Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Homeopath

• 23-02-2014 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello, I am looking for vet clinic using Homeopathy around Limerick area thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Andrea Stuckenberg in Hospital is a wonderful vet and is interested in using homeopathic remedies. She takes a lot of advice on it from Tom Farrington in Cork.

Then there's Erica Borge at Ceithre Cos veterinary clinic in Tulla, Co. Clare. A stone's throw from Limerick and Erica is really great!

There's also a homeopathic vet in Mitchelstown, about 45 mins. from Limerick. Isabel Smith.

Irish Society of Veterinary Homeopaths website

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nichka

Thank you so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

If your dog is sick, see a vet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

If your insistent on the homeopath root, just give your dog water and you will save a fortune...Or do the smart thing and see an actual vet, placebo effect doesn't work on animals from my understanding of the placebo effect

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If your insistent on the homeopath root, just give your dog water and you will save a fortune...Or do the smart thing and see an actual vet, placebo effect doesn't work on animals from my understanding of the placebo effect

You are correct sir.

OP, you'd be better off with a real vet.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

I am pie wrote: »
    If your dog is sick, see a vet.
    You are correct sir.

OP, you'd be better off with a real vet.
    What business is it of yours if the OP wants their animal to see a vet with expertise in a specific mode of treatment?

The absolute height of ill-manners and ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

mathepac wrote: »
    What business is it of yours if the OP wants their animal to see a vet with expertise in a specific mode of treatment?

The absolute height of stupidity to go to a homoeopath regarding literally any medical ailment.

Well if the animal is sick, and in need of treatment and the owner insists on homeopathic "treatment" they could be endangering their animal...Its only water and anyone who believes otherwise should be banned from owning animals or having kids, we need to nip this nonscene in the bud

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

What business is it of yours if I want to deny my pet proper medical treatment?

The absolute height of stupidity to go to a homoeopath regarding literally any medical ailment.
    and you know this how? So far two of you don't seem to know how to turn on very basic spelling and grammar checking for your posts so fundamental technical stuff seems beyond you. In that light how are you qualified to evaluate any veterinary science?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Poor doggy.

:(

and you know this how? So far two of you don't seem to know how to turn on very basic spelling and grammar checking for your posts so fundamental technical stuff seems beyond you. In that light how are you qualified to evaluate any veterinary science?

Homoeopathy isn't science...FACT!

Homoeopathy isn't science...FACT!
    Turning on a spell-checker certainly isn't science but it seems to have eluded you completely either that or you harbour some kind of fantasies you might want to discuss in private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

While I don't have any specific qualifications relating to veterinary, I do have a PhD in Chemical and Bioprocess Engineering, and have spent many years working in a field that requires peer review of evidence-based results, not pseudo-science based on "hair of the dog that bites you". With that said, grasping the scope of a practice that simply relies on diluting something many, many times, is definitely within my technical grasp (not that moving a decimal point requires that much brain power).

You also shouldn't complain about people not having a grasp of spelling and grammar when you start a sentence with a lower case letter.

With that said, grasping the scope of a practice that simply relies on diluting something many, many times, is definitely within my technical grasp (not that moving a decimal point requires that much brain power).

You also shouldn't complain about people not having a grasp of spelling and grammar when you start a sentence with a lower case letter.

Homeopathy is worse than that.
    They have a big long book of symptoms and causes. If you drop in with a pain in your abdomen, regardless of the actual cause, they look up something that causes that kind of pain and dilute that to parts per billion.

Doesn't matter what caused the pain, a stab wound, trapped gas or cancer.

EDIT: Randi layeth the smackdown.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,156 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Posting on a public forum, the nerve.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Infractions handed out for the ridiculous carry on in this thread. Any further uncivil posts from now will be banned from this forum with no further warning.

We don't tolerate grammar nazis in here either.

Do not reply to this post.
    Anniehoo

Homeopathy is worse than that.
    ... If you drop in with a pain in your abdomen, regardless of the actual cause, ...
    You attend a veterinary clinic? I'm sure it reduces health-care costs a lot but is it not a trifle, eh rudimentary? I'm assuming you're human of course.

anniehoo wrote: »
    Infractions handed out for the ridiculous carry on in this thread. Any further uncivil posts from now will be banned from this forum with no further warning.

We don't tolerate grammar nazis in here either.

Do not reply to this post.
    Anniehoo

So can we assume infractions we're handed out for that to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

In that light how are you qualified to evaluate any veterinary science?

They weren't talking about veterinary science, they were talking about homeopathy.

• Advertisement

You attend a veterinary clinic? I'm sure it reduces health-care costs a lot but is it not a trifle, eh rudimentary? I'm assuming you're human of course.

I am speaking of Homeopathy, if you could address some of the points, rather than engaging in Poisoning the Well, that would be lovely.

It doesn't matter if anyone attended Vetenary Clinic or not, Homeopathy is a scam that prays on the weak minded people who don't understand science...Just just water, its only water and nothing else and that is in fact science

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

So can we assume infractions we're handed out for that to?

Both yourself and mathepac have received an infraction for being uncivil. Any further agro from the two of you will see automatic bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sillysmiles

Do people actually believe in homeopathy? Why?

Genuine question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Do people actually believe in homeopathy? Why?

Genuine question.

Because they want to and you have to respect other people's beliefs blah, blah, blah...

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

If someone gives their animal homeopathic remedies for an illness they should be regarded the same as someone who had a sick animal and did nothing. Homeopathy doesn't work. It is nonsense. It's no better than a placebo for people, and does nothing at all for animals. Homeopaths are not special, alternative doctors/vets, they're charlatans. Fakes. Or just deluded. Eitherway, it doesn't do anything at all.

It's our business because animal neglect is cruel and illegal. If an animal under your care needs medical attention then it should get medical attention, not pseudo-scientific quackery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

as we the owners have a choice who we go to with our health issues let it be on our own shoulders if things go wrong

but as an animal owner/lover I will stick with the vet for my animal care after all they cant speak for themselves we are their voice

We've been here before. What I said last time:

My vet uses homeopathy on beef and dairy cattle alongside conventional treatment, and at no extra cost to the farmer. I doubt there is a placebo effect in cattle; the treatment is usually once-off and short-term (max. 3 days) so not long enough for the animal to connect any sense of improved well-being (be it coincidental or not) with the treatment given.

I take grave offence at the expertise and knowledge of my vet (or any vet) being questioned because she is a homeopath. Clearly none of the posters that hold this view have ever actually been to a homeopathic vet with their pet.

Look at it this way:

The people on thread who have used homeopathic vets did so when conventional medicine had failed to improve the pet's condition.

Any of the vets mentioned on thread have the same expertise as any qualified vet, and have chosen to explore homeopathy in addition to their continuing professional education.

Paying a homeopathic vet is no different than paying a vet who doesn't practise homeopathy. In essence, seeing a homeopathic vet when other treatments have failed is essentially a referral. The homeopathic vet will fully review the case history and treatments given to date that have proven ineffective.
    The pet's progress will be monitored by the homeopathic vet and any deterioration in their condition will be treated.

So again I ask: What is the harm to these pets? These are caring, competent owners who have exhausted other treatment avenues. The homeopathic vet is a professional, bound by the Veterinary Council of Ireland. Tom Farrington for example is widely-held in high regard by other Irish vets, regardless of their own views on homeopathy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Don't have the slightest belief in homeopathy myself but if people think it works for them fair enough, I'll keep me mouth shut.

This courtesy however does not extend when the health of an animal in your charge is in question. You don't get to project your alternative views on an animal that has no say in the matter and may suffer for it.

Take your pet to a veterinarian please.

• Advertisement

As above, animal homeopathy as described by the OP is practiced by licensed veterinarians using it as an adjunct to conventional treatment. They are bound by the oath taken at registration to uphold the animal's welfare as paramount and to do no harm.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement