Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

advice needed

• 23-02-2014 4:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭

So i tried stronglifts for 12 weeks then did 2 cycles of all pros but i never really enjoyed doing the workouts. they did work but i just didnt enjoy them so i decided to make my own routine for myself. would love some feed back?

Day 1 back/triceps
    deadlift
    barbell row
    one arm row
    lat pulldown
    low row
    close grip bench
    tricep pushdown superset (wide grip,close grip under hand grip)

Day 2 shoulder/traps
    overhead press
    front shoulder raise
    side cable raise
    shoulder press
    upright row
    db shrugs
    barbell shrugs
    seated shrugs
    rear shrug

Day 3 legs/abs
    front squat
    stiff leg deadlift
    leg extenstions
    leg curls
    calf raises
    decline sit ups
    knelling cable crunch
    frog crunch
    planks

Day 4 chest/bicep
    bench press/push up sets
    decline press
    incline db flys
    incline db press
    barbell curl
    db hammer curl
    db curl
    preacher curl

im going to do 4 sets of 8-12 reps with 60 second rests
    on two of the non leg days i will do 15-20 mins run/jog.

please give me some advice on what you think and please dont offer someone elses routine as i feel i will work better on one i created myself.

thanks for reading

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,670 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Just out of interest, why do you think you'll be more enthused about a set a exercises that you've put together yourself as opposed to a set of exercises put together by someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

Thats a hell of a lot of different exercises and a ****load of volume at 4 sets each. You also have some exercises made redundant by others. ie so many curls, 3 kinds of rows, 4 kinds of shrugs and 3 exercises mainly targeting the anterior delt.

Stronglifts and All Pro are both moderate volume at best. With this routine, there will definitely come a point where you're bored in the gym. Plus, you wont be able to maintain any kind of decent intensity past a certain point.

But go for it. It could work.

btw wide grip, underhand pushdowns are pointless. The tricep isnt affected by the angle of your lower arm like the bicep is. All pushdowns are essentially the same...unless of course you throw in some shoulder extension to start the movement ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

Thats a hell of a lot of different exercises and a ****load of volume at 4 sets each. You also have some exercises made redundant by others. ie so many curls, 3 kinds of rows, 4 kinds of shrugs and 3 exercises mainly targeting the anterior delt.

Stronglifts and All Pro are both moderate volume at best. With this routine, there will definitely come a point where you're bored in the gym. Plus, you wont be able to maintain any kind of decent intensity past a certain point.

But go for it. It could work.

btw wide grip, underhand pushdowns are pointless. The tricep isnt affected by the angle of your lower arm like the bicep is. All pushdowns are essentially the same...unless of course you throw in some shoulder extension to start the movement ;)

This is the kind of info i was looking for so what would you change?

What kind of goal do you have in mind: strength or muscle-building?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 JamesRussel

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    This is the kind of info i was looking for so what would you change?

Well most upper lower are broken into upper/lower or push/pull.

The former would usually be horizontal upper (bench & row), vertical upper (press&pullups), hip dominant(deadlift) and knee dominant(Squat) days..and then whatever accessories you would like to add in to help the main lift.
    The latter would be pretty obvious. Push: squat, bench, press and Pull: deadlift, row, pullup.

There are plenty of routines for each on the internet. There is rarely if ever a need to make your own routine. PHAT and 5/3/1 are the most popular, though i dont doubt there are more less popular yet just as effective ones.

As long as a routine has a variation of squat, bench, deadlift, press, chins and rows with accessory work for the abs and arms then anyone using it, so long as they always aim to progress, will make gains.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

What kind of goal do you have in mind: strength or muscle-building?

Muscle building

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    Muscle building

Then you need to vary the number of reps you're doing in a set...include more sets in the 3-5 rep range. Especially with the big compounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

Then you need to vary the number of reps you're doing in a set...include more sets in the 3-5 rep range. Especially with the big compounds.

I presume you mean 10-12 rep range?

Squatman wrote: »
    I presume you mean 10-12 rep range?

Correct. I completely misread it.

I'm blaming sleep deprivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ptjohn

way too many exercises imo. 2-3 exercises per muscle group is fine. These ridiculous volume programs do work but i would consider this much more of a metabolic adaptation where alot of the size is going to relative to increased glycogen storage. Be aware that you can double normal muscular glycogen stores (aprox 500gms) and that each gram of glycogen is going to take 3 grams water molecules with it also. So an added 500gms glycogen plus 1500 grams retained water will give you 2kg (again aproximations) which could essentially just be "fluff".

I've done GVT and ive noticed that alot of the size i put on seemed to due to the above, as i lost it when i switched to 5x5. Again although there was 26 total sets with the GVT program only 2 exercises per body part.

Focus on strength and the size will come. Again strength increases can be caused by alot of different variables but eventually those muscle fibres are going to have to increase in size. You can cycle in higher volume weeks into your periodization of course but always look to increase your 1RM whether it is via 10 rep training or 3 rep training etc etc.

I would reccomend the ICF novice 5x5 program, much simpler, solid basis and gets some pretty good results. The fact that you are training the main barbell lifts frequently allows for much more frequent muscle fibre adaption, far greater neuromuscular adaptations to the lifts and far more proficiency with these major lifts also.

• Advertisement
Advertisement