Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

goodlad wrote: »
    If cracking your visor open stopped your pinlock fogging up then your pinlock isn't installed correctly.

There should be no gap between the pinlock and you visor so any airflow in shouldn't be able to clear it. When mine slowly fogs I can't do anything about it at all. I just have to fully open the visor and deal with the wind in my face.

I think it was actually condensing on the very inside of the visor/pinlock, not 100% though.

I'll try the rotating the pins thing later -- truth be told I haven't touched it since the lad in Crossans installed it for me a few months back.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had my winter gloves on today.
    Heated grips up full. And my bike has handguards.

My fingertips were frozen! The handguards do a grand job deflecting the wind but don't deflect at the bottom very well. I can angle them down a bit more but that also moves the levers

How far is your commute? I was in my leather jacket and a pair of jeans, with summer gloves - it was a bit cold but I was grand... I'm only a 20 min spin through traffic though

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Zascar wrote: »
    How far is your commute? I was in my leather jacket and a pair of jeans, with summer gloves - it was a bit cold but I was grand... I'm only a 20 min spin through traffic though

The faster you go the colder it gets ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Zascar wrote: »

Its only a 36km commute but its all motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

I

I really wish all visors were like my HJC one and they were recessed for the pinlock so there is zero chance of any fogging.

What lid/visor is that?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Low sun. It's a bugger. :mad:

Edit: Better than no sun I suppose. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

BMW assembly in Berlin plant

^^^^
    Ah, but will it start? You'd think they would have started it at the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

BMW assembly in Berlin plant

Hey, that was my bike before!
    I only sent it in for an oil change.
    So that's why it cost so much!!:pac::

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Cheesy music and some cheesy parts to the video (top gun style racing planes) but some impressive moves:

Handguard lights got delivered today. Great price on them. Deffo happy with the quality and they can be angled down which is great.

15357679850_fccfda1b90_c.jpg

15357679650_003bd168ce_c.jpg

^^
    Goodlad, I hate to break it to you but thats a picture of a car on the front of the box :)
    By the way whats the story with the Schuberth? Are you happy with it? Is it over priced? Did you sort out the pinlock fogging up on it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Handguard lights got delivered today. Great price on them. Deffo happy with the quality and they can be angled down which is great.

15357679850_fccfda1b90_c.jpg

15357679650_003bd168ce_c.jpg

How are you gonna hook them bad boys up Gary?

Can you get red for the back of the bike aswell as white for the front?

^^
    Goodlad, I hate to break it to you but thats a picture of a car on the front of the box :)
    By the way whats the story with the Schuberth? Are you happy with it? Is it over priced? Did you sort out the pinlock fogging up on it yet?

Yeah man im extremely happy with the lid. Its very comfortable and quiet.
    Its really nice how the neck roll pulls down fairly low and kinda hugs your neck. pinlock all sorted by rotating the pins. It was only fogging up down the center of the visor so i guess it was slightly bubbled out or there wasnt enough pressure on it.

As for the src system. I use it pretty much every day to listen to music and its great quality. Same goes for phone calls. Ive had a few calls when doing 120kmh+ an its crystal clear. People on the other end don't even realise im on the bike when talking to them.
    Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    How are you gonna hook them bad boys up Gary?

Can you get red for the back of the bike aswell as white for the front?

Haven t seen this exact setup for the back but im sure they are there.
    I was looking at some small truck LED for the back of the bike. There is an absolute wealth of lighting options on superbrightled.com

Don't only look in the bike section though. There isn't much there.
    These light just screw into the hand guards. The light strip can just unscrew on the sides from the mount. So its dead handy to attach and adjust. Here are some pics of them mount on another dudes bike.

14922768594_d40dd0641e_z.jpg

15357883810_6d2823aa6d_z.jpg

How would you go about wiring the white and red up Gary.....into the front and rear light connections?

The handguard lights are being wired into the givi spot lights.
    They have their own switch in my handlebar. So the one switch will turn on all my led lights.

The rear if I get it will just be wired in with the standard backlight so it comes on with the ignition.

Hope your battery is tip top and so is the reg/rec for all the extra draw m8.

Ah sure the led draw feck all.
    Ya can run a set of 55watt halogens on the bike and all my led combined draw less than the halogens would.

• Advertisement

I bought heated grips last year. I was going to fit them today but its tougher than I thought. Simplest thing to do is to wire it to battery but this is lazy and wrong. What im getting confused on it the relay part. The instructions recommend wiring up a relay which I have ( 30 amp 4 way ). I know I wire to the 30 amp connector. I must also wire in a ground wire but I dont know to which connector. What wires get connected to 85, 86 & 87?

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

I bought heated grips last year. I was going to fit them today but its tougher than I thought. Simplest thing to do is to wire it to battery but this is lazy and wrong. What im getting confused on it the relay part. The instructions recommend wiring up a relay which I have ( 30 amp 4 way ). I know I wire to the 30 amp connector. I must also wire in a ground wire but I dont know to which connector. What wires get connected to 85, 86 & 87?

Joe the heated grips are not a bother to install and you are correct putting in the relay as this is the best option.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76175581@N05/15550711182/

The above link shows the circuit very simply with the pin outs from the relay. I would take the switched live off you rear number plate light as it is usually easy to access and no big deal if you botch it up as you can still ride the bike.

Best of Look with it and be over cautious waterproofing your connections as water is a bastard.:D:D

pGasE3

leppla wrote: »
    Joe the heated grips are not a bother to install and you are correct putting in the relay as this is the best option.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76175581@N05/15550711182/

The above link shows the circuit very simply with the pin outs from the relay. I would take the switched live off you rear number plate light as it is usually easy to access and no big deal if you botch it up as you can still ride the bike.

Best of Look with it and be over cautious waterproofing your connections as water is a bastard.:D:D

pGasE3

Thanks Leppla, Thats a diagram I can just about understand.:) These are the grips I have http://www.bykebitz.co.uk/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/d/a/daytona-heated-grips-outpacket.jpg

There is a red and black wire coming from the grips. Im just not sure what they connect to.

I understand the red ( positive ) coming from the battery to 30 on the relay and then the other red coming from 87 to the grips. I understand the ground coming from the battery to 85 but I dont get the 86 connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The relay is just a switch and an electromagnet. When you supply power to 86 it activates the electromagnet, which closes the switch, which then provides power to the grips. So you can control a large current in one circuit using a small current in another. This is exactly how a starter solenoid works, it's just a type of relay.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Ok lads I need to nail this one soon. Ill post a pic below that some of you may comment on to help me understand the layout before I start splicing:o

1. The red wire coming from my grips will connect to 87 on the relay?

2. The black wire coming from my grips will connect to????

3. I will splice into the rear light & connect this to 86 on the relay?

4. I can connect from the neg on the battery straight to 85?

What confuses me is 30 on the relay as I see 30 and 87 doing the same job?

So can you take a look at my pic and tell me where im going wrong

1. The red wire coming from my grips will connect to 87 on the relay? Correct This will supply power directly from your battery to the grips ( but only when 12v is detected on 86)

This connects to ground, Part of the frame of the bike or just run it back to the negative terminal on the battery.

Does your rear light come on automatically with your ignition?
    If so then yes connect this into 86. Then when you turn on your ignition the relay will allow power to the grips via 87. The grips will not work when the ignition is off, which is the idea.

Yes

No they are not.
    Pin 30 is 12v feed into the relay. Pin 30 wants to supply pin 87 ( your grips) with this power. However the relay is open so the power cannot reach pin 87.

Only when 12v is on pin 86 (when your rear light is on) does the relay close and allow power to go to pin 87 (your grips)

leppla wrote: »
    1. The red wire coming from my grips will connect to 87 on the relay? Correct This will supply power directly from your battery to the grips ( but only when 12v is detected on 86)

This connects to ground, Part of the frame of the bike or just run it back to the negative terminal on the battery.

Does your rear light come on automatically with your ignition?
    If so then yes connect this into 86. Then when you turn on your ignition the relay will allow power to the grips via 87. The grips will not work when the ignition is off, which is the idea.

Yes

No they are not.
    Pin 30 is 12v feed into the relay. Pin 30 wants to supply pin 87 ( your grips) with this power. However the relay is open so the power cannot reach pin 87.

Only when 12v is on pin 86 (when your rear light is on) does the relay close and allow power to go to pin 87 (your grips)

In point 2. If I ground it to the frame do I still have to carry out point 4 ( neg on battery to 85 on the relay

In point 2. If I ground it to the frame do I still have to carry out point 4 ( neg on battery to 85 on the relay

Yes the relay also needs to be ground.

Don't forget to put a fuse between the battery and 30. 10 amps should be plenty.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=92631769&postcount=1191

They've put stupid '50' signs in the road on a tight bend at the Red Cow :rolleyes:

Slip road in more ways than one...

325396.JPG

(nice pics on that thread BuzzFish)

Advertisement