Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

CJhaughey wrote: »
    VRT on bikes is €2/cc up to 350cc and the €1/cc over that.
    so €745, There is a sliding scale based on age of bike but as that one has 0 miles it will probably be classed as new or 0% discount.
    VAT if paid in the first country doesn't have to be paid here.
    One more thing make sure you get the certificate of conformity if you buy it to simplify the registration here.

Thanks CJ, I was just using that one as an example. Seems to be too much hassle for the savings. Ill keep browsing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Thanks CJ, I was just using that one as an example. Seems to be too much hassle for the savings. Ill keep browsing
    The exchange rate has killed it for importing.
    Only thing is there is a lot more choice from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

100% on the VAT thing there CJ? my belief was that you always had to pay VAT here, and you could try to reclaim any VAT paid previously from the export country (link below)

if from the UK, it would be best to buy for immediate export - in which case they dont charge you UK VAT.. saving you some paperwork/headaches

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-and-vrt-on-motor-vehicles.html#section29

Wossack wrote: »
    100% on the VAT thing there CJ? my belief was that you always had to pay VAT here, and you could try to reclaim any VAT paid previously from the export country (link below)

if from the UK, it would be best to buy for immediate export - in which case they dont charge you UK VAT.. saving you some paperwork/headaches

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/leaflets/vat-and-vrt-on-motor-vehicles.html#section29
    Yeah, you are right, as that is a new vehicle it would come in ex vat and vat would be paid here at 23%? of the selling price converted into euro.
    So it needs to be over 6k km and over 6 mths old.
    This can be problematic as the HMRC may not like the dealer selling ex-vat.
    Having to pay it then reclaim it from HMRC could be an exercise in patience.
    Then paying 23% here is another kick in the stones instead of the 20% in the UK

CJhaughey wrote: »
    The exchange rate has killed it for importing.
    Only thing is there is a lot more choice from the UK.

Well that's just it. Also alot of the NC over there come with the bells and whistles, fog lamps, propper screens, and various mods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea, its a major scam if you cant get it originally ex VAT.. I got mine up north for direct export thankfully

the real kicker is that if you dont... then the price the irish VAT is calculated on, will typically be the price you paid including the UK VAT. So they're charging VAT on another countries VAT..!

Wossack wrote: »
    yea, its a major scam if you cant get it originally ex VAT.. I got mine up north for direct export thankfully

the real kicker is that if you dont... then the price the irish VAT is calculated on, will typically be the price you paid including the UK VAT. So they're charging VAT on another countries VAT..!
    Yep, as is car VRT, based on OMSP which also includes the VRT originally paid!

Lads I doubt if ill end up going for a new Bike but if I did I have a question. Lets say for example its a Honda NC750x I wanted. The 3 biggest Honda dealers I can think of are Lee Honda, M50 Honda & Belfast Honda. There is a local place to me who Deal with Hondas also ut its the type of place that also does lawnmowers etc etc. So If you were going for a new bike would you stick to one of the Main 3 Big dealers or go to a local place. M50 Honda would be my closest Big dealer.

Also Is it worth while getting onto a dealer and requesting to be notified if they get a second hand bike in that im after? or would they just jack up the price knowing I wanted that specific bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

It'd be down to servicing I reckon - and customer service. If you want your bike dealer serviced by trained certified lads and nice perks like maybe a loaner bike when it's getting done, or a guarantee where they'll pick up the bike if it breaks down or something like that, go to a dealer by all means. If you're going to service yourself there's no real reason to go to a main dealer.

It also depends on the make - honda would be fairly well supported I reckon (no direct experience), but some other brands have basically no dealer network or comeback (yamaha is an example) and you might as well buy from anywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,355 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Buying a new bike is an even bigger waste of money than buying a new car. So many bikes get used in the dry only and/or very low mileage, let some fair weather biker / dreamer take the depreciation hit on their new bike, and get yourself a bargain!

Any new model will have good secondhand examples going for much cheaper than new within a year or two, think about how many thousand a year impatience will cost you :p

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Mentioned in another thread, a taxi banged into me earlier this week. He said claim the repairs off his insurance.

The quote I've got us worth more than my bike is worth, so if the insurance company claims it's a write-off, what should/can I do?

I love the bike and it's only a bit of cosmetic damage, so scrapping it seems insane.

Advice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Scrap it and buy it back off the dealer or scrapper at a fair price for both after. Happens all the time

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Scrap it and buy it back off the dealer or scrapper at a fair price for both after. Happens all the time

I was told that once it's been written off, it's a nightmare to insure though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Sure does happen all the time. But keep in mind your bike will then be considered a Cat d write off and could be a death trap, eh Wonda? :P:P

Ah no but it does happen all the time man. You should have no hassle buying the bike back at scrap value as the write off will only be a category D which is superficial damage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

goodlad wrote: »
    Sure does happen all the time. But keep in mind your bike will then be considered a Cat d write off and could be a death trap, eh Wonda? :P:P

Ah no but it does happen all the time man. You should have no hassle buying the bike back at scrap value as the write off will only be a category D which is superficial damage

No idea I only buy M&S not lidl!!!!

Lmao

I'll give the assessor a call today, but will it make getting insurance really difficult if it is declared Category D??

Wont effect the insurance at all.

Some good deals on louis.de https://www.louis.de/en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Jesus Christ lads, just back from Dublin, went up early in the morning. All the fecking nutters, I wish I had the camera with me to capture some of the stuff that happened! All you commuters have my respect!

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Jesus Christ lads, just back from Dublin, went up early in the morning. All the fecking nutters, I wish I had the camera with me to capture some of the stuff that happened! All you commuters have my respect!

They'd have the jacket robbed off your back sure. And not a holy medal or saint christopher statue among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

A daily challenge!

Was coming back up from Wexford on the M11 yesterday .. some clown in a jeep, undertook somebody on the hard shoulder and proceeded to cut right across the dividing chevron joining the motorway. God help anybody who was coming down to join the motorway as it was quite hidden! I passed them and glanced in my mirror and back out they had come to the overtaking lane!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

It's pretty bad alright blu, wait until the dark wet evenings come. Not only do half of the drivers forget how to drive, some even forget how to operate the vehicle at all.

You get accustomed to how to deal with them when your with them everyday. Same spots every morning were utter madness takes place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Normally don't have a need to filter on a motorway but traffic was crawling this morning. It was bliss I tells you. And the icing on the cake was most cars left plenty of room.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Normally don't have a need to filter on a motorway but traffic was crawling this morning. It was bliss I tells you. And the icing on the cake was most cars left plenty of room.

Sometimes i use the hard shoulder, but serious amount of debris in there, especially on the m50

Same, coming in the N4 and north quays, one of those mornings where the bike took me about 50 minutes, the car would have been easily 2 hours at that time.

Wonda-Boy wrote: »

Wont effect the insurance at all.

Cheers lads.

Talked to him there. I agreed a price that is just below 2/3 of the cost price of the bike, which means it won't be a write-off.
    Delighted with the outcome.

Looking forward to getting this on the fz1 :D:D:D:D

21060711264_ae4164a46b_b.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Looking forward to getting this on the fz1 :D:D:D:D
    NICE!!!!!
    Did you have to order it from the US goodlad?

• Advertisement

Yup. Got it from Biohazard motorcycles in Florida

Advertisement