Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromebooks.

Options
  • 23-02-2014 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

I was looking at Google's Pixel and its very nice, quality wise and has a nice bit of power in it but what i don't understand why they would make a Chromebook that has all this power and cost so much and does so little like i have the series 3 Samsung Chromebook and i love it got it during the week and its brilliant handy out, There is a big difference though Samsung's Chromebook is 300 euro there about's and that's grand its not to bad, for the quality of build and the spec isn't to bad for the price but its 1300 euro, around that for the pixel and i just think that is nuts, like don't get me wrong its probably one of the nicest and simply designed laptops iv'e seen but it does nothing but browse the internet i just don't get it who would by it for its actual purpose..?

And id like to hear your opinions do you thing they will bring Androids App store to the Chromebook's seeing as there both Google's property and that would make Chromebook's so much popular and a very handy machine with great potential, have a mix between chrome OS and Android would be a very cool experience. And i can see if they add new features to the Chromebooks making them more popular Chrome store will get a lot better and will have a lot more apps to add a better experience to the offline of the Chromebook's.

I was also wondering not is stopping me from taking out the SSD in my Chromebook and butting in a laptop drive to install the proper Ubuntu or even see how windows 7 runs on it.

I would like to hear your opinions.

Thanks,

Luke :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That's mad money for what is essentially just an interface to Googles servers with a little bit of offline capabilities (soon more which will just bring it full circle and become a snazzy laptop).
    If you have 1300 to burn on a good looking lappy, go apple.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭LukeyKid

biko wrote: »
    That's mad money for what is essentially just an interface to Googles servers with a little bit of offline capabilities (soon more which will just bring it full circle and become a snazzy laptop).
    If you have 1300 to burn on a good looking lappy, go apple.

Yeah its a bit mad alright :L Nah wouldn't buy a Mac id just go for some gaming Laptop lot more for you money :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭The One Who Knocks

LukeyKid wrote: »
    Yeah its a bit mad alright :L Nah wouldn't buy a Mac id just go for some gaming Laptop lot more for you money :P

Well there's an oxymoron.

Well there's an oxymoron.

A what.?

A what.?

You mean you have a chromebook and you don't use google?

• Advertisement

You mean you have a chromebook and you don't use google?

I never said that :P I was wondering could you put another HDD into it and run windows 7 or something else that would give me more use out of it till Chrome OS is more Developed. I love the Chromebook its just very limited i have installed xfce4 on it as well but it takes time to set all that up right and i don't have the time to get it up and running at the moment.

I never said that :P I was wondering could you put another HDD into it and run windows 7 or something else that would give me more use out of it till Chrome OS is more Developed. I love the Chromebook its just very limited i have installed xfce4 on it as well but it takes time to set all that up right and i don't have the time to get it up and running at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thanks that's actually quiet interesting :) but not what i was looking for i don't want to render the actual Chromebook useless. Would a HDD with Win 7 pre installed not work..?

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

The Acer C720 does allow a bios-like setup AFAIK. I'm not sure if windows will run on it though. Linux certainly will and there are documented cases of it.

Personally I use it with "crouton" for linux goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Would a HDD with Win 7 pre installed not work..?
    No, the drivers for the hardware would all be wrong

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

28064212 wrote: »
    No, the drivers for the hardware would all be wrong

Ah okay makes sense is there any talk of drivers being made and what about Ubuntu ?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Ubuntu works well on the C720 to the best of my knowledge. Requires newer version (13.10) for touchpad support.

Again, you could install ubuntu through crouton. That works flawlessly.

Khannie wrote: »
    Ubuntu works well on the C720 to the best of my knowledge. Requires newer version (13.10) for touchpad support.

Again, you could install ubuntu through crouton. That works flawlessly.

Is xfce4 not a part of Ubuntu ?

What would be the best music player for a chromebook ? if you use google play music could you play music from an external harddrive with it on a chromebook ?

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Adrian4

Could you download open office on a chrome book?

What type of memory is in them?

I

Adrian4 wrote: »

What type of memory is in them?

I

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/search/open%20office

And what memory ? They have a 16GB SSD, And my one has 4GB Ram, Any help ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Anyone find a stable torrent app?
    Using jstorrent till the update, now at a loss for its replacement
    Any ideas?

youngblood wrote: »
    Anyone find a stable torrent app?
    Using jstorrent till the update, now at a loss for its replacement
    Any ideas?

To be honest i didnt even know that there was torrent apps for a chromebook never thought on it. i had a look there though utorrent for google chrome, id say you already know about it but id say that would be the only other trustworthy one :P

• Advertisement

Cheers for that, Good few torrent apps out there for chrome os,
    Contacted the developer, they changed some bits and uploaded a new working programme- jstorrent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭mcw92

Adrian4 wrote: »

I

You could use Microsoft's Word for documents, or even Google's own Docs.

mcw92 wrote: »
    You could use Microsoft's Word for documents, or even Google's own Docs.

The one drive is v good if you need to use word for work etc, totally free, as is open office/google docs etc

Advertisement