Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Newbie Questions

Options
  • 23-02-2014 2:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

I am fed up of being unfit and have decided to aim for a 5k run. What kind of gear do I need?

Baselayer tops and Tshirts? Baselayer pants and shorts?

Gait analysis Ive heard is the way to go but Ive only a Lifestyle sports and Elverys nearby no dedicated run shop. Is there any catch all runners that would be ok for starting off?

Any advice is appreciated.Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

The single most important item is a good pair of runners. Go to Elverys and get fitted. There are no catch-all runners - everyones feet are different.

After that, wear whatever is comfortable - shorts, t-shirts, technical running tops, running tights, anything will do, if you are comfortable in them.

Don't go mad buying gear at the beginning. You need very little to start and you can build up a collection as you go. Lidl or Aldi will have running specials some time soon.

You will warm up quickly, so don't wear too much, Some runners wear shorts and t-shirts all year round, some like long sleeves and running tights for the winter. Err on the side of slightly too warm and discard a few layers when you warm up for your first few runs and see what you prefer.

THe only thing that matters is that you get out there and run. Start very slow and build up the time on your feet.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭gerrycorrigan

I went running in Phoenix Pk and my new Asics are now manky dirty after plodding across the 15 Acres.
    How can I clean/wash them?......in washing machine possibly???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Why wash them sure won't they only get dirty the next time you run? Or clean if it's raining!! Seriously tho putting the in the washing machine could ruin them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I went running in Phoenix Pk and my new Asics are now manky dirty after plodding across the 15 Acres.
    How can I clean/wash them?......in washing machine possibly???

Sure, its only clean dirt. A quick wipe with a damp cloth if you really feel the need. The washing machine will ruin them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

Get down to Elvery's if that's nearest you, but ignore the hard sell on the rubbish insoles they will try to flog you to "correct" your imbalance.

Then as others say, just get out and start running, slowly at first, jog/walk intervals if you need to.
    DO NOT RACE your training, slow it right down to a pace you can comfortable hold a conversation - that's a good starting point.

Advertisement