Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General chat thread... Links, pictures, banter etc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭goodlad

I didn't have to show any proof like that.
    Could just depend on who is behind the desk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I think you'll have to show the date it entered the state, ferry tickets etc.

I VRT'd my last 2 bikes, TBH most of the people could not give a rats ass about the details aslong as you have all the paperwork at hand when you arrive. All they ever check is the chassis number and the milage. So aslong as what ever you stick down on the paper matches the clocks on the day its job oxo.

Been trying out a load of different ear plugs the last while to get used to them.
    Was never happy with a set until now. I tried the Alpine Hearing ear plugs.

They were the first ones I tried where it wasn't like I was under water.
    Could hear people talking no bother and motorway driving was pure bliss... I could hear the wind noise but not to the extent that it was wrecking my brain.

And this is with the medium protection ones in the plugs. They also came with a higher protection plug and a little case to keep them in.

https://www.alpinehearingprotection.co.uk/earplugs/motosafe/

goodlad wrote: »
    Been trying out a load of different ear plugs the last while to get used to them.

Could hear people talking no bother and motorway driving was pure bliss... I could hear the wind noise but not to the extent that it was wrecking my brain.

And this is with the medium protection ones in the plugs. They also came with a higher protection plug and a little case to keep them in.

Wonder how much the plugs would be without all the other crap. €20 aint cheap for 3 bits of non silicone. Seems a bit excessive, was fine all over Germany on the road for hrs at at a time without spending mad money on plugs.

Normal 3m throw away jobbies are perfect for me TBH. Only thing I would consider is proper custom molded ear plugs....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Pack of 26 for 9.46 at Halfords;
    261594?$pd_main_v2$
    http://www.halfords.com/motoring/motorcycling/motorcycle-accessories/gtmoto-motorcycle-earplugs-pack-of-26

I have been using them for over a year now, as long as you know how to insert them in properly they are spot on and if you loose one its no big deal.

• Advertisement

I tried the halfords ones and the 3m. Couldn't stand them. They blocked out too much.
    They gave that underwater hearing for me which was crap.

Wanted something that let me hear a certain amount while blocking out wind noise.
    Sure all our ears can't be the same :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

careful now..:)

I tried the halfords ones and the 3m. Couldn't stand them. They blocked out too much.
    They gave that underwater hearing for me which was crap.

Wanted something that let me hear a certain amount while blocking out wind noise.
    Sure all our ears can't be the same :p

Reminds me of Avacado boy....paid 25 euro for a set in Cotters. Said they were the best thing since ear muffs. Roll forward few months never even takes them out of the tube on the bikes key ring ffs!!!!

Ah sure I'm using them ever day commuting. They are doing the job pretty well so I've no hassle paying what I paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Got those a few years back and found them fantastic. Even after I got rid of the bike I held onto them and got great use out of them at work. They're pretty decent at muffling a roaring Rolls Royce jet engine while still being able to hear people calling you on the radio.

• Advertisement

I dont think the 3M or Halfords ones would do that for ya :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Actually, having lost my Alpine ones early this summer, the 3M ones are doing an OK job. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Are these not a pain in the jocks to stay seated when putting a helmet on?

Ive never worn earplugs on the bike at all, used them when swimming often but not on the bike. Yet to find a need for them tbh.

You wont see the need for them as the wind noise makes you slowly deaf over time. Mind you, it depends what kinda driving you do.

Nah they are grand at staying in the ear when putting the lid on. Never got caught or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Reminds me of Avacado boy....paid 25 euro for a set in Cotters. Said they were the best thing since ear muffs. Roll forward few months never even takes them out of the tube on the bikes key ring ffs!!!!

Haha ya blx. Yep Wonda is spot on I use the 3m foam ones mostly and I have a set on my key rings worth more than my bike. TBH I don't use plugs on spins as I like to hear the motor when I'm out for the craic. Commuting I prefer to wear plugs and only use the fancy ones as a back up in case I lose/ forget the disposable ones.

ha! Would ya not do it the other way around and use the "fancy" ones and keep the disposable incase you lose one? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

ha! Would ya not do it the other way around and use the "fancy" ones and keep the disposable incase you lose one? :p

Ye I suppose but either way if I ever lose one or them I won't replace them, foam ones are practically the same for my requirements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I have custom molded ear plugs from the job but im not sure they would be any good for wind noise reduction. They are designed for big engines. I must give them a try

I got the r&g heated grips and bar ends installed today.
    Never again! First impression on the quality of materials used is cheap shíte.

Given the price of them compared to Oxford I did expect them to not be as good but still expected some form of Quality. They are like some cheap crap from Aliexpress.

For one they are too long for the fz1, and due to this both my original bar ends or the r&g ones could not go back onto the bike easily as they would tighten against the bar ends. Cant even move the controls all in on the bar as some of them are pinned in place on the bars.Had to have a spacer made up to push out the bar ends so they don't tighten into the grips.

They are also made for 22mm bars, but yet they fúcking spin freely on the bars. I would expect them to slide on but have some form of traction. Had to tape up the bars then slide them on with some glue to help keep them on.

And the heated grip control... where the wire goes into it isnt even sealed up. If you slightly bend the cable you can see the inner cables.

They are on the bike now and working. But i genuinely have no expectation for them to last a long time. Pure cheap shít is what they are.

Given the price of them compared to Oxford I did expect them to not be as good but still expected some form of Quality. They are like some cheap crap from Aliexpress.

For one they are too long for the fz1, and due to this both my original bar ends or the r&g ones could not go back onto the bike easily as they would tighten against the bar ends. Cant even move the controls all in on the bar as some of them are pinned in place on the bars.Had to have a spacer made up to push out the bar ends so they don't tighten into the grips.

They are also made for 22mm bars, but yet they fúcking spin freely on the bars. I would expect them to slide on but have some form of traction. Had to tape up the bars then slide them on with some glue to help keep them on.

And the heated grip control... where the wire goes into it isnt even sealed up. If you slightly bend the cable you can see the inner cables.

They are on the bike now and working. But i genuinely have no expectation for them to last a long time. Pure cheap shít is what they are.

That would bug me. Put some electrical silicone over the connection where the wire is exposed for now. I thought r&g were a good brand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

That would bug me. Put some electrical silicone over the connection where the wire is exposed for now. I thought r&g were a good brand?

They're generally ok for some stuff but this doesn't appear to be their strong point. Oxford are the king when it comes to heated grips it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Glad I read this.

I was considering heated grips off AliExpress or similar instead of the Oxford ones, but I think this has made me decision for me.

I'm genuinely wondering if I was sold a clone of the r&g grips or is the quality actually this awful. I have emailed them with my feedback on the product anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Where did you buy them from?

M&P in the UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Haven't had any issues with them before. I'm trying to remember where I got the R&G ones - possibly Ebay.

I found them Ok on the VFR. Have the Oxford Touring grips now on my FZ1 and they are great .. albiet the right seems to get hotter than the left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

I fitted R&G to my last bike and they were a nightmare. Too loose, too long and felt flimsy. I did what you did, wrapped the bar in tape, lots of glue and trimmed the length as much as I could safely do. I put Oxfords on the Bird when I bought it and they are a world apart from the R&G. Dearer, yes, but this is definitely one time that you get what you pay for. I bought them from Motorcycleshop.ie and I got a fairly good price on them, I think given the sterling rates that they were cheaper than buying them from the UK.

Ive just ordered a set of Datatool heated grips http://www.datatool.co.uk/home/products/THERMAGRIP

They switch off automatically and there is no box needed to adjust the temp as its an inbuilt magnetic slider which controls the temp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,363 ✭✭✭gerrowadat

Ive just ordered a set of Datatool heated grips http://www.datatool.co.uk/home/products/THERMAGRIP

They switch off automatically and there is no box needed to adjust the temp as its an inbuilt magnetic slider which controls the temp.

Let us know how you go with them, was never a fan of the big control boxes even in the oxfords.

• Advertisement

Just got a mail from Squire locks in the UK saying the lock has a 10 year guarantee and i can post it to them and they will repair or replace it after an inspection :D

There was a bit of a delay but they looked over the lock today and have post me a new replacement lock today. Now that's savage service. I have that lock over 6 years and its used daily in all weathers. Its great to see them standing over the 10 year guarantee.

Advertisement