Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ordering a new number plate as I got pulled over for the tiny one that's on the bike.
    Although I'm finding mixed info on the minimum legal size plate for a bike.

Anyone have a link with some info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

goodlad wrote: »
    Ordering a new number plate as I got pulled over for the tiny one that's on the bike.
    Although I'm finding mixed info on the minimum legal size plate for a bike.

Anyone have a link with some info?
    240 x135 is legal size.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    240 x135 is legal size.

Got a link?
    Im finding a lot of places making plates saying the legal bike plate is 190 x 152

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭BaronVon

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1992/en/si/0318.html

Section 17: 340mm x 220mm for the square motorbike one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,346 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

170 x 110

The 'square' shaped car/truck plate is 340 x 220 and on a bike you are allowed reduce each dimension by up to half (section 18)

Or if you want the rectangular style, 260 x 55

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

170 x 110

The 'square' shaped car/truck plate is 340 x 220 and on a bike you are allowed reduce each dimension by up to half (section 18)

Nice one for that. Head was melt trying to find the info.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,608 ✭✭✭prunudo

170 x 110

Strange, I just measured 3 different vehicles with square plates and they are 280x200!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Zascar wrote: »
    I've always thought that if you were to do a long trip, encountering bad terrain a Honda 50,70, or 90 would suffice, Now regarding Charlie Boorman and Eusan McGregor, they had a fleet of vehicles behind them, and a lighter bike would have passed by any obstacles they came across. Point being,bigger is not necessarily better

Any secommendations for some short levers?
    I had Titax ones on the zx10r and they were great but a bit expensive.

Any lower cost but still good levers someone can recommend?

• Advertisement

Any secommendations for some short levers?
    I had Titax ones on the zx10r and they were great but a bit expensive.

Any lower cost but still good levers someone can recommend?

nvm, got sorted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

nvm, got sorted.

Whats nvm? Is it a hacksaw?

Kinda. National Vasectomy Month

On topic: got random breath tested on the way home, first time ever in any vehicle in this country in 21 years of driving

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

On topic: got random breath tested on the way home, first time ever in any vehicle in this country in 21 years of driving

Wow, seriously? Dont know how I would take that....how long did it take was the Garda all serious and that. Or was it a brown paper bag and he wanted you to cool his chips

:pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭The_Chap

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Wow, seriously? Dont know how I would take that....how long did it take was the Garda all serious and that. Or was it a brown paper bag and he wanted you to cool his chips

:pac::pac:

Good job they didn't test you after those jd's coupla weeks back ;-)

Took a couple of minutes and the garda was very nice about it

they had one lane coned off with 6-8 guards in it to do tests, and a bike cop waiting on the other side of the road at the last point where a u-turn is possible...

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

The_Chap wrote: »
    Good job they didn't test you after those jd's coupla weeks back ;-)

Medicinal purposes only....had to be done. Cant ride with the shakes anymore, missed a few "meetings" and finding it hard to go back.

Same way we have to ride really fast to stop the bikes overheating!!!!

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Took a couple of minutes and the garda was very nice about it

they had one lane coned off with 6-8 guards in it to do tests, and a bike cop waiting on the other side of the road at the last point where a u-turn is possible...

Where was this? I was suprised at how few guards I saw out today. Had a bike cop pull up beside me in the bus lane on pearse street and give the nod, which only reinforces my "Nobody gives a **** about bus lanes" opinion.

Also saw a lad get hit by a cab on his pushbike, then the cabbie got out and gave him a clatter for good measure. Would have stopped if half the street hadn't already done so. That's a small riot waiting to happen.

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Where was this?

I presume they're finished up by now :) Long Mile Rd outbound. Perfect spot for it and very well organised.

I thought it was a bad crash at first when I saw the blue lights in the distance!

I was in the bus lane on the approach... but it was after 7PM :) other lane was empty anyway. When it's legal to ride in the bus lane I usually will anyway, as it's then the leftmost traffic lane.

Incidentally at the traffic lights with the last opportunity to turn off before joining that road, the car ahead of me in the left-hand straight ahead lane suddenly did a Tron-style turn to the left without going into the left-turn lane. Now I know why!

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

I also got random breath tested on the way home last night on the Tallaght by-pass just before the turn off to Tallaght village.

Garda must need to boost their end of month quotas :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    I also got random breath tested on the way home last night on the Tallaght by-pass just before the turn off to Tallaght village.

Garda must need to boost their end of month quotas :D

On the first? Yeah I'd say so! :P

Bandit0 wrote: »
    On the first? Yeah I'd say so! :P
    Quotas don't carry over until the 5th of each month :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

Mesrine65 wrote: »
    Quotas don't carry over until the 5th of each month :P

Oh I was only taking the piss, there's really quotas to fill by the 5th?!!

Bandit0 wrote: »
    Oh I was only taking the piss, there's really quotas to fill by the 5th?!!
    Piss-taking is perfectly acceptable & indeed encouraged :D;)

According to a man in the know, apparently the 5th of each month is 'let's shaft the civvies day' :pac:

If they actually wanted to catch people, who are they going to get at 7pm on a Friday?

This isn't the 70s when people stopped off at the pub on the way home from work...

It's high visibility policing, people who may have been tempted to take a risk at other times will see it and maybe think again.

The ten pint heroes driving home at 3am aren't going to be caught by random breath testing, if they are caught it's because their driving is obviously impaired.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I was in Auckland last year and went to pick my brother up from the Airport his flight was delayed and I came back about 1pm.
    I was breathtested 3 times in the last 5km, they had buses for the busted people to sit in and wait to be taken away and there was tow trucks lined up to remove the cars that had been seized.
    Thats the right way to do breathtesting IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Lads, I just won an auction on ebay - but the seller says collection only. I really need this part and got it for cheap so I'll have to get a courier or something to collect it. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get something picked up near Bristol and shipped to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Lads, I just won an auction on ebay - but the seller says collection only. I really need this part and got it for cheap so I'll have to get a courier or something to collect it. What is the best/easiest/cheapest way to get something picked up near Bristol and shipped to me?

Parcel Force seem to be quite good. Just used them this morning to collect something in Scotland and ship to an address in NI. They collected 2 hours after I booked and paid for it online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Try scurri.com, they are wexford based and do that sort of thing all the time, organise loads to fill up return courier journeys, it works out better than paying for a dedicated courier but you may have to wait an extra couple of days.
    Got a sofa delivered like that from Scotland that the other half thought was gorgeous very late one night on ebay and became a point of principle when I was silly enough to point out that it was collection only and that she should probably look for something similar closer to home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭The Nutty M

Put up a post on Shiply.com and you will get quotes from couriers doing the journey.

Advertisement