Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭BaronVon

jvan wrote: »
    Id say it probably was, it was the Belgium plates that caught my eye, there certainly wasn't any flourescent marking on it.
    Are they buying secondhand bikes from other forces?

No, just use them for evaluation purposes. A tender has just gone out for new bikes, 800cc class, and 1000cc+ class. The higher end bikes are usually adapted for police use. The current FJR's (in the background of the photo) have a better suspension than the stock model, for example.

They had UK police FJR's and BMW's earlier in the year on test too. Obviously Belgium most be the closest country that has police Pans.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

infacteh wrote: »
    No, just use them for evaluation purposes. A tender has just gone out for new bikes, 800cc class, and 1000cc+ class. The higher end bikes are usually adapted for police use. The current FJR's (in the background of the photo) have a better suspension than the stock model, for example.

They had UK police FJR's and BMW's earlier in the year on test too. Obviously Belgium most be the closest country that has police Pans.

What are pans like for dashing in and out of traffic? and can they keep up with high powered cars?

What are pans like for dashing in and out of traffic? and can they keep up with high powered cars?

Don't know, never on one. The Guards had the 1100 Pan, apparently the brakes were shocking on them. But they were supposedly better than the FJR in city traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,287 ✭✭✭sonic85

is bikeworld open tomorrow lads does anyone know?

EDIT: never mind found out theyre closed

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KTR1C wrote: »
    Just registered, missed you guys sooooo much :P

Bet ya didn't even realise (or care) I was gone :(

What happened to your old username?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Lads, whats the craic with importing a bike?

Looking into this at the minute.

http://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-motorbikes/suzuki-gsf-1250-gt-2008-08-/1105929193

The lad is asking 3300 pounds, so roughly 4500 euro.
    Then im looking at ferry cost over and back and vrt.

Its the vrt side of things that confused me a bit. Do i need to do anything while over there with paperwork etc... ?

Is there a logbook equivalent over there that i need?

The exchange rate is a killer

UGH! I underestimated the fecking vrt. Its 330 euro which really kills this possibility

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Spotted this in the car park at work, Can-am Spyder RT. There's a mad-looking trike I can get on board with.

GZN5KUt.jpg
    Was over in Daytona for Bike week a couple of weeks back. Those things were everywhere. Can-ams, harleys, goldwings and hayabusas is all you see!

The can am is grand over there since you can't filter anyway but anywhere else its a pointless yoke. All the disadvantages of a bike and none of the good side!

goodlad wrote: »

http://www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki-motorbikes/suzuki-gsf-1250-gt-2008-08-/1105929193

Its the vrt side of things that confused me a bit. Do i need to do anything while over there with paperwork etc... ?

UGH! I underestimated the fecking vrt. Its 330 euro which really kills this possibility

http://www.magireland.org/information-sheets/buying-abroad-importing/

Sterling Vs Euro rate is a bitch alright.

is gumtree a good site for bike buying? never used it before. Is it like donedeal?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

Such a nice bike. Unfortunately SO the wrong time to be importing!

Only problem is, there is NOTHING in this country!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

How about this one
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-SUZUKI-GSF-1250-SA-L0-BLUE-WHITE-/191543193177?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2c98dd2e59
    Price works out at €3900 + €481 VRT and about €200 for plane, ferry etc. Total, just over €4500 but on the plus side you've got yourself a top quality machine.

Its a terrible shame about the lower fairing and side box colors!

Currently looking at a 2008 bandit 1250, half faired version.
    18,000km, full service history, Color coded back box but no panniers or pannier rails. Lad is looking for 4k
    Im not totally sold on it though. I really would prefer one with a full luggage setup and lower fairings

Link isnt working man. Most likely whatever it is isnt set to public.
    But 06 is old model bandits. 07+ is when they got a revised engine and styling.

The black one i first linked is lovely. The lad would come down to £3300 on it, but that stil lworks out €4500 + vrt + ferry etc..
    Not paying that for one of these bikes tbh, its just the poxy exchange rate ruining it

Link isnt working man. Most likely whatever it is isnt set to public.
    But 06 is old model bandits. 07+ is when they got a revised engine and styling.

The black one i first linked is lovely. The lad would come down to £3300 on it, but that stil lworks out €4500 + vrt + ferry etc..
    Not paying that for one of these bikes tbh, its just the poxy exchange rate ruining it

Goodlad, is http://www.mobile.de/?lang=en an option

http://suchen.mobile.de/motorrad/suzuki.html?isSearchRequest=true&sortOption.sortBy=price.consumerGrossEuro&lang=en&scopeId=MB&makeModelVariant1.makeId=23600&makeModelVariant1.modelDescription=bandit&features=FULL_SERVICE_HISTORY&features=HU_AU_NEU

It'sa 06 Blackbird. 35k, full luggage. Owned by a member of the owners club.

God damn link not working. What's the group called? I will join it

Honda XX Blackbird

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

infacteh wrote: »

Didn't the UK police forces abandon Pans a few years back when there was a rider killed in a high speed weave incident? There was supposedly a high speed stability issue with the 1300s in police spec.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

Didn't the UK police forces abandon Pans a few years back when there was a rider killed in a high speed weave incident? There was supposedly a high speed stability issue with the 1300s in police spec.

Yeah, that's the story. Honda seemed to blame all the extra equipment put on the bike as a causation factor. The 1300 was never quite the bike as the 1100, by all accounts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_ST1300

• Advertisement

Looking for throttle cables for my cb. They are quite steep, around 40 sterling:( Are there any cheaper throttle cables out there? generic/ universal brands?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Looking for throttle cables for my cb. They are quite steep, around 40 sterling:( Are there any cheaper throttle cables out there? generic/ universal brands?

Interested in any replies myself, but what about teflon cables? Seemingly you don't have to oil them, probably mad money, all I know is my teflon frying pan was great for a few months but its fúcked now :D

Its been a while now, but if memory serves me correctly, the chap up by the 5 lamps will make you one, just give him the old one and he'll do the rest. (if memory serves :) , I could be wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can make them handy enough if you buy a kit, they are much cheaper to make than buy.
    https://www.louis.ie/produkte/cables-accessories/345
    Good soldering iron and some decent flux and solder.
    Just measure the old ones and make the new ones the same length and diameter and reuse any fittings that might be specific to the cables.

Any thoughts on these new fangled teflon cables CJ?, i have a feeling they're normal steel cables coated in teflon, just like a normal frying pan is, which degrades over time due to heat, so they perhaps last forever with no oiling cause they don't get hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Any thoughts on these new fangled teflon cables CJ?, i have a feeling they're normal steel cables coated in teflon, just like a normal frying pan is, which degrades over time due to heat, so they perhaps last forever with no oiling cause they don't get hot?
    Teflon cables have an inner sleeve inside the outer spiral cable.
    They do work well and make the cable slip nicely.
    If grit and crap gets inside them they can stick though so its important to keep the rubber sleeves and seals in good order and not let them get perished and fail.

Are they custom CJ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Cienciano wrote: »
    What happened to your old username?

Made redundant :P

Nah, they won't let you use it once you disable it.

Can someone post a couple of pics of my new bike for me ??

Or mod's cam you lift the silly 50 post ban ??

send them to skillmagill@gmail.com ,I'll upload them for you.
    Is it a long story? You still driving agricultural vehicles?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

My '04 Triumph has teflon cables as standard, I bought the bike when it was 2 years old and I've never lubed them.
    Touch wood but I've never had to replace or even adjust a cable either.
    They are the same as a regular cable but there is a teflon layer on the inside of the outer cable, which provides very low friction and less wear on the inner cable.

All Triumphs also come with steel braided brake hoses too :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement

KTR1C wrote: »
    Made redundant :P

Nah, they won't let you use it once you disable it.

Can someone post a couple of pics of my new bike for me ??

Or mod's cam you lift the silly 50 post ban ??

Did you make yourself redundant in a fit of pique? Glad you're back old chap, there's talk of a new ride out, you comin?

On that note, whens the next big one?

Advertisement