Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

gerrowadat wrote: »
    20 mins is not too bad. I nearly had a ****ing rage haemorrhage the other morning sitting in traffic I'd have breezed past on the bike in 5 seconds for 90 minutes + each way. First car commute since august and forgot how annoying it is.

I hit traffic black ton the N4 and then from Cellbridge all the way to Heuston. Takes 50 mins on the bike. I would be easily 1hr 30 mins in the car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

I hit traffic black ton the N4 and then from Cellbridge all the way to Heuston. Takes 50 mins on the bike. I would be easily 1hr 30 mins in the car.

Same. just under an hour every time on the bike, even if I leave at 6 in the evening (which would be madness in the car).

Question about Vat.. Have a look at his bike http://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/used-bikes/5067239-honda-nc-nc750-xdeed/

Because the mileage is below 6000km it would be classed as a new bike. But im not sure if Vat would also needed to be paid??? anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Wouldn't do a winter commuting in Ireland without a heated jacket. Had one my last winter back home and it just makes things easy and comfortable. Keep your core warm and the rest all be fine.

Dropped to 27° here this evening, think I'll be OK for this winter!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

Question about Vat.. Have a look at his bike http://www.charleshurstgroup.co.uk/used-bikes/5067239-honda-nc-nc750-xdeed/

Because the mileage is below 6000km it would be classed as a new bike. But im not sure if Vat would also needed to be paid??? anyone know?

Not 100% but yes, Irish VAT would have to be paid but you do not pay the UK VAT to the seller (or else you claim it back, not sure).

• Advertisement

Pique wrote: »
    Not 100% but yes, Irish VAT would have to be paid but you do not pay the UK VAT to the seller (or else you claim it back, not sure).

That would make sense alright. I've sent them an email. Hopefully they will reply by tomorrow. Most likely will be out of my budget but we shall see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Surely if you rode it down using backroads, it would be over 6k by the time you registered it with VRT for inspection, then all this is a moot point?:D

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Surely if you rode it down using backroads, it would be over 6k by the time you registered it with VRT for inspection, then all this is a moot point?:D

Lol. Do the vrt crowd have information to show 500 miles on a bike and then within 7 days it's clocked up 5500? Do they care? Or do they just tick boxes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

box ticking exercise methinks.. they cant verify the mileage, or how much of it was done on irish soil anyway

when it was the motor tax office, I remember bringing my bike down to them. He had a look over it, and then asked could he see the mileage. Now I'd said to him it was a new bike, so was ready to pay the VAT.. so when I turn the key, he goes;
    'oh hah yea, its definitely brand new, 0 miles!'
    me: 'uh, thats the speedometer.. its actually 1000 miles..' - pointing at the number under the speedo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,356 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Unless you can buy it without paying the UK VAT upfront, forget it.

You'll end up paying twice and getting the UK VAT back is a nightmare by all accounts.

Stick to a bike that is accepted as secondhand, then you've only got VRT to worry about.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

Just make sure its over 6000km on the clock when ya bring it for VRT which you have 30 days to get done.

I just VRT my fz1 and they just got me to start the bike so he could see the mileage, as long as its over 6000km when they look at it your grand.

Ok lads I spoke with the dealer. Vat is already paid. So how does this effect me vat wise down south? Dealer says there will be no vat to pay down here?

I need some advice about the possible purchase of the bike.
    What questions are a must when buying?
    What ways can I get a better deal? no warranty for example etc etc
    And lastly is it a no no to try and sort out a price before making the journey?

He is saying UK vat is already paid. You will still be liable for Ireland VAT if you import a bike with less than 6000km.

You NEED to have more than 6000km on the bike when you bring it to the NCT centre here for inspection.

Tbh with the low mileage on that bike im not sure what history and questions you can have for the dude. It more or less is what it is at that kinda mileage.

Just get the reg number and do a full history check on the bike.
    Go up and test drive it and make him a cash price offer on the bike.

You can always try go for no warranty and get the price down but i doubt he will go for it.

goodlad wrote: »
    He is saying UK vat is already paid. You will still be liable for Ireland VAT if you import a bike with less than 6000km.

You NEED to have more than 6000km on the bike when you bring it to the NCT centre here for inspection.

Tbh with the low mileage on that bike im not sure what history and questions you can have for the dude. It more or less is what it is at that kinda mileage.

Just get the reg number and do a full history check on the bike.
    Go up and test drive it and make him a cash price offer on the bike.

You can always try go for no warranty and get the price down but i doubt he will go for it.

My normal commute will have me clocking up 2400km in 20 days. Add the already 800km gives me 3200km which leaves 2400km to clock up. Would it be madness to attempt this?

Ill keep my eyes peeled locally but I do like this bike.

Find a dyno. Ask can ya drive on it for 3 days and have a **** load of petrol handy :p

Find a dyno. Ask can ya drive on it for 3 days and have a **** load of petrol handy :p

Never even factored in fuel:P I think it works out at roughly 8 tanks of petrol. 14 litre tank

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

borrow a speedo

theoretically..

Wossack wrote: »
    borrow a speedo

theoretically..

Ah yiz are melting me head:P

Ok how is VAT worked out. The bike value is €6400, is VAT 21% of that?

Also is it not illegal to ride the bike for the 30 days clocking up the kms?

This is pissing me off cause its a good deal. It actually beats an import from Germany.

No its not illegal to drive the bike for the 30 days, you will just end up chalking up a penalty charge per day over the 30 days.

The fact is man you need to show them over 6000 km on the bike.
    Find one with that on it and swap out the speedo for the day... haha

Or just get the mileage clocked for the day then get it put back. Pretty sure there are lads that can do that no bother

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Too bad its only in carbon fiber model, still a great idea.

Product-Page-Header-Banner_Smart-Helmet.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Wouldn't do a winter commuting in Ireland without a heated jacket. Had one my last winter back home and it just makes things easy and comfortable. Keep your core warm and the rest all be fine.

Dropped to 27° here this evening, think I'll be OK for this winter!

If you're used to the heat it takes a while to adjust. But I do a 20 minute M50 commute, only do it in the dry, it's grand even on the coldest days. Don't even bother with jacket lining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Cienciano wrote: »
    If you're used to the heat it takes a while to adjust. But I do a 20 minute M50 commute, only do it in the dry, it's grand even on the coldest days. Don't even bother with jacket lining.
    Only getting used to the heat now, never going back!!

When i was in Ireland I'd do Sligo to Galway a couple of times a week, often late night or early morning, regardless of weather. Heated jacket was a godsend!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Pique

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Too bad its only in carbon fiber model, still a great idea.

Product-Page-Header-Banner_Smart-Helmet.png

and prices.

FB4O4WO.png

Edit: Sorry for the stupidly huge pic :-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,588 ✭✭✭KonFusion

Rang Principal today to get a quote on a CBF500. They said they couldn't insure me on that bike due to being on the provisional and having no NCB.

I said Liberty were offering 580 third party f&t. They said they still couldn't insure me, but would ring me back if that changed.

They rang me back 10 mins later and offered me 430, with legal and breakdown :D

Went from not being insurable to having the best deal offered so far. Not a bad start to the weekend :)

I have spotted another bike. Its in Germany. It has over 6000km but it was first registered in 07/15. So are we talking full VRT & VAT ? Is there any way to import the bike a lay it up for a few months until it reaches 6 months old?

You could just import it and stick it in a shed then put wrong date on the forms for vrt in a few months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I have spotted another bike. Its in Germany. It has over 6000km but it was first registered in 07/15. So are we talking full VRT & VAT ? Is there any way to import the bike a lay it up for a few months until it reaches 6 months old?

Get the one in England and drive it to Germany! :D

You could just import it and stick it in a shed then put wrong date on the forms for vrt in a few months

I dont get you. Should it not be registered within 30 days?
    Ive spotted 2 more which meet the criteria so all good. Also im in touch with a potential seller here so its a waiting game now.

Yeah it has to be registered within 30 days of the declared import date.
    Screwing around with that declared date is a pain in the hole if your planning to drive the bike straight away.

For example. But a bike now, get a delivery company to drop it to your house.
    3 months from then go get the vrt forms and declare the bike imported a week ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I think you'll have to show the date it entered the state, ferry tickets etc.

Advertisement