Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wasn't there somebody on here recently who was accused of speeding on the naas road but the garda didn't have a speed gun so had no proof but did him for driving without due care (or something along those lines) which only has 2 points.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

chiplad wrote: »
    Got pulled by guards for speeding just now, didn't see a bit of him, traffic core car. He said I was 120 in an 80, I reckon I was doing 100 tops. So fair enough I was speeding but not at 120! I asked him had he a gun to show me my speed and he wouldn't. Saw you with my own two eyes he said. What nonsense! Can I challenge it? What's the likely outcome in court?

They can only do you for speeding with a gun, what he will do you for is careless driving as he cannot prove your speed. If you get the summons in the post or the points and it does say speeding I would challenge it as they have no way of proving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,376 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    They can only do you for speeding with a gun, what he will do you for is careless driving as he cannot prove your speed. If you get the summons in the post or the points and it does say speeding I would challenge it as they have no way of proving it.

So if you go to court you can ask the guard how were you driving carelessly.
    If he gives an honest answer and says speeding.
    Well then, ask him what speed were you doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They can only do you for speeding with a gun

Not true.
    The word of one garda with a measuring device (speedo in a car or bike will do) or two guards with no measuring device is enough to convict.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Got pulled by guards for speeding just now, didn't see a bit of him, traffic core car. He said I was 120 in an 80, I reckon I was doing 100 tops. So fair enough I was speeding but not at 120! I asked him had he a gun to show me my speed and he wouldn't. Saw you with my own two eyes he said. What nonsense! Can I challenge it? What's the likely outcome in court?

Did you admit to speeding?.

Here's the craic with the crafty bastards;

(first off NEVER talk to them anymore than you have to).

If they've no evidence to use against you the cop will ask you "Are you aware you were speeding" (or they'll fire a number at you, ie are you aware you were riding at 120kph?).. SAY NO YOU WEREN'T.

Don't let them bully you into hanging yourself just because they've no evidence against you.. Unless they've proof ADMIT TO NOTHING. They're only asking you are you aware of it because they can't prove it without your admission.

Simple as.. They're not our friends, they're not trying to be our friends so don't engage one in conversation ~ and admit NOTHING.. No radar, no evidence of your speed or you speeding unless you hang yourself by admitting to speeding ~ a "sorry about that" is enough to get you done.. "no I wasn't" ~ you'll get a telling off and be on your way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If they've no evidence to use against you the cop will ask you "Are you aware you were speeding" (or they'll fire a number at you, ie are you aware you were riding at 120kph?).. SAY NO YOU WEREN'T.

I've always found they said "do you know why I pulled you over?". Obviously trying to get me to say Speeding or admit to the refugees I have hidden under the pillion seat... I'm not falling for that one guard... "No idea!"

zubair wrote: »
    I've always found they said "do you know why I pulled you over?". Obviously trying to get me to say Speeding or admit to the refugees I have hidden under the pillion seat... I'm not falling for that one guard... "No idea!"

Yup, same thing. Say sweet f*ck all to 'em. Don't make their job of hanging you easier for them.

Not true.
    The word of one garda with a measuring device (speedo in a car or bike will do) or two guards with no measuring device is enough to convict.

I disagree, one Garda and a speedo in the car would be a hard job to get a conviction. Sure you would nearly get off on the calibration of them cars alone.....

2 Pork chops going against you would have a better chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭danoriordan1402

buddy of mine gave me this link for a guy that is offloading his collection of old bikes, my mate has been up there and the amount of stuff he has is unreal - lots of military stuff also, just throwing it up there if its of interest to anyone - based in Cork

http://www.gunner1949.com/412868199

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ordered a Timing Retard Eliminator for my strom today.
    Really looking forward to having it installed them its off to a Dyno for a custom map! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

buddy of mine gave me this link for a guy that is offloading his collection of old bikes, my mate has been up there and the amount of stuff he has is unreal - lots of military stuff also, just throwing it up there if its of interest to anyone - based in Cork

http://www.gunner1949.com/412868199
    Kwaker Z500 is nice & original, couple of old military Can-Am's & Cagiva's by the looks of it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

I disagree, one Garda and a speedo in the car would be a hard job to get a conviction. Sure you would nearly get off on the calibration of them cars alone.....

2 Pork chops going against you would have a better chance.

A speedometer in a car is useless, it's not a calibrated device, hence they need the speed gun, which is calibrated instrument used to measure speed.

Best practice would dictate that they would show you the speed gun, with the speed on it. In this scenario, it sounds like they didn't have one. If you get a ticket for speeding, you'd have good grounds to fight it, but much of it would boil down to which Judge you get in court.

Alternatively, they could issue a ticket for Driving without Due Care and Attention, and that would rely on them giving evidence on your driving, which could include evidence that their speedo was saying you were going 120, but it would require other evidence as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Looks like motorcycleshop.ie are having 20% off over the weekend - code 'mshop20'.

Any other places doing deals?

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Looks like motorcycleshop.ie are having 20% off over the weekend - code 'mshop20'.

I got that aswell.
    Sportsbikeshop are doing some deals aswell.
    There's €190 off a helmet I have been in 2 minds about getting.

I'm really struggling here not to press the buy now button.

blade1 wrote: »
    I got that aswell.
    Sportsbikeshop are doing some deals aswell.
    There's €190 off a helmet I have been in 2 minds about getting.

I'm really struggling here not to press the buy now button.

What lid you looking at???

What lid you looking at???

Arai x4 mission!
    Down from €631 to €441.
    On closer inspection, they only have xs left so I'm out!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

(first off NEVER talk to them anymore than you have to)

This isn't America so while your advice is well intended you are a little misinformed.

If you are stopped and asked what speed you are doing you can tell him you were walking for all it really matters. None of it can be used in court as evidence unless you are cautioned and the reply is written down. A little more here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/statements_from_suspects.html

Also - the guard may have had a speed gun. There is no legal requirement to be shown or even told the actual speed you were travelling. Further to that, the offence is exceeding the speed limit rather than travelling at X speed. So if a guard says that he was travelling at 80km/h and he was overtaken at speed by another then that could be used as his evidence. It's up to the judge then whether to accept that or not.

If you think you are being codded (and to be honest, it's more trouble than it is worth for a guard to make this shit up) a solicitor would tell you if he thought you had a good chance of fighting it. They are well used to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,064 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I disagree, one Garda and a speedo in the car would be a hard job to get a conviction.

That's entirely up to the judge - but according to the law it is enough to convict.
    Sure you would nearly get off on the calibration of them cars alone....

There's no requirement for the speedo to be calibrated either.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't let them bully you into hanging yourself just because they've no evidence against you.. Unless they've proof ADMIT TO NOTHING. They're only asking you are you aware of it because they can't prove it without your admission.

Simple as.. They're not our friends, they're not trying to be our friends so don't engage one in conversation ~ and admit NOTHING.. No radar, no evidence of your speed or you speeding unless you hang yourself by admitting to speeding ~ a "sorry about that" is enough to get you done.. "no I wasn't" ~ you'll get a telling off and be on your way.

This advice works for murder too :pac:

Vikings wrote: »
    This isn't America so while your advice is well intended you are a little misinformed.

If you are stopped and asked what speed you are doing you can tell him you were walking for all it really matters. None of it can be used in court as evidence unless you are cautioned and the reply is written down. A little more here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/arrests/statements_from_suspects.html

Also - the guard may have had a speed gun. There is no legal requirement to be shown or even told the actual speed you were travelling. Further to that, the offence is exceeding the speed limit rather than travelling at X speed. So if a guard says that he was travelling at 80km/h and he was overtaken at speed by another then that could be used as his evidence. It's up to the judge then whether to accept that or not.

If you think you are being codded (and to be honest, it's more trouble than it is worth for a guard to make this shit up) a solicitor would tell you if he thought you had a good chance of fighting it. They are well used to it!

Well its been good advice which has worked well for me over the last thirty years biking.

The only time I've been caught, and got three points on the license was a few months back when I was clocked with the gun (73 in a 50).

Don't say a word to them is my continued advice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 chiplad

That's exactly how it went!
    Thanks for that, in future it's deny deny deny!

That's exactly how it went!
    Thanks for that, in future it's deny deny deny!

Your story has reminded me of run in I had with a cop a few years ago.
    My tax was out and he got right ratty with me when I told him I would not pay the fine that I would be getting.

I told him I would rather go to court as I have paid my tax but am waiting for it in the post.

So he is fuming as he is writing me out some kind of yellow ticket thing!
    He snaps at me "what's the date?"
    I say "the 3rd of the 7th"

He hands me the ticket and drives off!
    This was on a June weekend,so it was the 3rd of the 6th hahaha.
    I rang the guard station when he was gone and said I've just got a ticket for having no tax next month! What's going on?

So I had to call to the superintendent and he sorted it!

blade1 wrote: »
    Arai x4 mission!
    Down from €631 to €441.
    On closer inspection, they only have xs left so I'm out!

Is that like the one the boys had on in the Long Way Down, the half full face and half moto x jobbie.

Id say they are very noisy for a road bike with all the vents on them....nice looking lid.

Is that like the one the boys had on in the Long Way Down, the half full face and half moto x jobbie.

Id say they are very noisy for a road bike with all the vents on them....nice looking lid.

I'd say that was the X3 that the boys had.
    Yeah, anything like that will be a bit noiser especially the faster you go.

Just want something with a peak for the sun.

Have a few normal full face already.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

gerrowadat wrote: »

Been looking at getting the Kriega US20 tailpack for a while. That takes a nice few quid off!

Anyone use one? I was going to get one instead of using my R25 backpack.

I have the US-10 and the US-20 and I have the waterproof Kriega 25L rucksack. I also have the waistpack.......its the best made stuff you can get for a motorcycle. I would pay twice the price for the stuff its that good. I use the US-10 on my tank with the Kriega adaptor and its brilliant.

Well worth the money, try to get the newer one with the metal clasps as opposed to the plastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

DaveD wrote: »
    Been looking at getting the Kriega US20 tailpack for a while. That takes a nice few quid off!

Anyone use one? I was going to get one instead of using my R25 backpack.

I have the US20 with the metal clasps as well. I have the straps setup for the tail pack but have only used it as a tail pack once or twice. I use the courier straps mostly. It's a great bag and I think it looks pretty good. i have a knox backpack for work that I use mostly so not sure it would replace r25. Good to have though.

zubair wrote: »
    I have the US20 with the metal clasps as well. I have the straps setup for the tail pack but have only used it as a tail pack once or twice. I use the courier straps mostly. It's a great bag and I think it looks pretty good. i have a knox backpack for work that I use mostly so not sure it would replace r25. Good to have though.

You have 120 seconds to get to Naas..... Haha

I love BMW motorcycles, specially the 1200gs. Going to sell the vstorm for one.

• Advertisement

goodlad wrote: »
    I love BMW motorcycles, specially the 1200gs. Going to sell the vstorm for one.

Do I smell something fishy :pac:

Advertisement