Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Unlucky Jimmy. Report it to the Garda regardless of the outcome. Hope your not too shook up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

GBX wrote: »
    Unlucky Jimmy. Report it to the Garda regardless of the outcome. Hope your not too shook up.

Is that just to get it on record?

Also does it screw up my insurance in future if this goes through his insurance company? When I go to renew and they ask "any accidents, regardless of whose fault it was?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Is that just to get it on record?

Also does it screw up my insurance in future if this goes through his insurance company? When I go to renew and they ask "any accidents, regardless of whose fault it was?"

Yes to have it on record.

It shouldnt have any bearing on your insurance if its deemed his fault and his insurance pays out for any damage. I had an incident where my bike was knocked over by my job's work vehicle - I claimed from them but notified my insurance company (Adelaide) anyway, just so they had it on file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Contact your insurance company and let them know.

Assuming all goes as planned when asked in the future about past claims you should inform them that you have claim and the other driver was at fault. Your insurance company will have a record of the claim but it won't go against your NCB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I frequent this forum but never post, so here'e my first

Hero or villain in his pillions eyes?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=38&v=meaQucgQl2U

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I was looking at that video yesterday and I understand the lane to his left may well be the overtaking lane but the road is sloped to his right and visibly is covered in pools of water.

If that was me i would of been in the lane to his left away from the pools.

Now for all i know there was traffic in that lane which is why he wasnt in it, and if thats the case then there was feck all else he could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Didn't see the full video until now, saw a clip yesterday. Looked to be too fast (but I'd say that of course, haha). And your one needs to find a lid that fits and to do it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Ditto I only seen a GIF of it yesterday. Hard to get the full picture besides what we are already seeing. Could have been crappy tyres, something on the road, etc. Drive accordingly would be my advice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

That's some amount of water on the road tyres likely lost contact due to aquaplaning - not much you can do but slower the better. Very lucky no oncoming traffic but that lid almost came off with very little impact - must have been a bucket on her head!

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

God I haven't posted here in a long long time.

Question for the commuters;

How far do ye have to go?

Long story short my head and heart are fighting it out. Just got an extortionate quote for car insurance and considering going back to two wheels, but I was always a fair weather biker. At the minute I have an 80-90 mile trip to work and back, mostly motorway/dual carriageway.

• Advertisement

When my commute was motorway I just drove the white line the entire way up the middle of all the traffic.

It helped that my vstrom looked like a space ship in car mirrors and sounded like thunder.

goodlad wrote: »
    When my commute was motorway I just drove the white line the entire way up the middle of all the traffic.

It helped that my vstrom looked like a space ship in car mirrors and sounded like thunder.

Maybe I should clarify, my commute is from Nenagh to Shannon, and at the minute it's shift work, so I could be on the road anytime between 4am and 1am...so not a whole lot of filtering needed. :p

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Maybe I should clarify, my commute is from Nenagh to Shannon, and at the minute it's shift work, so I could be on the road anytime between 4am and 1am...so not a whole lot of filtering needed. :p

Get an R1 and enjoy the 11 minute commute :eek::D

I do 40km each way, about half and half city and dualler. The car's been gathering dust the last month or so, no comparison, gives me back an extra hour in my day on bad days trafficwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Hello Kev ... I have a 75 miles round trip 5 days a week. Motorway and N4. Recently bought rain gear so rain is not an issue. I'm getting rid of the car soon and will use the bike every day except for snow or ice days. My heart wants a vfr 800 but to be honest I reckon I'll go for a nc750x. Near 80mpg out of them.

goodlad wrote: »
    Get an R1 and enjoy the 11 minute commute :eek::D

Haha, yeah, cause recently I've been staring at my licence while wallowing in misery that I only have 4 points. :P

gerrowadat wrote: »
    I do 40km each way, about half and half city and dualler. The car's been gathering dust the last month or so, no comparison, gives me back an extra hour in my day on bad days trafficwise.

If I was doing any bit of city driving at all I'm pretty sure I'd have arrived home on a bike today, but it'd literally save me less than two minutes one way, once a week.

I encounter feck all traffic, I'm just mad to get back on a bike and not at all keen to fork out €1,700 for car insurance. I checked it out earlier, a 2011 CRB600RR (wanted one for years and years, and fell in love with one I saw today) would be less than €800 to insure. Seriously seriously tempted.

And sorry to hijack the thread, but I really didn't want to start yet another advice thread. I'll know by the end of next week if I'll be staying in this job or moving to a different company, then it's decision time.

I recently mounted my camera on the side of my helmet using 3m dual lock stuff. Very impressed with it. On the motorway today I felt a tug on the helmet. The camera fell off. Thankfully I had it tethered using fishing line. It's my own laziness that caused it to fall off. I hadn't checked if it was secure for a few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I must actually get some quality fishing line myself, just in case the GoPro comes free.

Mind you, the one on the front of the bike is as secure as I can make it. I am going to mount a rear facing camera next.

Not sure if I will go so far as to have a helmet mounted one yet, but if I do, I might stick my GoPro4 Session there. Or else, buy a new slimline camera for the helmet. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Hello Kev ... I have a 75 miles round trip 5 days a week. Motorway and N4. Recently bought rain gear so rain is not an issue. I'm getting rid of the car soon and will use the bike every day except for snow or ice days. My heart wants a vfr 800 but to be honest I reckon I'll go for a nc750x. Near 80mpg out of them.
    Hard to beat the practicality of the NC-750X like a modern version of a Deauville but chain drive. Would you get the DCT version? supposed to be great in traffic.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Hard to beat the practicality of the NC-750X like a modern version of a Deauville but chain drive. Would you get the DCT version? supposed to be great in traffic.

It's a tough oneconomic cj. I joined up an owners forum and the vast majority say the dct version is the best hands down. All depends on price really. There are very little for sale here so I might need to pop to the UK. Brutal exchange rate is a killer. They are €8700 and €9500 for the dct version new. But that doesn't include carriage or assembly charges. Anyone know how mush these charges end up at?

• Advertisement

It's a tough oneconomic cj. I joined up an owners forum and the vast majority say the dct version is the best hands down. All depends on price really. There are very little for sale here so I might need to pop to the UK. Brutal exchange rate is a killer. They are €8700 and €9500 for the dct version new. But that doesn't include carriage or assembly charges. Anyone know how mush these charges end up at?
    I hear you on the exchange rate, looking at Honda cars myself
    Try a Honda dealer in NI?
    Allens have a 700x for 5200GBP
    http://www.belfasthonda.com/used/KFZ6647

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I hear you on the exchange rate, looking at Honda cars myself
    Try a Honda dealer in NI?
    Allens have a 700x for 5200GBP
    http://www.belfasthonda.com/used/KFZ6647

Lol I spotted that one this evening. It will be the new year if I do change anyway. No major rush.

Girlfriend (who doesn't want me to get a bike) did some digging last night while I was cooking dinner. The first quote she got me for the car was €1,200. The second one was €800. I'm actually a little disappointed, I really wanted that bike. Next year...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Really depends on the bike, seems like she is trying to sabotage your dreams!!! Lol

Nothing like the threat of getting a bike to suddenly make herself an expert at saving and shopping around huh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

you need a new girlfriend!! :)

Im commuting half motorway and half traffic, about 100 kms per day. Riding at the speed limits and using sensible acceleration Im getting nearly 60mpg out of the hayabusa!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

lennymc wrote: »
    Riding at the speed limits and using sensible acceleration Im getting nearly 60mpg out of the hayabusa!!!

A Hayabusa, riding the speed limit and "sensible acceleration"?? :eek: I don't believe it. :D

Finding the importing form the UK route a head melter. Can someone in the know have a stab at this http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bikes-for-sale/honda/nc750x/3239617/ It works out at about €8200

What would the VRT be and whats the situation with VAT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭KTR1C

Off to look at a bike now ........

She's a 24 speed , hope it's not too much for me :pac:

• Advertisement

VRT on bikes is €2/cc up to 350cc and the €1/cc over that.
    so €745, There is a sliding scale based on age of bike but as that one has 0 miles it will probably be classed as new or 0% discount.
    VAT if paid in the first country doesn't have to be paid here.
    One more thing make sure you get the certificate of conformity if you buy it to simplify the registration here.

Advertisement