Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Bandit0

goodlad wrote: »
    My biggest issue is a absolutely hate not knowing where I am or not knowing how to get somewhere. If I gotta go somewhere and not too sure how to get there I end up just taking the car so I can use my phone with Google maps and cut out the getting lost crap. I'm absolutely awful at finding my way anywhere.

In an effort to use the bike more I previously tried mounting my phone on the bike, linking it to my speakers in the lid but it pissed me off not seeing the route and just hearing it if it was in my pocket and if it was on the bike the poxy screen was too small and I also had to whip off gloves any time I needed to use the phone. Simply... it was a pain in the hoop!

Sat Nav is a single use and it does the job straight forward. Large screen, works with gloves, powers up the moment its docked on the bike as the dock is wired to the battery. And like the phone it can also be hooked up to my lid speakers if i want. It also takes a micro SD card and has a built in music player if i felt like putting tunes on it. Or it can just stream music from my phone into my lid if needed.

Using my phone as a satnav also requires me to get a charging port installed on the bike because batteries in phones these days are ****e and done last long.

So really... Using a phone is just awkward and a sat nav is straight forward and more practical.

That makes alot of sense.
    I'm a cheap bollox tho.. so I put my tablet in the map pouch of my tank bag.

It's big enough to use with gloves and the battery lasts weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Yeah I had thought about the option of using a tablet too.
    I just got to a point where I had a pain in the hoop using other devices as a satnav which always proved awkward and was never straight forward.

For the tablet I needed a tankbag on. For the phone I needed a power socket etc.. Satnav is just no bull****, click it into the powered mount and off ya go.

Seen this Halfords deal and though ****it, I may aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Another thing is internet access, not often but I sometimes run into areas where 3g (or 1g) is crap, especially up near the border. Your gmaps is ****ed then.

I caved and got the bmw navigator V (got a discount on it, which doesn't take off much of the pain) - it's similar to your one goodlad, a rebranded garmin zumo, but with gucci data logging stuff for when you absolutely positively need to know your lean angles and how many gear changes you done. The click wheel on the bars doing nothing would have driven me nuts otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I find that im concentrating on riding so much that I dont take direction in well. Ive been out for a few Sunday spins with the lads here and we often went to summerhill for breakfast but I couldn't find it now without a map.
    Sure on one of the spins on a dark raining night I got lost in Naas and had to head for Dublin to eventually cop where I was only to head back to the midlands:o

Im just back from the UK and I used my phone google maps over there. I would have been lost without it. If im on a spin with the others here I rely on them for directions but If I was to travel on my own or Europe I would defo need a sat nav

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭Wossack

ah lads, sure getting lost on a spin is half the craic!

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    ah lads, sure getting lost on a spin is half the craic!

Not for me. I hate it! I always have to know where i am and exactly how to get to where im going.
    In saying that, that only when out on my own. If out with other people i couldnt give a rats ass if were lost

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Another thing is internet access, not often but I sometimes run into areas where 3g (or 1g) is crap, especially up near the border. Your gmaps is ****ed then.

And now maps doesn't need any internet connection...
    So being cheap has worked out for me again! hahahaha

Yeah you can plot routes and save them offline. Or just steal a fully offline copy of the tomtom or garmin apps to use.

Internet connection was never an issue for me with using the phone because i know the offline options. But yeah... stuff i said above.

goodlad wrote: »
    Yeah you can plot routes and save them offline. Or just steal a fully offline copy of the tomtom or garmin apps to use.

Internet connection was never an issue for me with using the phone because i know the offline options. But yeah... stuff i said above.

Yeah, I'd say one day I'll cave and pick something like that up, especially on the continent, cause using data is an absolute no no when abroad!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thats a savage deal, is it over? I would have bought it if possible. I'm the same as you, I hate not knowing where I'm going. Useless at directions. Bike satnav is something I deffo want to invest in - especially for overseas trips. My mate had one when we went to france and my god it would have been a serious pain without it. Just makes things so much easier.

The only thing I'll say is that you can get Here maps from Nokia for Android and web: www.here.com - works just like google maps, in some ways its better - but you can download them for offline use. Works great. Still I'd prefer the proper thing designed for a motorbike

• Advertisement

Yeah its over man. Wasn't a deal really just a website mistake from what I'm told.

Yeah there are loads of options for offline maps to use on your phone. I just find it a pain in the ass. Grand to just look at for a minute to find something nearby but I couldn't use it to follow a route on.

Getting the satnav hooked up on Thursday. Just need to get some proper connectors soldered onto the wires so it attaches to the battery handier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

WTF, just rang a dealers in Drogheda to price a set of tyres, and found out they charge €50 for fitting. I said your having a GIRAFFE!!!

He said that does incld balancing......PMSL

#dreamers

haha! They cant be serious. Thats bonkers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    WTF, just rang a dealers in Drogheda to price a set of tyres, and found out they charge €50 for fitting. I said your having a GIRAFFE!!!

He said that does incld balancing......PMSL

#dreamers

I know of places in Dublin that are €20 a tyre for fitting if the wheel has to be removed by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭prunudo

Must be following the Ryanair school of business.
    Make the tyre cheap but charge extra for fitting, valve, balancing and disposal of old tyre.

jvan wrote: »
    Must be following the Ryanair school of business.
    Make the tyre cheap but charge extra for fitting, valve, balancing and disposal of old tyre.

And dont forget the weights, 18K gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And dont forget the weights, 18K gold.

That's why I got my last set off Oponeo.
    Brought them to a car tyre place and he changed both for a tenner.
    Had to balance them myself at home but yer man gave me a load of weights.

Will check out prices now, they free delivery? Tyre delivery can be pricey......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Will check out prices now, they free delivery? Tyre delivery can be pricey......

Also try Pneus.
    I usually juggle between the 2 of them while checking out Irish websites at the same time.
    No problem buying Irish, if near enough price wise, but the last set set of tyres I bought were over €50 cheaper with Oponeo than the next cheapest I could find at the time.

Oh, and yes, free delivery.

My local place will price match online retailer for me usually for Tyres.
    In fact, he has started to price match a lot of stuff lately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have found Oponeo to be the cheapest by a long way, Eiretyres have a slightly better selection and Tyres-pneus are always a lot more expensive than either the German or Polish shops.
    Last time I got a set of Mitas E07 delivered for less than 100 euro, fitted them myself and was delighted with the saving.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Grabbed from reddit. This could have ended badly

http://gfycat.com/PaltryMedicalHoneybee

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭Pique

Grabbed from reddit. This could have ended badly

http://gfycat.com/PaltryMedicalHoneybee

Lucky no little kid came out of one of those gateways! That tw@ should be reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Dick heads like that piss me off. Definitely should be reported

aaakev wrote: »
    Definitely should be reported

If with that footage **** all be done....TBH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

I love the way he indicates left onto the pavement!!
    Must make him feel like its legal to do so.

honda boi wrote: »
    I love the way he indicates left onto the pavement!!
    Must make him feel like its legal to do so.

Haha He's got a very twisted idea of the rules it seems!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭honda boi

Father picked me up this cam for €25 the other day.
    Finally got it attached to the helmet..with cable ties:p
    first time editing/trimming a vid,turned out good
    Nothing happens in the video,just think its quite good the quality for €25
    Edit: turn your volume way down when you watch it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Nothing happens...:eek:..are u fcuking kidding me.....a cyclist actually using the cycle lane.....

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭liamnojo92

Advertisement