Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replacing Oil stove with Pellet Stove

• 23-02-2014 3:05pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Folks
    Mother in law onto me this morning.
    He oil burning stove is going to be replaced, she lives on her own and its costing a small fortune to run.
    Its a space heating stove only so no rads to heat.
    Space is 44 sqm, think around 13 cubic meters.
    Its a kitchen/dining/living room all in one open planned room.
    High ceiling, semi detached house. Block walls with pumped walls.
    Its got double doors on the end of the room. It has 4 velux windows.
    It has 4 west facing window, 1 east facing.

She went to the local heat and plumbing merchant and he seems to only stock one unit, this is these.

http://www.arredatutto.com/en/extraflame-dorina-pergamena-p-38389.html

Is this sufficent or overkill? She will be buying small bags of pellets for use in the local co-op.

Would greatly appreciate some comments or guidance, I can't seem to find anything about them with regards reviews.

Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

avoid pellet stove and install a wood burning stove would be my advice,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hitchens wrote: »
    avoid pellet stove and install a wood burning stove would be my advice,

From listening in the background to people on boards and outside they impression I got was that a pellet stove was not a success.
    So thanks for that input. I think she might be better.

Will let others comment as well, just in case :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭Hitchens

yop wrote: »

Will let others comment as well, just in case :D

always a wise policy ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭Avns1s

First off, I'd say avoid wood pellets going by what I hear from those that change to them and then changed back.

Secondly, I'd say any fuel you use will cost the same or more than oil to heat the same area to the same extent.

Finally, anyone I know that has those oil stoves installed are very happy with them and say they cost quite little to run. I wonder is it running ok and also, how's that room for insulation and draughtproofing? Also, could that room be partitioned so that you needn't be heating it all fully, all of the time?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Hitchens wrote: »
    always a wise policy ;)

ha ha :D Her mate got once exactly the same and reckons its a great buy, 1550 euro locally. Reckons "she can put a bag in and will last 3 days".... find that hard to believe!!!!

• Advertisement

Avns1s wrote: »
    First off, I'd say avoid wood pellets going by what I hear from those that change to them and then changed back.

Secondly, I'd say any fuel you use will cost the same or more than oil to heat the same area to the same extent.

Finally, anyone I know that has those oil stoves installed are very happy with them and say they cost quite little to run. I wonder is it running ok and also, how's that room for insulation and draughtproofing? Also, could that room be partitioned so that you needn't be heating it all fully, all of the time?

Ok thanks for the comments.

I don't have figures on what it costs to run it to be honest, as she has an oil burner also to heat the rest of the house.
    I know she had issues with that burner before, but her plumber installed it and fixed it.
    You'd wonder if its the boiler and not the oil stove causing an issue?

She has all the walls pumped and had the attic reinsulated so I think with that regard she has done all that.

The chapel ceiling in that large living room I would have my doubts over, its down to the builders diligence to have insulated correctly. Its timbered over now so I can't see right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 rainbow angel

Hi Yop. I'm now changing oil stove for a pellet insert. Which did your mother in law choose and how successful has it been? Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Avns1s wrote: »

I don't think so.

Oil = 10 cent per KW

Coal = 5 cent per KW

Have a read here. ( No value for firewood unfortunately)

http://www.seai.ie/Publications/Statistics_Publications/Fuel_Cost_Comparison/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭MicktheMan

yop wrote: »
    The chapel ceiling in that large living room I would have my doubts over, its down to the builders diligence to have insulated correctly. Its timbered over now so I can't see right.

Regardless whether it is insulated or not, that ceiling could very well be leaking air like a sieve.
    You know you can have it tested for insulation and air tightness?

Advertisement