Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I already have a set of jaws risers on and its not enough. I need them to come up more.

Had looked at the straight bar conversion but I really don't like the look of it.

I previously used Apex risers on a bike so thinking of using them on the blackbird too. They rise uptp 4 inches and you can also rotate the bars into 9 different positions to change the angle on them.

They are expensive though and then new lines are very expensive too so not sure exactly what to do yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

goodlad wrote: »
    I already have a set of jaws risers on and its not enough. I need them to come up more.

a-funny-T-Rex-toilet-paper-picture.jpg

Thats it exactly man!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Raising the bars a bit on the blackbird but may need extended lines if I do.

Any recommendations of where to price up some braided lines? Hel are out of the question due to the price of them.

Goodridge are popular too

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭carl456

Had looked at the straight bar conversion but I really don't like the look of it.

I previously used Apex risers on a bike so thinking of using them on the blackbird too. They rise uptp 4 inches and you can also rotate the bars into 9 different positions to change the angle on them.

They are expensive though and then new lines are very expensive too so not sure exactly what to do yet.

Ah ok, have the same problem myself, wouldn't mind some extra bar height. Do you have a link to the apex risers?

Carl

• Advertisement

carl456 wrote: »
    Ah ok, have the same problem myself, wouldn't mind some extra bar height. Do you have a link to the apex risers?

Carl

http://www.apexmfg.com/all-products/apex-clip-ons/apex-4-riser-clip-on-set

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

bikebitsni.com will do custom Hel ones if you change your mind re the price

Wossack wrote: »
    bikebitsni.com will do custom Hel ones if you change your mind re the price

Will keep it in mind man. But their lines for the blackbird are €422 and a clutch line is €42. And that's for standard length, I need an extra 4 inches on the lines.

Gonna call around some bike shops tomorrow and see if they will make some up for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

bloody heck.. werent kidding!

you mention its a linked system, so loads of lines - could you look at getting just the lines running to the handlebars replaced? Leaving all the others stock

Yeah that's an option I have been looking at. Just need to get the measurements of that one line and cant see any reason it wouldn't be ok to do.

From what I know the linked system has 9 or 10 lines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭millingmachine

Gonna call around some bike shops tomorrow and see if they will make some up for me.
    Give Pento in RPM a call, he'll make anything you need.

Thanks, they look good. Just wonder though if the extra height will cause the switchgear/throttle cables on the right bar to hit the screen when on full lock.

carl456 wrote: »
    Thanks, they look good. Just wonder though if the extra height will cause the switchgear/throttle cables on the right bar to hit the screen when on full lock.

I was actually looking at that earlier and it will make my reservoirs hit my screen if i come up more than another inch so thats my plan fúcked.

Have Jaws risers on already so gonna look at getting some 1 inch higher clipons to use along with the jaws risers.

I was actually looking at that earlier and it will make my reservoirs hit my screen if i come up more than another inch so thats my plan fúcked.

Have Jaws risers on already so gonna look at getting some 1 inch higher clipons to use along with the jaws risers.

Some of the v tech vfr clipons fit, cant remember exactly which years but they raise it up about an inch I think. Hard to find though, seem to get swiped up for that reason.

Yeah the vfr clip ons are about 1 inch higher.
    Same extra height as the jaws risers.

So at this stage I'm gonna look for a set of them to use with my jaws risers and get 2 inches higher.

Good idea. Should make a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Will ring around later and see what i can find.
    But the bird has linked breaks that need an shed load of break lines

Good opportunity to plumb all that linked brakes crap out.

Scrap the cap!

Ive been considering delinking the breaks. Jaws do a delink kit for the bike.
    Would also make getting new longer braided lines a hell of a lot cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Would also make getting new longer braided lines a hell of a lot cheaper.

Pun intended ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Surely the CBS (Combined Braking System) is alot better then standard breaks....would not be too quick to lower the braking system to save money TBH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Surely the CBS (Combined Braking System) is alot better then standard breaks....would not be too quick to lower the braking system to save money TBH.

I've heard of people de-linking them as they didn't like the dual system.
    Personally,I had them on a CBR1000F and thought they were fantastic!

Find it great on the blackbird, nice and stable, especially with full luggage and a pillion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I first had them on a VFR, now on the Blackbird and they're great, especially as carl456 says, with luggage and a pillion. If I was doing a lot of track days, I might think about de-linking, bet not for ordinary road riding.

Fact is lads. I need the birds bars raised or I need to change bike.
    One or the other needs to happen.

Changing bikes would be a ****ing sin since the bike is fully sorted but new exhausts, screen, chain, sprockets etc.... New everything!

From doing a lot of research and measuring on the bike its looking like the best option is convertibars. They come back and go up but i will need longer lines.

The full kit from convertibars is about 520 dollars and then shipping and no doubt import tax. That a **** load of money to spend to just the clipons up and back.

Straight bar conversion only comes back and not up and also only gives a 1mm clearence on either side before it hits the screen.

I know how you feel, is your back or wrists that get sore? I found the jaws risers good but more height would make longer journeys nicer. But like you say when you add up all the costs of the like of convertibars you'd almost feel better off putting that money towards a fjr, gtr1400 etc. Bloody great bike otherwise though.

One thing I did notice was my back and wrist discomfort went completely when in France, I think because of the smoother surfaces, the Irish roads aren't as smooth and the shock seems to go straight to your wrists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Fact is lads. I need the birds bars raised or I need to change bike.
    One or the other needs to happen.

Changing bikes would be a ****ing sin since the bike is fully sorted but new exhausts, screen, chain, sprockets etc.... New everything!

From doing a lot of research and measuring on the bike its looking like the best option is convertibars. They come back and go up but i will need longer lines.

The full kit from convertibars is about 520 dollars and then shipping and no doubt import tax. That a **** load of money to spend to just the clipons up and back.

Straight bar conversion only comes back and not up and also only gives a 1mm clearence on either side before it hits the screen.

What ever needs to be done, no point having a bike that is not giving you pleasure when out and about. Biking is meant to be enjoyable not a chore to ride whatever it is you own.

Its a small comfort knowing my bike is safe with my trained Rabbit security keeping an eye on it.

20734071641_512cb1156e_b.jpg

Tuning, who do ye recommend?
    I know of John O'Grady.
    Anyone else or even someone closer to me, Cork Waterford area?

blade1 wrote: »
    Tuning, who do ye recommend?
    I know of John O'Grady.
    Anyone else or even someone closer to me, Cork Waterford area?

You have a power commander in the bike?
    I would Deffo recommend dlm racing

• Advertisement

You have a power commander in the bike?
    I would Deffo recommend dlm racing

Not yet.
    But I guess I'll need one.
    I'm removing the secondary butterflies and adding cans to the ZZR.

Advertisement