Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

leppla wrote: »
    You were wearing the open face lid outside the Law Society on Blackhall Place this morning :cool::cool::cool:.

lol, f*ck sake thank God I wasn't wheeling too ~ people would think I'm a right hooligan :p

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

lol, f*ck sake thank God I wasn't wheeling too ~ people would think I'm a right hooligan :p

HaHa I was in front of you at the lights on an orange tiger!!
    My lid does not stand out as much though . Bike sounded well :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I've never seen you anywhere and I think you are :pac::pac::pac:

HaHa I was in front of you at the lights on an orange tiger!!
    My lid does not stand out as much though . Bike sounded well :D

Ah I remember you. I'd just dropped my daughter to college and was on the way into work. I must take a photo of my full faced lid in case I'm seen in that one too ~ although I prefer the open face.

I was wondering what kind of bike was blocking my way at the lights was in front of me :p

Ah I remember you. I'd just dropped my daughter to college and was on the way into work. I must take a photo of my full faced lid in case I'm seen in that one too ~ although I prefer the open face.

I was wondering what kind of bike was blocking my way at the lights was in front of me :p

If that Beemer was faster you would have been to the lights before me LOL

They are the worst lights to get stuck at on my commute. Sometimes I get confused and think Red is for Go!!!

• Advertisement

If that Beemer was faster you would have been to the lights before me LOL

They are the worst lights to get stuck at on my commute. Sometimes I get confused and think Red is for Go!!!

Tbh I usually take the left, then swing a quick U-turn. They're a pain in the tits to get stuck at.

Tbh I usually take the left, then swing a quick U-turn. They're a pain in the tits to get stuck at.

I used to do that until I hot taken out of it by a lad in a car doing a u turn ( it was not at that junction) but I just limit the amount of you turns I do now and the gardai were not to pleased with the lad that hit me for doing one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

grand soft day. At least my bike will get a wash on the way home!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

aye fierce soft

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

lennymc wrote: »
    grand soft day. At least my bike will get a wash on the way home!

Supposed to be major flooding around the east meath region so take it handy all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Supposed to be major flooding around the east meath region so take it handy all

many moons ago i was heading home on my bandit 6 up at the back of blanchardstown (i think) and came across a flood. It was quite deep - . Couple of cars stuck etc. I hopped off the bike, turned off the engine, pushed it through the other side, started the engine and continued on my merry way. I met another flood up the road, but this one wasn't too deep so I was able to superman through it.

motorbike-superman-o.gif

Anyway, aa have some floods listed on their site - http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Hey guys, I have a some questions as a Newby to Motorbikes and I dont want to be making a whole thread for it.

I want to get A license in 2015 ( New year resolution of some sort I guess ) FAQ was very helpful and I know where to start and initial costs involved of getting Learners Permit and doing I.B.T.
    I always like to get calculator out and plan out before I do something, getting A license is a big deal I need to know how much well my finances have to be.

How much would I expect to pay on Motorbike insurance as a 28 years old male with IBT and LP. ( see nest question )
    I know it depends on the bike, so here comes a second question: What sort of cc bikes I could look at without taking a piss and without paying through the nose? A golden spot if you may and price of that golden spot.
    Does having Car NCB help with Bike insurance at all? Do insurance companies do deals if you got Car insured with them too?
    What would be a good examples of bikes for "new bike drivers"? I know a thing or two about cars, but Bikes are still a very grey area for me. :o

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Hey guys, I have a some questions as a Newby to Motorbikes and I dont want to be making a whole thread for it.

I want to get A license in 2015 ( New year resolution of some sort I guess ) FAQ was very helpful and I know where to start and initial costs involved of getting Learners Permit and doing I.B.T.
    I always like to get calculator out and plan out before I do something, getting A license is a big deal I need to know how much well my finances have to be.

How much would I expect to pay on Motorbike insurance as a 28 years old male with IBT and LP. ( see nest question )
    I know it depends on the bike, so here comes a second question: What sort of cc bikes I could look at without taking a piss and without paying through the nose? A golden spot if you may and price of that golden spot.
    Does having Car NCB help with Bike insurance at all? Do insurance companies do deals if you got Car insured with them too?
    What would be a good examples of bikes for "new bike drivers"? I know a thing or two about cars, but Bikes are still a very grey area for me. :o

Thanks in advance!

I've recently done this (I'm 35), and the outlay was something like:

IBT: ~400-450
    Lid and Gear: ~800 (That's on the high end for starter gear, but I like me back and joints and head)
    Insurance assesment (after a bit of practice): ~100 (I made this back on insurance savings).

As for bike, anything over about 600cc and you start getting into mad money. I ended up gettig quoted about 500 for a fairly boring (in relative terms) 650cc, that was after a ~200e discount for insurance assesment.

Some lads advise to start on a 250, which will really depend on you. I'm a big lad, and a 250 was too small to pull me around properly, and many lads will get bored of having to choke the life out of a bike to get it to pull pretty quickly.

Edit: I /think/ Liberty do 10% if you have another policy with them (that's who I'm with). I'm not sure if Car NCB counts, although they did ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I've recently done this (I'm 35), and the outlay was something like:

IBT: ~400-450
    Lid and Gear: ~800 (That's on the high end for starter gear, but I like me back and joints and head)
    Insurance assesment (after a bit of practice): ~100 (I made this back on insurance savings).

As for bike, anything over about 600cc and you start getting into mad money. I ended up gettig quoted about 500 for a fairly boring (in relative terms) 650cc, that was after a ~200e discount for insurance assesment.

Some lads advise to start on a 250, which will really depend on you. I'm a big lad, and a 250 was too small to pull me around properly, and many lads will get bored of having to choke the life out of a bike to get it to pull pretty quickly.

Edit: I /think/ Liberty do 10% if you have another policy with them (that's who I'm with). I'm not sure if Car NCB counts, although they did ask.

Thanks for this.
    I presume that assesment thing is the same thing that Aviva likes to push on Drivers too? Is it good for all insurance companies or just the one you went with?
    So from what I see, you can actually get 600cc bike on LP and still have a very reasonable insurance. Thats really good to hear.

Thanks for this.
    I presume that assesment thing is the same thing that Aviva likes to push on Drivers too? Is it good for all insurance companies or just the one you went with?
    So from what I see, you can actually get 600cc bike on LP and still have a very reasonable insurance. Thats really good to hear.

You have to go with a specific insurer. I did the liberty one kinda randomly since I had another policy with them, but the savings turned out to be quite good -- I got grade 2, the quotes end up being the same as if I had a full license (i.e. about 30% off). YMMV though.

Gotta say, the first proper dry day that I'm at home in almost 3 weeks, and got a good go out on the new bike. Delighted, it's like a whole new experience. Gonna tip out tomorrow as well and just do a run around. Loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Myself and blu are out for a spin tomorrow. You are welcome to come out with us

goodlad wrote: »
    Myself and blu are out for a spin tomorrow. You are welcome to come out with us

Cheers for the offer! Give us another while before I'm not cornering like a granny, hopefully there'll be a few decent weeks left this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Cheers for the offer! Give us another while before I'm not cornering like a granny, hopefully there'll be a few decent weeks left this year.

Best thing you can do to is go on a spin, they're great for improving and learning. The lads will bring you on good roads and there's no pressure to go fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

So today i learned my exhausts do this.....

15183749394_f8e8d2804f_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Afterburner???? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

On the next spin I'll bring marshmallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

And the fuel gauge goes south!!!

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

LOL

SNAP, mine too :D

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    LOL

Fair cop!.. I've been on the receiving end of a few lectures for wheelies too :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Injury spots on body

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭prunudo

Had a visitor to my sheds the other night, nothing taken just broke the locks trying to get in. Some others weren't so lucky, got a couple of bicycles and stuff from some cars.
    Keep your eyes peeled folks, this lad was brazen as fu@k, went around the whole estate, didn't care if there were cameras or not.
    One point though, he 'borrowed' the milk off somebodies doorstep so if you saw him you could be forgiven for thinking it was the milkman walking around. Needless to say, I've stepped up security.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

pPjc2hV.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

jvan wrote: »
    Had a visitor to my sheds the other night, nothing taken just broke the locks trying to get in. Some others weren't so lucky, got a couple of bicycles and stuff from some cars.
    Keep your eyes peeled folks, this lad was brazen as fu@k, went around the whole estate, didn't care if there were cameras or not.
    One point though, he 'borrowed' the milk off somebodies doorstep so if you saw him you could be forgiven for thinking it was the milkman walking around. Needless to say, I've stepped up security.

What neck of the woods?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭prunudo

What neck of the woods?

I won't say exactly but it was in east wicklow.

Advertisement