Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PW Boards Video Club - Discussion and Show Selection

• 23-02-2014 3:32pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So a few weeks back in the Network thread, I proposed the idea that when the Network came out, we could start doing a topic where we pick a show, watch it and then discuss it. Given the Network comes out on Monday, thought I'd start up a new topic and start discussing the ins-and-outs of the idea :) Between podcasts like OSW and Review-a-wai, and the fanbases they have, I think there's obviously people who want to discuss old shows, so let's bring a bit of that here.

Should specify that I know not everyone is going to have the Network, given it's US only to start off with. I checked with Bounty, and he said it's ok to discuss it for now, but rules might come further down the line which makes it not ok to discuss how to get it. Obviously, there are other ways to watch the shows; there's quite a few shows on Youtube for instance, and I know I've got a tonne of DVDs on my shelf. And even if you've not seen the show, a read on Wiki and a discussion of your memories will provide contributable material as well. So the topic might evolve as we progress and we might have to adjust discussions on how to watch shows.

But the main idea is simple enough; we pick a show and we discuss it. Just like every other PPV and show on here. It could be every second week if people wanted the time, we could vote on shows for a variety of reasons (be it "OMG this show was awesome" or "Holy ****, this show was tripe!"). Come to a group consensus, pick a show, give people time to watch it. And then talk about what we liked, what we didn't.

Sound good? Suggestions? Tips? Alternative name suggestions :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

I think it'd be pretty cool if it was structured that it was a PPV that was watched at the same time by everyone, like as an example 8pm on a Tuesday or whatever and we all commented on it live as we watch it, might be fun.. And could promote more comments and banter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

I think the live discussion could be hard to pull off. I think the "book club" idea could be brilliant. E.g This week's topic for debate/discussion will be KOTR 98 PPV, the "Self-Distuction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD, The Last Nitro. Check it out by X date when we'll be kicking off a discussion thread.

I'll shoot it out there. After listening to the glowing review the podcast guys gave of the Japanese stuff, it could be the perfect excuse for PW boardsies to hit the orient. I've always had a passing interest in Puroresu but never really took serious time to check it out.

Maybe one of the WCW Tokyo Dome to ease it?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Book club idea is the way to go give everyone a set time to watch say 3 days and post their thoughts or opinions here. I'd be well up for it! Especially old wCw and ECW PPVs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

ShagNastii wrote: »
    I think the live discussion could be hard to pull off. I think the "book club" idea could be brilliant. E.g This week's topic for debate/discussion will be KOTR 98 PPV, the "Self-Distuction of the Ultimate Warrior DVD, The Last Nitro. Check it out by X date when we'll be kicking off a discussion thread.

Yeah, my fear of setting a time to watch it "Live" would be it will drastically limit the number of people who might participate; I wonder how many people even sit and watch Raw, for instance, live. I get the feeling most tape and skip through it. At least starting off, I'd like to make this as accessible as possible to people, even if it's a case of people trying to just get a set match or moment in so they can participate.
    I'll shoot it out there. After listening to the glowing review the podcast guys gave of the Japanese stuff, it could be the perfect excuse for PW boardsies to hit the orient. I've always had a passing interest in Puroresu but never really took serious time to check it out.

Maybe one of the WCW Tokyo Dome to ease it?

Yeap, like the idea of doing more than just WWE shows. Again, starting off, to encompass as many people as possible, I think we should go for shows with larger appeals, shows which had significance for various reasons, but certainly that show would be an example of one that would possibly give people a segway into more "exotic" shows :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I think it's a great idea, but it needs to start with WWE and something fairly recent. It has to introduce people to the idea by using something they are familiar with before branching out to other stuff like NJPW.

I'd personally vote for a Wrestlemania or a Royal Rumble as the first one. Do a few like that until it builds up a solid base and then go to lesser PPV's or even big Raw's, then WCW or TNA and so on. Basically, start with the biggest stuff and slowly ease into the other stuff.

I think the bi-weekly idea would work too. For arguements sake, say the discussion starts on the 1st of March so you have about a week to watch whatever show. Anyone who then takes part in the discussion gets to vote on the following show. Would hopefully help encourage people to watch as they then get a say on the next one.
    I wonder how many people even sit and watch Raw, for instance, live.

Usually less than 10, sometimes less than 5. At least thats how many do be online and using the live thread when its on. Others could be up but just not commenting.

• Advertisement

I also think we should try and make chosen shows related to things happening at the moment, even if only in a loose way.

For instance, if there was one this week, we could have chosen Survivor Series 2002, which was the first show to have an Elimination Chamber match. So people could watch the whole show, just that match and we could talk about how that match influenced what we see today.

Plus...you know...HBK winning the title was a pretty sweet moment :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I like this idea.

Don't rule out just asking people to review a famous match or a series of matches in a feud. For example Jericho v HBK.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

It could be good to incorporate this into the Boards podcast i.e. Whenever the podcast is being done one of the topics for discussion is the PPV being talked about here. And i agree that it needs to start with a famous WWE PPV, most likely a Wrestlemania or Royal Rumble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Maybe even just a solid PPV like Backlash 2000, or maybe Summerslam 2002

Thinking about it now, I'd vote for Wrestlemania 18.

Hogan vs Rock, Austin vs Hall, Triple H's big comeback pay off vs Jericho, the first Undertaker match where the streak was really a thing vs Flair, Maven vs Goldust for the Hardcore title. A pretty big one for my money.

• Advertisement

Nominations so far:
    Wrestlemania 18
    Backlash 2000
    Summerslam 2002

Wouldn't mind starting to devise a bit of a list and a calendar of sorts, maybe. Give people the option of watching shows well ahead, makes it easier to work out themes or the likes too. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

For all the people who didnt watch WCW back in the day, Bash at the Beach 96 would be a very good watch and one to discuss. Maybe Spring Stampede 1999 also, was one of the best in ring wrestling shows i have ever seen.

Canadian Stampede is probably the single best WWF PPV ever, but it wasnt a major one.

An epic ten man tag main event, the start of the Triple H vs Mankind feud, the first WWF exposure to the Cruiserweight style and a strong Vader vs Undertaker World title match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

What about doing it in some kind of order, example starting with an early WrestleMania. And then whatever PPVs that are considered interesting from then on in sequential order.

I say TSC makes a list of the people who want to be a part of this. TSC picks the first weeks PPV and then who evers nexts in line picks the next ppv and so on in that order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I want to be part of it neway guys :)

beakerjoe wrote: »
    I say TSC makes a list of the people who want to be a part of this. TSC picks the first weeks PPV and then who evers nexts in line picks the next ppv and so on in that order.

Was just going to propose this tonight :D
    Right, if you want to be on the "Show Chooser" list, please clearly state so on here, AFTER THIS POST.
    If you already know what show you'd choose, feel free to say so as well, and we can build a bit of a calendar up. The only one I might put a hold on right now is Week Five, which will be Mania week. I think at certain stages, we should form group consensus on shows which should tie in with whatever is happening that week. So on Mania week, we shoule ensure we've got some form a Mania-themed PPV to watch. Is that ok? So for now we'd have...

Week One: TSC - MITB 2011
    Week Two:
    Week Three:
    Week Four:
    Week Five: (Wrestlemania Weekend)
    Week Six:
    Week Seven:
    etc

That work? Is everyone happy with taking turns choosing shows? I think it's certainly the easiest method...

So, as you'll have noticed, I decided to choose "Money in the Bank 2011" to start things off. Two reasons for this; one, it had possibly my favorite match of all time at the top of the card. But two...I think it ties in with what's happening in WWE right now; this was the show that took place 3 weeks after Punk's pipebomb, in Chicago, and was when he was vowing to change WWE. Fast forward to today, and he's gone (again), we've got Raw about to take place in Chicago and it might be interesting to see how much, if anything, has actually changed in the near 3 years since the show took place.

I also feel that at the very least, the major matches are easily available on Youtube and the likes, it's recent enough that people can debate things while relying on memory, and it's recent enough that it's still relevant.

Everyone ok with that? We say Thursday night, we discuss MITB 2011?

I'm in.

December to Dismember

Still undecided on Canadian Stampede or Wrestlemania 18. After a mental coin toss, I'll go with Canadian Stampede as my vote.

Are we planning on doing it weekly, or bi-weekly?

I'm 100% in, my show is Bash at the Beach 96

Throw me down :) Being close to Wrestlemania XXX, Ill go with WM19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Throw me down Summerslam 2002

We do it every Thursday?

Week Two: gnfrnhead - In Your House 16: Canadian Stampede
    Week Three: Raf32 - Bash at the Beach 96
    Week Four: BeakerJoe - Wrestlemania 19
    Week Five: (Wrestlemania Weekend; tbh)
    Week Six: LoughC - Summerslam 2002

We do it every Thursday?

Week Five: (Wrestlemania Weekend; tbh)

Maybe stick the main matches beside it? The only match I remember from Wrestlemania 19 (without googling it first) is Booker vs Triple H and not for the right reasons :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Royal Rumble 2000 for me :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

We've chalked in a Mania, a Summerslam and a Rumble.

I'll suggest the first old school selection and one to get a full home of the WWE's big four. Survivor Series 91.

Edit: Taker VS Hogan

Good idea gnfrnhead :)
    *(CM Punk vs John Cena - WWE Title - Punk's contract runs out at midnight)*

*(The Hart Foundation (Bret Hart, Jim Neidhart, Owen Hart, The British Bulldog, and Brian Pillman) vs Stone Cold Steve Austin, Ken Shamrock, Goldust, and The Legion of Doom (Hawk and Animal))*

*(The formation of the nWo)*

*(Rock/Austin III, Brock/Angle, Vince/Hogan, HHH/Booker)

Week Five: (Wrestlemania Weekend)
    *(tbd)*

*(Brock/Rock, HBK/HHH)*

Week Seven: BrianRegan09 - Royal Rumble 2000
    *(Royal Rumble, HHH/Cactus)*

Week Eight: ShaqNasti - Survivor Series 1991
    *(Hogan/Taker, The Legion of Doom (Hawk and Animal) and The Big Boss Man vsThe Natural Disasters (Earthquake and Typhoon) and Irwin R. Schyster (with Jimmy Hart))*

If anyone needs MITB let me know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

King Of The Ring 1998 - and not just because of that match :)

Was also during an interesting transitional period after WrestleMania 14.

May I add Shawn V Jericho FROM wm19 , was an epic match, much better than Booker/Hunter

• Advertisement

I'll post up the topic tomorrow evening for MITB 2011 :)

Right lads,

I know I've not posted in the Bash at the Beach thread yet. With the draft and some personal events the last few days, I've not had a chance to watch.

But I wanted to make sure there was still interest there to discuss things. Week One was great, a few people talking, a good few people voting. Week two saw attendance halved. And now week three seems to be empty. 1 reply discussing the show and only 3 votes.

I don't mind running it week on week if there's sufficent interest, but I also don't want to be clogging up the board with weekly topics people aren't using. :( So is it the show choices? Just that people don't have time? Interest?

Feedback would be appreciated.

I have really just been snowed under the last two weeks but ok again this week, will watch show tonight and have my views on it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Same here. Flat out. But I intend on having the show watched Wednesday at the latest

I want this to continue, but i havent been able to take part as of yet. Unfortunatly serious life altering situations have happened to myself over teh last few weeks and Boards just hasnt been a priority.

Ive been lucky to get by PPV done in the draft and have been able to read up on others PPVs and have been unable to really get back to hosting the Wrestler War thread. But id love to get stuck into this when all my real life stress blows over.

1 reply discussing the show and only 3 votes.

This is the bit I dont get. A whole lot more votes than replies. Are the people who vote but dont reply even watching the show, or are they just going from memory? I think only the replies should count since they are actually making an effort. If you've watched the show, you should be able to at least form a couple of sentences if you dont want to do a full review.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭Chagan

I'm in the middle of writing up this week's. College has taken over a bit. Will write the second half after the match tonight and hopefully have it up by tomorrow.

Definitely agree with gnfnr about voting vs posting. It doesn't even have to be a full review. Just even a comment about why you gave the show it's score. Anything that might get a conversation going.

Will be a bit later tonight. Have to do a trip up to Dublin today so will be home later. Apologies.

Snowed under in work :(

I work as part of a two man team and the other guy upped and left 2 weeks ago and he's yet to be replaced so I'm doing double the workload until he's replaced :(

Sorry bout not getting it up tonight, will do it first thing in the morning.

Spent a large chunk of the day in a hospital in Dublin so tired and not much in the mood to get it up right now. Nothing bad btw, just tiring. Will get it up first thing tomorrow.

Sorry bout not getting it up tonight

I'm pretty sure there are pills to help you with that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Fully Loaded 2000 is a show to consider down the line. Awesome, under-rated show with a great card from top to bottom.

Will fit 3-4 hours in for WM19 somehow over the weekend.

Would it be better if we did them bi-weekly? The numbers have been going down in a hurry so many the extra time would help?

I also want to throw ROH Manhattan Mayhem from 2005 into consideration.

Just a quick update; I think it's right to switch them to bi-weekly, so people still have another week to keep going with Mania 19 if they want. Especially with the size of the Mania cards, it might be smart to give people the extra time.

So we'll start back up next week, when hopefully everyone is also on a Post-Mania high :)

Advertisement