Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tenancy issues

Options
  • 23-02-2014 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi, long story, background here, skip if you like: so I got a new lease on a house this month, due to issues with previous housemates, and the landlady said she was just putting my name down on the lease, so I'm subletting to the other housemates. Fair enough, I'm responsible enough and it makes things easier for her.Then two of the housemates pulled out last min, so we had to get two other people to replace them, one older gentleman, and a younger lad on social welfare - fair enough I've friends on social welfare, not gonna hold that against him.

Except he moved in, last Sun, and there's been serious issues already. Firstly he asks if he can smoke in the house, even just out his window. I said no, he has to smoke outside (having lived with people who did this before, and it ruined my health for while). Tues I don't come home, he catches wind of this, and smokes inside, thinking he can get away with it. My friend(one of the original housemate), and the older gentleman, inform me of this when I return as they, too, are unhappy about this. So on wed, when he said he would give me money(as part of our agreement), he shorts me by €40. I tell him that smoking in the house is a strict rule, and that I'm unhappy that he didn't give me the agreed amount. He apologizes and wanders off to his room, I say no more, but am a bit upset about this. He put his shoes in the dryer that day before I got home, they'd been soaked through. I didn't really pay too much attention to that other than shut the door to the Utility room to dull down the noise of it. The next day I go to put some of my clothes into the dryer to finish them off, only to discover bits of shoe all over it, and a horrific smell. I try and clean it out, but it was so bad I actually had to go throw up, so that was bad start to the day. When I get home that night, the older gentleman informs me that when he got home the house was left unlocked and no-one home. Apparently the younger lad(who is roughly my own age btw) had been in too much of a hurry to bother locking the front door. Also there was human feces over the upstairs toliet...
    I've not been home for the weekend, but I was on the phone to
    one of the housemates there, and, he burnt almost an entire packet of firelighters, borrowed a heater(which he'd already damaged) and left it plugged in his room, with his door locked and him not at home, so she turned off the trip switch to the upstairs, and with a note explaining it, so the bill wouldn't be run up while no-one was home. He's also broken a cd player belonging to the older gentleman, and eating all our food. I've had enough, adn the other two are fed up, so I'm going to serve him an anti-social order tonight and tell him he has to move out.

That's just the bare outline of what he's done, but I just want to check that I'm doing things right.

I can't live with someone using and destroying my/our possessions, and can't trust, and the other two housemates have had plenty of complaints about him, in just a week. Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭e.r

There's your coat mate good luck !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

As he is subletting, he is a licensee and as such has virtually no rights. Give him as much or as little time as you like, but tell him that he has X days/hours to pack up his stuff and find somewhere else to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 bring your own cheese

I figured I could say what I like and he wouldn't know how to fight me on it, but I want to do things right at the same time, I don't want to go down to his level(or even somewhere in between). I'm gonna say he has to be out within the week, but I'm guessing he'll either move out in about a day(he only has the clothes on his back and his guitar), or try and squat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I figured I could say what I like and he wouldn't know how to fight me on it, but I want to do things right at the same time, I don't want to go down to his level(or even somewhere in between). I'm gonna say he has to be out within the week, but I'm guessing he'll either move out in about a day(he only has the clothes on his back and his guitar), or try and squat.
    You can change the locks and put his belongings out on the street with minimal notice if he is a licensee.

If he moves out in a day then thats a result, even if it means losing out some rent.

If he tries to squat then just change the locks, or have the Gardai remove him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭REXER

Are you getting anything out of this agreement at all or is the LL totally taking advantage of you?
    It seems like a lot of bother that you have taken on!

I didn't know about Licensees, that's really helpful, thanks!

He's used/broken so much that we're losing money by having him in the house. Btw, if anyone is looking for a room, I should have an opening soon! :P

REXER wrote: »
    Are you getting anything out of this agreement at all or is the LL totally taking advantage of you?
    It seems like a lot of bother that you have taken on!

The landlord is quite clearly taking the piss and using the OP to make their own life easier. Hopefully the OP is getting something in return (Id be wanting a fairly substantially reduced rent in order to act as the landlords live in agent, considering all the risk and hassle is on my shoulders).

The rent is pretty cheap, the house is gorgeous, I'm allowed my dog, and I'm living with my best friend, so I'm pretty happy, just for this guy to leave and get someone nicer to take his place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,957 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

djimi wrote: »
    The landlord is quite clearly taking the piss and using the OP to make their own life easier. Hopefully the OP is getting something in return (Id be wanting a fairly substantially reduced rent in order to act as the landlords live in agent, considering all the risk and hassle is on my shoulders).

Nonsense. The OP gets to choose his own housemates without the LL's interference. He gets to put plonkers out with minimal notice too.

Imagine if they'd all co-signed a lease: a-hole would have legal rights and be hard to get out, the housemates would be jointly liable for the rent he wouldn't be paying, and would have to keep living with him.

What the OP's doing is the ONLY what I'd do a houseshare.

• Advertisement

Nonsense. The OP gets to choose his own housemates without the LL's interference. He gets to put plonkers out with minimal notice too.

Imagine if they'd all co-signed a lease: a-hole would have legal rights and be hard to get out, the housemates would be jointly liable for the rent he wouldn't be paying, and would have to keep living with him.

What the OP's doing is the ONLY what I'd do a houseshare.

The OP is being asked to run the tenancy. This may suit them, and if they are getting something out of it then great, but ultimately the landlord is asking them to do this so that they can make their own life easier, not to benefit the OP.

Advertisement