Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet Homeopath

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,321 ✭✭✭✭endacl

boomerang wrote: »
    As above, animal homeopathy as described by the OP is practiced by licensed veterinarians using it as an adjunct to conventional treatment. They are bound by the oath taken at registration to uphold the animal's welfare as paramount and to do no harm.

Couldn't find one for Ireland. I'd presume though, if one exists, it might read similar to that of the American Veterinary Medical Association:

"Being admitted to the profession of veterinary medicine, I solemnly swear to use my scientific knowledge and skills for the benefit of society through the protection of animal health and welfare, the prevention and relief of animal suffering, the conservation of animal resources, the promotion of public health, and the advancement of medical knowledge.

I will practice my profession conscientiously, with dignity, and in keeping with the principles of veterinary medical ethics. I accept as a lifelong obligation the continual improvement of my professional knowledge and competence."

The part I've bolded is pertinent of course to the practice of quackery in the field. The 'use' of homeopathy is incongruous with this, unless of course the animal is being treated for mild dehydration.

As an aside, 'to do no harm'. How could a vet be required to take such an oath in the knowledge that a routine and lamentable part of their job is to euthanize often-healthy animals?

Did you just kinda make up the vet's oath bit? They're kinda like doctors, but they're not doctors. With all due and deserved respect to the profession, different rules apply.

;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

So again I ask: What is the harm to these pets?

My vet just whips out her wand, waves it, and and says "Curio Animalis!"

What harm can it do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Not one of you has asked the OP why they want to try homoeopathy but instead accuse them of cutely and neglect?!

tk123 wrote: »
    Not one of you has asked the OP why they want to try homoeopathy but instead accuse them of cutely and neglect

It doesn't matter why. If the OP wanted to use prayer, Harry Potter Magic, Wiccan rituals, meditation or healing crystals, we'd say the same thing: go to a real vet.

As noted in the thread, there are vets who will do homeopathy alongside real veterinary medicine - this does no harm (since homeopathic meds are just water), and it may make the OP feel better about the bill.

Personally, since it cannot possibly help the animal, I think the OP should actively avoid vets who advertise it, since they either believe in it (and are therefore crackpots), or they are dosing with water and pretending to believe in it, and are misleading people.

The real thing to avoid, though, is someone who does homeopathy instead of real treatment, as opposed to just alongside it, since that is the same as not treating the sick animal at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

We've been here before. What I said last time:

My vet uses homeopathy on beef and dairy cattle alongside conventional treatment, and at no extra cost to the farmer. I doubt there is a placebo effect in cattle; the treatment is usually once-off and short-term (max. 3 days) so not long enough for the animal to connect any sense of improved well-being (be it coincidental or not) with the treatment given.

I take grave offence at the expertise and knowledge of my vet (or any vet) being questioned because she is a homeopath. Clearly none of the posters that hold this view have ever actually been to a homeopathic vet with their pet.

Look at it this way:

The people on thread who have used homeopathic vets did so when conventional medicine had failed to improve the pet's condition.

Any of the vets mentioned on thread have the same expertise as any qualified vet, and have chosen to explore homeopathy in addition to their continuing professional education.

Paying a homeopathic vet is no different than paying a vet who doesn't practise homeopathy. In essence, seeing a homeopathic vet when other treatments have failed is essentially a referral. The homeopathic vet will fully review the case history and treatments given to date that have proven ineffective.
    The pet's progress will be monitored by the homeopathic vet and any deterioration in their condition will be treated.

So again I ask: What is the harm to these pets? These are caring, competent owners who have exhausted other treatment avenues. The homeopathic vet is a professional, bound by the Veterinary Council of Ireland. Tom Farrington for example is widely-held in high regard by other Irish vets, regardless of their own views on homeopathy.

A) You haven't the slightest notion if they've exhausted other options or not. They might say "Oooh, poor Poodles has a horrible skin infection! My homeopath/reiki druid priestess helped mine out last year, I'll find one for dear Poodles."

B) If a vet has so poor an understanding of science and medicine that they think water can do anything except satisfy thirst then how on Earth can you trust them to know that medicine A is better than medicine B, or procedure C is safer than procedure D? How can I trust their competency if they basically believe in magic?

It's nonsense and no one should be using it. It doesn't do anything!
    Not one of you has asked the OP why they want to try homoeopathy but instead accuse them of cutely and neglect?!

We've suggested they take their animal to see a real vet. It doesn't matter why they want to see a homeopath, they shouldn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Zillah wrote: »
    A
    We've suggested they take their animal to see a real vet. It doesn't matter why they want to see a homeopath, they shouldn't.

It's none of your business though? Also you're in API not skeptics corner and are shoving your opinions in everyone's face.
    I for one would be interested to know why the OP is thinking of trying it and what benefits they're hoping to see - that's if you lot haven't scared them off? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

It's none of your business though? Also you're in API not skeptics corner and are shoving your opinions in everyone's face.
    I for one would be interested to know why the OP is thinking of trying it and what benefits they're hoping to see - that's if you lot haven't scared them off? :mad:

Animal neglect is everyones business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Animal welfare is everyone's business. No one should be using magic water to treat illness. Homeopathy should join all the other nonsensical fakery in the history books, not taken seriously.

Do you think homeopathy is real?

Also you're in API not skeptics corner and are shoving your opinions in everyone's face.

It's not an opinion, look it up. Homeopathy "works" like this:

Patient has a temperature. "Allopathic" doctors say we treat this with meds which lower temperature. Homeopaths say no, the fever is the body's reaction to illness, it is fighting illness with fever, so we should help by giving the patient something to drive their temperature up.

Unfortunately, this tends to kill the patient. No problem, say the homeopaths, we'll dilute the meds with special water. Hmm, still hurting, not helping. OK, we'll dilute the meds so far that not one single solitary molecule of the harmful meds remain - now it can't hurt!

How can it help? Magic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

As many of you seem completely incapable of conducting a reasoned discussion about Homeopathy without resorting to accusing the OP of cruelty and neglect, the thread is closed until I hear from the OP otherwise.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement