Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Next on the list wonda, You'd need three or four days to do it though, its a bit of a drive down from Dublin.
    How are you doing it? Plans etc

Back roads all the way, I reckon with food stops (I loikes me grub) etc it will be a nice 6-7 hrs going down. Winging it really....2-3 days Ring of Kerry and up to Lahinch for a gander.

Hope I get the weather.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Yeah, now imagine doing it (portrush) at 5 in the morning pissing rain non stop for the whole trip....this year was the only year that it was dry going the road races up there. Miserable is not the word.

I've done plenty of touring in non stop rain, it's poxy alright!
    But if you're up there and it's decent weather, go to that place in Ballycastle for fish and chips. Would almost drive up there for some!

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You'd only notice a difference with 97 if the engine was knocking under heavy load on 95.

I don't know of any standard road bike not designed to run on 95. Some petrol includes a fair bit of ethanol though and different engines react to that in different ways, if your bike didn't like a 95 with ethanol then a 97 with less/no ethanol might run better

No idea why you would notice more backfiring, unless you were going repeatedly between full open and full closed throttle because of the road, maybe? A lot of bikes including mine will backfire if provoked, nothing to worry about. I don't see how fuel octane could have any connection to it, and if you have unburnt fuel when on a steady throttle then something is wrong!

Higher octane fuel just means more resistance to detonation is all, it does NOT give more power or better running unless the engine is knocking on the lower octane fuel. More myths about octane than anything else to do with motoring.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Seem to have lost one of my bar end weights on the road at some point. Anybody recommend somewhere to pick up replacements? Would they have them in most bike shops? Cheaper on t'internet? I'm guessing that they're a generic fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Stiletto72

Seem to have lost one of my bar end weights on the road at some point. Anybody recommend somewhere to pick up replacements? Would they have them in most bike shops? Cheaper on t'internet? I'm guessing that they're a generic fit?

Most bike shops will stock them. Bikeworld, Cotters etc. You could probably get model specific ones off the net easily enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Anyone heading over to the NEC show this year?
    Been meaning to go every year but was flat broke so didnt bother.

Should have a few quid this year. Probs gonna go on Wednesday 2nd December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

goodlad wrote: »

I wouldn't mind shooting over if there's a gang going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

apparently free in if you show an irish passport at the ticket desk

http://www.biker.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=224763

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I have my tickets booked - €20 return with Ryanaer .. free in. Cant go wrong. Few quid for food and drink and cheap day out.

Since it's all week, is there a particularly good or bad day to be going?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Weekends do be packed ... less chance of getting a proper nose around some bikes. Midweek is better if you can

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Picked up my first helmet last night... Shark Vision-R. Very happy with it :)

shark_vision-r_cisor_black-yellow.jpg

Nice lid (my first lid was a Shark) but that double-curvature visor probably means you can't put a Pinlock on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Nice lid (my first lid was a Shark) but that double-curvature visor probably means you can't put a Pinlock on it.

You can deffo get a pinlock for a vision-R

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Only issue so far is that the sun-visor fogs up like a bitch. Any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Wossack

my speed-r came with a pinlock, might be the vision-r does the same?

if not, could look into getting one

Only issue so far is that the sun-visor fogs up like a bitch. Any tips?

Throw some anti-fog solution on it, make sure the nose/chin vent is open, and maybe crack the visor one notch open to get some ventilation in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

goodlad wrote: »

Just booked for the Monday. Less than 20 quid return with Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭blade1

When does this start lads?
    I'm in England 28th - 30th Nov.
    I'll be in Liverpool though.
    Would it be worth my while trying to get to this from Liverpool?

blade1 wrote: »
    When does this start lads?
    I'm in England 28th - 30th Nov.
    I'll be in Liverpool though.
    Would it be worth my while trying to get to this from Liverpool?

If you book train tickets in advance, they can work out cheap enough. But it would probably be cheaper to come home and fly over to it.

• Advertisement

If you book train tickets in advance, they can work out cheap enough. But it would probably be cheaper to come home and fly over to it.

Ok something to think about anyway.
    My flights to Liverpool that weekend cost €102.
    €20 return for the show is unreal!
    Not sure what to do yet.

Bike buyers guide mag have a free orange hi-vis this month, and it's actually not bad quality as well, proper zip and such. Consider it a free hi-vis with a mag, or a free mag with a hi-vis, depending :-)

gerrowadat wrote: »
    Bike buyers guide mag have a free orange hi-vis this month, and it's actually not bad quality as well, proper zip and such. Consider it a free hi-vis with a mag, or a free mag with a hi-vis, depending :-)

I've bought it the last two years, didn't bother reading the mag though it's sh1te :p

Went for a 99 with a flake today, out west to Kinvara the back ways (enfield, tullamore, banagher, loughrea). Just shy of 400km. Some day for it.

http://imgur.com/OrARcTS

• Registered Users Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

gerrup outa tha! A 99 is an ice-cream with a flake in it, by definition. Just sayin :)

gerrup outa tha! A 99 is an ice-cream with a flake in it, by definition. Just sayin :)

Maybe he put another one in it! Mad bastard!!:eek:

Just got an email from Ryanair, seems they're running the €9.99 flight offer again this weekend. Checked their site and it's still possible to do Birmingham for the bike show @ €19.98 return.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Been going to the NEC Birmingham for the last 3 yrs great craic, the free in business depends on the grumpy ****er you get at the ticket desks. Did not work for me last year and did not know about it year before. But I will be getting in free this year even if I have to Tom Cruise it Mission Impo styleeeee.

As for best time to ge is deffo midweek, and if you buying the last day is for the bargains.....

Is it possible to pick up a bargain even with the exchange rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Ya dont get the free ticket at the ticket desk. You need to go to the press office desk and show your passport and plane ticket. They give you a free ticket.

Advertisement