing to drive.

• Advertisement

I'm about 5'9 or 5'10 and i can touch the top of both feet on the ground at the same time. Not sure if there are kits to lower the bike.

The difference in the 1000 and 650 seating position is actually fairly different man. I didn't like the 650 at all but loved the 1000. I accepted the neck pain for 3 years because it was simply amazing to drive.

That armchair on 2 wheels will make up for the 3 years of pain. :D

Lads, I'm looking to build a lean-to in timber off the side of my house
    Ive big double gates around the side where i could even drive a car around into the back garden if i wanted to.

I basically want to put in new sturdy gates and then a timber roof over it the length of the house and can roll some felt onto that. Can bolt to the house if need be.

I'm just trying to work out the cheapest way to do this without it being a piece of crap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Anyone else ever see some of those tossers making 90 degree left turns across buslanes instead of merging in and then turning or is it just me that encounters them?

The worst thing about them is they think they are doing the right thing!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Ive big double gates around the side where i could even drive a car around into the back garden if i wanted to.

I basically want to put in new sturdy gates and then a timber roof over it the length of the house and can roll some felt onto that. Can bolt to the house if need be.

I'm just trying to work out the cheapest way to do this without it being a piece of crap.

First tip to keeping it cheap is to do it yourself;) Working with wood is fairly easy ( measure twice and cut once ) and all that jazz. Have you considered clear perspex roof sheets? I think my local agri store do them for €10 each. They are 2 foot wide by 10 foot long ( I think )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

First tip to keeping it cheap is to do it yourself;) Working with wood is fairly easy ( measure twice and cut once ) and all that jazz. Have you considered clear perspex roof sheets? I think my local agri store do them for €10 each. They are 2 foot wide by 10 foot long ( I think )

if its near a bedroom window you'll have your head melted with perspex - the noise of the rain will drive you mad!

Yeah i looked into both perspex and aluminum roofing but both are extremely noisy when rain hits it.

I'm fine doing some of the work myself. I just don't know what the story is with securing it. I would assume i can put up some timber against the house and bolted into the house somehow and from there some kinda frame attached that the roofing can be nailed to.

There are no windows at all on the side of the house where i want to do this.
    Its deffo not something i can do myself totally as ive no clue wtf im doing.

Stick up a pick of the area you were planning on working with, might help the brainstorming. Is there an opposite wall you could use as support in the structure.

zubair wrote: »
    Stick up a pick of the area you were planning on working with, might help the brainstorming. Is there an opposite wall you could use as support in the structure.

No, the opposite side goes to my garden fence. But that fence is due to be replaced. I replaced all the fencing in the garden apart from this stretch as i was thinking when new fence posts are going in, stronger ones could maybe be put in and the timber roof could be secures onto those posts.

I will bang up some pictures of the area when i get home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

This thread is a great read, (he does a boat also).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056382707

• Advertisement

Yeah i looked into both perspex and aluminum roofing but both are extremely noisy when rain hits it.

I'm fine doing some of the work myself. I just don't know what the story is with securing it. I would assume i can put up some timber against the house and bolted into the house somehow and from there some kinda frame attached that the roofing can be nailed to.

There are no windows at all on the side of the house where i want to do this.
    Its deffo not something i can do myself totally as ive no clue wtf im doing.

Expansion bolts are very strong and will do the job securing the timber to the house. I would also not rule out using express nails but this is probably a no no to tradesmen. Keep in mind the strength of the structure in high winds.

With it being closed off at one end due to my aide gates I would assume its best to also put a gate at the other end also to make it more secure in high winds.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    This thread is a great read, (he does a boat also).

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056382707

That's a great read. Although it kinda confirmed to me that I haven't an ounce of the skills needed to do this myself.

That's a great read. Although it kinda confirmed to me that I haven't an ounce of the skills needed to do this myself.

This is something I knocked together last year. The other thread has some fancy joints cut to measure but its not really needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Could you not put up a small shed? 12x10 from the co op E549

https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Garden/Garden-Storage/Garden-Sheds/Oasis-Garden-Horizon-Shed-With-Free-Lock--Base-HORIZONSHED

If you are putting a lean-to on a house wall you need to make sure you use a good flashing to prevent the water from pooling on the wall where you fixed it.

A shed isnt really an option.

This is the layout currently.

15301685108_f2c0c59e67_c.jpg
    15488339395_cdeaedeffb_c.jpg

I want to replace those gates then put a roof from the house out the width of the side entrance.

The raised flower bed on the right was put in because the ground level of the neighbors garden next door is actually level with the top of the flower bed. When i moved in there was just a much pile there. The concrete ground in my side entrance actually ends where that flowerbed starts.

When getting that awful fence changed the idea was to dig up that flower bed and pour concrete down to make the side wide enough to turn a bike in, but the issue remains of the ground level behind that fence being about 1 and a half foot higher than my ground level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

^^^^
    Two things
    • What are the blue bins for?
    • Whats the cats name?
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 481 ✭✭Faing

Ah, right so. Just looking at the pics, it is a fairly straightforward job. Corrugated Perspex over a 2x2 frame on 4x3 uprights would be the simplest way to do it. Just get someone who knows their stuff to put up your lateral fixing on the wall and flash it in properly otherwise you'll get water ingress. Try and source yourself some tantalised timber for the job as well.

Yeah i could get that slapped up handy enough i guess an it would hopefully be inexpensive. I think perspex will be far too noisy with rain hitting it and i might melt in there during the summer so im thinking about a timber roof with some felt rolled onto it?

I wouldn't mind the fence on the right hand side replaced with a wall. If the fence is taken down and then a wall build up to the height on 1 story then the timber roof running from the top of that wall to the side wall of the house and then a gate also put at the garden side it would enclose it all nicely and be more solid.

Im just wondering if that would spiral costs into mad money. I have no idea what ballpark cost i would be looking at. Anyone an idea?

• Advertisement

Yeah i could get that slapped up handy enough i guess an it would hopefully be inexpensive. I think perspex will be far too noisy with rain hitting it and i might melt in there during the summer so im thinking about a timber roof with some felt rolled onto it?

I wouldn't mind the fence on the right hand side replaced with a wall. If the fence is taken down and then a wall build up to the height on 1 story then the timber roof running from the top of that wall to the side wall of the house and then a gate also put at the garden side it would enclose it all nicely and be more solid.

Im just wondering if that would spiral costs into mad money. I have no idea what ballpark cost i would be looking at. Anyone an idea?

Just to give you a rough idea. Lengths of 2x2 & 4x3 are between €4 & €7 each and these come in 16 foot lengths. Marine sheets of plywood are about €35 each & they are 4x8. Bags of cement are €4 -€5 each. A Tonne bag of sand & gravel mix is normally €50 delivered. I bought a roll of felt recently and it was €35

Advertisement