Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

And age. :(

Them old arms get fierce achy on longer trips.

Have I mentioned my back pains in this forum before? :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    In fairness it depends on the riders size as well, if you only a slight lad you will be hammered by winds etc, I am a thick lump on a well planted 210kg tourer I ain't moving in the wind.
    Fair point Wonda-Boy...

I'm 6'2" & 18 stone on an MT-01, take some wind to blow my fat ass over :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

My last bike was a roadster and I commuted on it with lots of motorway miles. When I was buying a new bike one of the requirements was a fairing. Yes it's totally doable but why put up with it if theres a solution.

To add to that I love roadsters and prefer them to faired bikes but it doesn't make sense for me to own one. (Just fitted a double bubble last month :-) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

So can you add fairing to a naked bike a few years later if wanted? Or are they permanently naked?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Dont think there are any naked bikes out there that you can easily throw fairings onto. You would need to change the clocks, lights etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You can fit screens to most nakeds though, Givi do plenty as well as MRA, they do a lot for windblast and insect strike.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

CJhaughey wrote: »
    You can fit screens to most nakeds though, Givi do plenty as well as MRA, they do a lot for windblast and insect strike.

+1 had MRA one on the FZ6 and it was great for windblast, fully adjustable too.

MRA-Naked-Screens09.jpg

Ah great, nice to know you can put an add on if you really want it for an especially long trip

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

Right, looks like I'm keeping the bike for at least another year (Stupid marriage!)
    so I'm gonna get some work done to the cosmetics...
    I've priced up some powder coating etc but I think I'm gonna paint the engine myself.
    just wondering if anyone else has done this, or has any clue whats the best to use... I was thinking of the heat-resistant brushed-on paint?

Bandit0 wrote: »
    Right, looks like I'm keeping the bike for at least another year (Stupid marriage!)
    so I'm gonna get some work done to the cosmetics...
    I've priced up some powder coating etc but I think I'm gonna paint the engine myself.
    just wondering if anyone else has done this, or has any clue whats the best to use... I was thinking of the heat-resistant brushed-on paint?
    Don't brush paint the engine, it will look crap.
    Use VHT spray paint, you can get it in most common colours and it will hold up to engine heat.
    How far are you going with the cosmetics? Frame powdercoat or just bits and pieces?
    If the engine is coming out think about sealing it and getting it soda blasted then paint it.
    Masking and spraying engines in place usually ends up with overspray on other stuff that looks bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

You don't need to paint it.... you just need to clean it!

...And sort that downpipe out!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Don't brush paint the engine, it will look crap.
    Use VHT spray paint, you can get it in most common colours and it will hold up to engine heat.
    How far are you going with the cosmetics? Frame powdercoat or just bits and pieces?
    If the engine is coming out think about sealing it and getting it soda blasted then paint it.
    Masking and spraying engines in place usually ends up with overspray on other stuff that looks bad.

Yeah? Ok I'll look that stuff up.
    don't think I'll bother with a frame spray man - Waaay too much hassle to pull out the engine. Yeah the over-spray is why I was thinking of brushing, but your not the first to tell me not too!
    zubair wrote: »
    You don't need to paint it.... you just need to clean it!

...And sort that downpipe out!

Whole exhaust should be new soon and pricing up a new can.
    But the engine it pitted and in ****e man, defo needs a lick of paint.

Very careful masking and spraying looks to be the way to go so....

Post some pics and you might get some good advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

:( I am at this very moment in time BIKE - LESS. :(

With a very heavy heart I sold the Triumph Sprint today, very sad to see her go.

The hunt begins....;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

That was quite quick... only seen the advert the other day!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

With a very heavy heart I sold the Triumph Sprint today, very sad to see her go.

The hunt begins....;)

Anything in mind?
    Upsizing? Downsizing?

Upsizing or staying the same sizing...lol.

Needed more luggage for touring and looking for a bit more upright TBH, nothing in mind at the minute but 8K will change that very fast....the two I would love are well out of my price range. But I will have fun looking.....

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    That was quite quick... only seen the advert the other day!

Only up 4 days, and I hammered by calls and by fake scam emails ffs :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Robbknoll

Well lads. Been looking around for cable specific lubricant (for my new clutch cable) but have had no joy in places like halfords and my local motorcycle garage. Is there any alternative I can pick up in a motor factors that any of ye would recommend? Cable is for a 99 bandit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Upsizing or staying the same sizing...lol.

Needed more luggage for touring and looking for a bit more upright TBH, nothing in mind at the minute but 8K will change that very fast....the two I would love are well out of my price range. But I will have fun looking.....

Would one of the ones you mention out of your price range be a Tiger Explorer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭kodak

blade1 wrote: »

I reckon a GS.... Secret BMW lover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Yeah? Ok I'll look that stuff up.
    don't think I'll bother with a frame spray man - Waaay too much hassle to pull out the engine. Yeah the over-spray is why I was thinking of brushing, but your not the first to tell me not too!

Whole exhaust should be new soon and pricing up a new can.

If the engine casing is aluminium all you need is sand paper, tube of autosol and a whole lot of elbow grease and you can have it looking like new.

blade1 wrote: »

Yeah I do like the 1200 Explorer tha I test rode in McCallans, giving a little trouble with the heads apparently :eek:

kodak wrote: »
    I reckon a GS.... Secret BMW lover

Would not say no to a 1600 RT TBH....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭unattendedbag

http://youtu.be/kHZHys3Q4e4

Japanese helmet vs Chinese helmet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

The hunt begins....;)

Why the change Wonda,,,, Just fancy something new?

http://youtu.be/kHZHys3Q4e4

Japanese helmet vs Chinese helmet.
    A man in overalls and sandals with a piece of pipe hitting a couple of helmets.
    How in any way, shape or form is that a scientific test of a helmets safety?
    They aren't even the same type of helmet.
    Its not where its made its how its made.
    Some very good helmets being made in China these days.
    Some rubbish as well.

Keeping the noob questions coming,

I don't know if it will be different for me since I am in Netherlands so not sure how it will translate, but in Ireland I had a no claims of 3 years with a car, does this have any impact on insurance for motorbike when getting a quote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

shortys94 wrote: »
    Keeping the noob questions coming,

I don't know if it will be different for me since I am in Netherlands so not sure how it will translate, but in Ireland I had a no claims of 3 years with a car, does this have any impact on insurance for motorbike when getting a quote?

Doesn't count in Ireland anyway.

Advertisement