Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I bet the instructor was bricking it too! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

Well done on sticking with it, small steps and you'll be flying around in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

When we rode to the designated lesson area I was on the back of the bike while he drove there. I gotta say, it's an amazing feeling being on a bike when a guy can handle the bike in such a good way.

Looking forward to more lessons, Im hooked

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Still waiting on parts to be delivered. Last showing was at 23:05 in Koln Germany last Thursday.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Doo dee doot dooo. Not brand new. 2014 R1200GS. If this yoke's for pensioners you may start liquidising my meals now. Ticks my boxes anyway: not an enormous sportsbike, pulls like a train at low revs and comfortable as fook.

zbrfcUe.jpg
    Great all rounder. Had a GS adventure as my only mode of transport for years, savage bike.
    What extras did you get?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Cienciano wrote: »
    Great all rounder. Had a GS adventure as my only mode of transport for years, savage bike.
    What extras did you get?

Top box, the auxiliary spots and engine bars, about 2 grand of factory extras in total. Meant I'd have essentially been paying and extra 5 or 6 just for new rather then a year old with <10k on the clock. Could get another bike for that :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Top box, the auxiliary spots and engine bars, about 2 grand of factory extras in total. Meant I'd have essentially been paying and extra 5 or 6 just for new rather then a year old with <10k on the clock. Could get another bike for that :-)
    Are heated grips standard? I got the ADV because engine bars and spoked wheels were standard, also like the protection the tank gives.
    TBH, wouldn't bother with heated grips now with the milage I do. I had the fog lights too, nice extra, can't have too much lighting.
    Check out touratech and nippy normans websites. Plenty of crap on there, but lots of good bits too. Got a really nice lockable GPS mount from touratech.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Cienciano wrote: »
    Are heated grips standard? I got the ADV because engine bars and spoked wheels were standard, also like the protection the tank gives.
    TBH, wouldn't bother with heated grips now with the milage I do. I had the fog lights too, nice extra, can't have too much lighting.
    Check out touratech and nippy normans websites. Plenty of crap on there, but lots of good bits too. Got a really nice lockable GPS mount from touratech.

Yeah heated grips standard on the GS these days I think. I haven't even looked at bits and bobs to trick it out, too busy massaging my bruised wallet and crying happy tears of financial despair.

Had seen a deal on halfords for a Garmin 590lm satnav for 300 quid all in down from over 600. T
    hought about it for a few days and nabbed one lastnight. An hour later they pulled the deal from the website. Delighted i got one sorted before the deal was gone :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Congrats on the GS!

So how long before an Akrapovic can makes an appearance? :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Skerries Road Races this weekend lads and ladies......practise on fri, racing on sat.

http://www.loughshinnymotorcycleclub.com

Practice races will take place on Friday (3/7/15) with road closures in place from 2pm until 9.30pm, the Main Lusk to Skerries Road (R127) will be closed during these times. Access to Skerries will be via Rush with diversions in place in Lusk. Motorists can also access Skerries via Balbriggan using the M1. Local access will be maintained at all times.

The actual Road Races take place on Saturday (4/7/15) with road closures in place from 9.00am until 6.30pm (See Above).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Wonda,Do the Devils Diciples still have a shindig in the man o'war?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

No idea mate, I dont go in for all that "Black Magic"......lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Wonda,Do the Devils Diciples still have a shindig in the man o'war?
    They usually hold 'The Gathering' in Arklow rugby club in May.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Saw a Suzuki RE5 on the road this morning - pretty rare bike! Rotary engine - the first four-stroke Suzuki made.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Saw a Suzuki RE5 on the road this morning - pretty rare bike! Rotary engine - the first four-stroke Suzuki made.
    Nice. But is it really a four stroke?

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

No 'strokes' but it is Otto cycle :)

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

Lost the waterproof lining for my jacket out of my backpack somewhere between Newry and Dublin on Sat (m1/m50)

So typically get pissed on, on the way into work Monday morning - gah

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Wossack wrote: »
    Lost the waterproof lining for my jacket out of my backpack somewhere between Newry and Dublin on Sat (m1/m50)

So typically get pissed on, on the way into work Monday morning - gah
    Bugger!
    On a related note, I can't understand why manufacturers make jackets with the waterproof lining on the inside of the bloody jacket?, They should make the outside waterproof so the jacket doesn't end up like a sponge full of cold water and you sitting inside the jacket freezing but dry as the water evaporates off.
    I can't figure this out, lots of jackets are the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Bugger!
    On a related note, I can't understand why manufacturers make jackets with the waterproof lining on the inside of the bloody jacket?, They should make the outside waterproof so the jacket doesn't end up like a sponge full of cold water and you sitting inside the jacket freezing but dry as the water evaporates off.

I have a nice Hein Gericke suit that has the waterproof Goretex layer on the outside. Works like a ducks arse :D

Shame I can't wear it anymore because I lost too much weight and its too big. Cost me mad mad money though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

KTR1C wrote: »
    I have a nice Hein Gericke suit that has the waterproof Goretex layer on the outside. Works like a ducks arse :D

Shame I can't wear it anymore because I lost too much weight and its too big. Cost me mad mad money though.

What size are you KTR1C ? Is it one or 2 piece? I take it you're not planning on wearing it again in the future?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

GBX wrote: »
    What size are you KTR1C ? Is it one or 2 piece? I take it you're not planning on wearing it again in the future?

Its a two piece.

HEIN GERICKE PSX-RS GORE-TEX JACKET & TROUSERS

Both size UK44 or EU54

Originally cost me £1300 :eek:, I used it for two years but very infrequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Bugger!

yea unlikely to be able to replace just the lining, so just gonna go the one piece waterproof overall type

internal waterproof layer was a pita alright - all the stuff in your pockets gets a bit damp etc

Just collect my Garmin Zumo 590LM from halfords.

Was a bargain at 300 euro due to a website error :D
    A few people manahed to nab one before they pulled the offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

goodlad wrote: »
    Just collect my Garmin Zumo 590LM from halfords.

Was a bargain at 300 euro due to a website error :D
    A few people manahed to nab one before they pulled the offer.

Surprised they stood by it.
    Must have done so as a goodwill gesture!

What was the price supposed to be?
    Something crazy I presume.

About 650 euro full price. Which is mad money.
    lovely features of this one. Obviously a bike specific one so charges in the cradle, can wear gloves while using it etc...
    Also has bluetooth and music player control of your phone's player and lifetime full European maps

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

goodlad wrote: »
    About 650 euro full price. Which is mad money.
    lovely features of this one. Obviously a bike specific one so charges in the cradle, can wear gloves while using it etc...
    Also has bluetooth and music player control of your phone's player and lifetime full European maps
    You done alright so!
    Trust me to miss out!

A lad had post the link on biker. I pondered over it for 2 days then ordered at 11pm and at 11:45 the deal was gone. They shipped over from the head office in the UK to whatever irish store ya picked at checkout

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

I've always wondered what's the big deal with bike sat nav units, or sat nav in general...
    I mean, google maps is king, and you can get waterproof cases to attach your phone to the bike.

Is there any other reasons to spend €300 on one of them?

• Advertisement

My biggest issue is a absolutely hate not knowing where I am or not knowing how to get somewhere. If I gotta go somewhere and not too sure how to get there I end up just taking the car so I can use my phone with Google maps and cut out the getting lost crap. I'm absolutely awful at finding my way anywhere.

In an effort to use the bike more I previously tried mounting my phone on the bike, linking it to my speakers in the lid but it pissed me off not seeing the route and just hearing it if it was in my pocket and if it was on the bike the poxy screen was too small and I also had to whip off gloves any time I needed to use the phone. Simply... it was a pain in the hoop!

Sat Nav is a single use and it does the job straight forward. Large screen, works with gloves, powers up the moment its docked on the bike as the dock is wired to the battery. And like the phone it can also be hooked up to my lid speakers if i want. It also takes a micro SD card and has a built in music player if i felt like putting tunes on it. Or it can just stream music from my phone into my lid if needed.

Using my phone as a satnav also requires me to get a charging port installed on the bike because batteries in phones these days are ****e and done last long.

So really... Using a phone is just awkward and a sat nav is straight forward and more practical.

Advertisement