Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭robbie_63

Yeah I use earplugs every time couldn't go 2 minutes without them now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm I right in thinking I can sorn a bike that I haven't taxed yet?

The rgv probably won't be on the road for a few months. and I've just received the tax book today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,329 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yes, see part B of the RF150

Part B only when making a declaration of non-use of a new/imported vehicle immediately following registration. The period of non-use must commence in the month in which the vehicle is registered. The declaration must be completed and furnished within 21 days of the date the vehicle was registered – this will be checked against the information provided to the National Vehicle and Driver File by the Revenue Commissioners.

Scrap the cap!

I was lucky so.

I bought the bike mid December.

When the tax book hadn't arrived I rang the seller on Monday and he said he forgot to send it so sent it then.

When it arrived today the seller put 1st of Jan for date of sale.

Unclear if the 21 days applies from date of sale (which is what some county council sites I found say) or 21 days from the date Shannon make the change of ownership. Being reasonable it should be the latter...

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭goblin59

21 days from change of ownership. You can't make changes to a vehicle without the logbook being in your name.

Thats my understanding of it anyway from Imports

I'd say yeah that's it .

It's sale date that's on the log book anyway.

And apparently even though the bike was first registered in June 1994, I can change it over to vintage tax on 1st of Jan 2024

Treated myself to a new Helmet from VisorShop, HJC RPHA 70 Artan Carbon

Fit is good compared to previous LS2, its a bit tighter which I prefer as I always thought the LS2 was a little bit too big.

A lot lighter too which helps.

Slowly getting used to the D-Rings, only takes me 5 minutes now to open the bloody thing!

Nice helmet. Almost bought one before.

Nice and comfy.

Opening the D's only takes a second.

You just pull on them the opposite way using the red tag👍

That's what the red tag is for.

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,360 ✭✭✭bladespin

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement

Yeah seems good so far, swapped over my Cardo Freecom the other night but will have to strip it down again over the weekend and try to tape some of the wires away as there isn't as much room inside as the previous LS2 to hide stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,551 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Had a generational moment today or an airheaded moment. I'd assume Ireland changed to kilometres for everything in like the 80/90s or something but no. I'd no idea it was 2005.

Lad commented that it was handy my bike was in kilometres, and I assumed I had already mentioned it was imported at some point so clarified that it was imported but not from the UK but from Japan but he was just going off it's age.

I was a teenager in 2005 and not driving but I must never have even looked at a road sign as I've no memory of miles at all.

ngl i didnt know it was in 2005 that ireland swapped to Kilometers either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

I'm in mph on my 2019 RE, which came in via UK. Doing the sums to convert to kmph keeps the old brain sharp! 😅

My current bike is my first ever km/h one. The wife's car is still on MPH.

They started putting up km distance signs in the late 70s on national routes (although all the old fingerposts were still miles) but the speed limit signs didn't change until 2005. Incredible fuss over nothing made about it at the time.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A user on Motors posted this conversion hack a few years ago. It assumes your speedometer is reading higher than actual speed by some margin. I've used it and compared to GPS speed, it's fairly accurate.

To convert mph to km/h, add 50%. So, 60mph on clock equates to 90km/h actual speed.

To convert km/h to mph, subtract 33.3%. So 120km/h actual speed equates to 80mph on the clock.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Just threw down a deposit for a new bike. Wont have it for 2 months but it will be a nice treat for the summer!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

You can't just post that and not tell us what it is!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 663 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

After much thinking I decided to go for the new Hornet from Honda.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Tidy, well wear

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Used to have one of them 20 years ago. I see it's even more powerful now. You'll love it.

It's aimed at the same market as the old hornet but I don't think you can compare them too much. Other than name recognition I don't know why Honda went with the Hornet name.

Great Honda have this new engine, there was a big gap in the twins for them. You'd a jump between the 500 and 1100 bikes with the underpowered old 750/700 in the middle. I liked those forward tilted 700/750 but they were so underpowered but it wasn't really like for like in anycase.

Rumour is they're doing a retro 750 soon too, compared to the neo retro they've already got. Considering what Royal enfield are doing sales wise it's a mistake to ignore that market.

@Varik yeah that was my thinking, if you look at the other bikes in that segment its a no brainer.

Z650 -> Down about 20ish HP on the hornet

MT-07 -> slightly down on power and has substantially less spec, although prob a better handling bike

GSX-8S -> Hasnt been released yet, down a bit on power but better looking

790 Duke -> Hasnt been released, probably will be more expensive and I already have a KTM (sorta)

So I don't know if anyone heard that Jay Leno had a crash on a bike not too long ago.

He's fine now but he was talking about it in a video today about the different restoration project he's got going on and showed the bike he'd the accident on.

He took a shortcut through a car park and there was a wire across one end he didn't see and hit if neck/head first, the bike had a sidecar to just kept going without him into a building.

Akrapovic exhaust me hole!

If I was a betting man id say they are Scorpion.

An SV1000 is just as good and a lot more affordable!

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

Hi lads..anyone here who experienced previous Ride out meet in Kells? Are there any shops with bike gear etc or just carpark full of bikes? 😉 Cant find any details as I am not on FB. Thanks

Advertisement