Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

1352353354355356358»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,426 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Pitstop for fuel and some food then a clear blast all the way home.

Ill let ye know how the here maps fared later.

so the verdict on here maps.

started off and heard nothing from it after 20min.

Pulled in and took my phone out and when I opened the app it started up again.

So I think what happened is it doesn't work in the background.

Also I lost internet connection.

So I put it in offline mode and also put the phone back in my pocket without locking the screen and it then kept navigating.

When I stopped at garage, I did have to select continue route after using my phone to pay

The good news is when I reached each waypoint it automatically kept navigating to the next one.

It just let's u know you've reached it and carries on.

The bad thing was it led me down roads that were like boreens.

At one point I thought I was going through a farmers yard 🙈

Also 3 times it told me to met carry on straight for a certain amount of km only for me to arrive at a t junction wondering which road to take.

Maybe if I scrutinized the route beforehand and added a few more waypoints to steer it away from some of the boreens it may have worked better and I looks like u can add as many waypoints as u like.

Definitely didnt guide me on the most sensible route.

Maybe with a few tweaks it could be very good.

Just looking there and if I chose car mode it would have given me a very different route so does it think bike wants the narrowest roads possible.?

Post edited by blade1 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

I use RouteYou for route planning. I find it really easy to use — plan in as much detail as you want on the PC with lots of waypoints — not stops — and follow on the app.

The free version is based on OSMand maps, which is pretty decent actually. You have to pay a bit more if you want to use it with Google Maps. I tried Calimoto a couple of years ago. It didn't know the Rose Kennedy bridge existed! I eventually got my money back, though they were quite grumpy about it.

In any case, it had a habit of routing in silly detours because it thought they might be interesting.

Looking at it there.

Plenty of options for planning a route.

Is it only free for a month though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Sygic used to be a great all rounder a few years back. Is it still any use ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

It might not be the apps fault that its stopping it in the background it might be a notification or power saving option on the phone.

Would say give beeline a go, it's more push and motorbike centred than car. Can record routes to be save or played back later and tracks you journeys if it's recording or directing you. Don't know how good the voice direction are as I use the little screen compass thing.

There is a paid sub that is optional but it's mostly for a few odd/fun features not normal gps stuff, like you give it A and B and then tell it you want the journey to be ~30km and it finds a route that's that long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Breezin

I don't think so, unless it's changed since I was on the free plan. I used it for a long while without paying but upgraded so as to be able to use G Maps with it.

Yes I think you are right.

Got a new phone recently and some restrictions were automatically on.

I see. It gives a free month when downloaded but it just reverts to free version when time is up I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

Anyone any suggestions how to get rid of rust from the rear shock? only spotted it yesterday and it's an absolute b##ch getting any type of brush near it.

Doesn't look too bad from photos but can only see it getting worse over time.

Are there any good rust removal gels etc you can rub on with you hands?

Give it a clean down first with warm soapy water. Then brush or spray some rust converter on it. Leave it to work. Clean down with warm soapy water again then dry it down with a hair dryer. Id then touch it up with same paint or you could use a lacquer on a thin brush over the rust spots to prevent it coming back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,195 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I doubt rust converter would do the shock seals any good.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

there’s a bike that I’ve seen every day since November, sitting in the same place in an underground carpark , half covered with a badly ripped tarp

It’s an 85 reg bmw r100rt. Any ideas how one would go about finding out owner or anything like that?

I’d say I needs a LOT of work to get roadworthy but it’s a fine looking machine.

Would anyone know if aftermarket tail tidys are a standard fitting across different makes of motorbikes?

One on Amazon for 30 bucks if I could be sure it'll fit. 🤔

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 117 ✭✭dubal2008

They match to the year and model of the bike not multifit to many bikes

I wonder would it be worth a gamble.

Cutting and drilling it would be no problem if needs be and I want it stubby like the Amazon am one is.

As opposed to one that definitely fits.

The original one has to go

Here is the perfect one for the bike….

https://www.rg-racing.com/browsetype/Tail_Tidies/Yamaha/XSR900_GP/LP0382BK/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭geotrig

Carol Nash ,been Carol Nash these days, looking for a quote to add a bike and we need to send it "for referral" we cant quote if not garaged! No i keep them in my shed or covered side enterance but for insurance i always have said i leave them on my drive to no issues untill now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭WestWicklow1

It's hardly worth the gamble. I got this one for the CRF from Ali Express for 20 quid and it's very, very good quality and complete with an led number plate light.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005006664518169.html

You'll get exactly what you want on Ali if you're willing to wait 2-3 weeks for it.

Thanks for that.

I'm just not keen on that one and for the price it isn't anything more special than ones for ¼ of the price.

looking at Ali there and it pretty much has all the ones that Amazon have.

Big difference in price though.

I'm going for this one.

Delivered for for €40 where as it's on Amazon for about €140 delivered.

spme mark up 🙄

License Plate Holder LED Light Tail Tidy Fender Eliminator Modified Parts
    https://a.aliexpress.com/_EvaPknb

Post edited by blade1 on

So spend over €12k to €13k on a new bike and worry about €130 for a nice tail tidy…..

• Advertisement

€15k.

So that means throw away money needlessly.

It most definitely does 😀, you want the back to be fancy and tbh I've found you've to spend the money for stuff like this to get real solid quality. Is what it is. Plenty of other things to get deals on . But good mounting that works looks decent and lasts is never under a hundred

If I had the time I'd whip one up myself.

Unless you and a few others want to have a whip around for one for me (spending all my money on bike)😁

Advertisement