Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chris froome

• 23-02-2014 4:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭

A novice rider myself so go easy on me, but Chris appears to be a freak of nature with so much power but his body is so skinny even his legs .why ? How? Is my question

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Same as pretty much every other leading athlete in pretty much every other sport - some of it is natural ability the rest of it is sheer hard work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭mitosis

A lot is natural talent, some hard work, we may not speculate what the remainder is.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

jackstaff wrote: »
    A novice rider myself so go easy on me, but Chris appears to be a freak of nature with so much power but his body is so skinny even his legs .why ? How? Is my question

I think I asked the same question about Wiggins in 2012. Couldn't believe the size of his legs.

Reading Friels power Meyer book. He gives some detail on mussle type. As I remember you have two types of muscle finer. One for stamina one for power. Genetics determine the % of each. Training bulids them up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

Maybe it's a Kenyan thing .
    He has the same body frame as a Kenyan long distance runner.

Anyway I seen him win in Oman just there pulled away on the last climb after been riding for 4hrs, wins the race, then jumps back on the bike to go higher up the mountain to cool down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Maybe it's a Kenyan thing .
    He has the same body frame as a Kenyan long distance runner.

Anyway I seen him win in Oman just there pulled away on the last climb after been riding for 4hrs, wins the race, then jumps back on the bike to go higher up the mountain to cool down

apart from being born in Kenya has he and Kenyan blood in him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

apart from being born in Kenya has he and Kenyan blood in him?

No, his father is English born and his mother's parents are both from England.

jackstaff, are you wondering why he doesn't have bigger muscles like say Chris Hoy?

Chris-Hoy_GI_2537070b.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Also Froome grew up at altitude

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭elnino23

I think its just a stamina thing! He just keeps going when others can't. But the tour showed there are days he is human when he ran out of sugar and took the penalty for gels inside last 20. Sky's tactics have a lot to do with it as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 263 ✭✭redzerredzer

Beasty wrote: »
    Same as pretty much every other leading athlete in pretty much every other sport - some of it is natural ability the rest of it is sheer hard work

There is a terrible preemptive tone in your answer.
    I think his question is how can somebody who is so gruesomely unhealthy looking be so powerful.
    Even by pro cycling standards he is terrifyingly skinny. He looks like he should snap on impact of a pedal yet he wins time trials which (I think) traditionally are won by bigger cyclists.
    How can he generate such power when he is the skinniest athlete in the world?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 313 ✭✭jackstaff

No, his father is English born and his mother's parents are both from England.

jackstaff, are you wondering why he doesn't have bigger muscles like say Chris Hoy?

Chris-Hoy_GI_2537070b.jpg

Well not like hoy exactly as I understand his cycling is more explosive sprinting.
    I just seen him on the podium and he doesn't look well nourished, how can those skinny little things create so much power and endurance

• Advertisement

Well not like hoy exactly as I understand his cycling is more explosive sprinting.
    I just seen him on the podium and he doesn't look well nourished, how can those skinny little things create so much power and endurance

Consistency. He has become a smarter rider. He looks more at his cycle computer than the road. He knows how many watts he can sustain and doesnt use any more energy than requires

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭tomdempsey200

godtabh wrote: »
    Consistency. He has become a smarter rider. He looks more at his cycle computer than the road. He knows how many watts he can sustain and doesnt use any more energy than requires

lol..

lol..

At what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Max_Charger

lol..

Fantastic input to the discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

lol..

Keep it constructive or don't bother, thanks.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,653 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

OK certain posters who should know better are attempting to turn this into a doping discussion. Continue down that route and not only will cards and bans follow, but the thread will be closed

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

As a matter of interest, do Sky release power figures for their riders? I didn't think they did.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

If you look at sky's line up they're very clever with their selection they really keep their gc man fresher than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

He looks like he should snap on impact of a pedal yet he wins time trials which (I think) traditionally are won by bigger cyclists.
    Individual time trials are steady-state aerobic. Aerobic muscle is thin.

I've no strong opinion about Froome's performances though. They are what they are until they're not.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Brian? wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, do Sky release power figures for their riders? I didn't think they did.

No they don't, they have this idea that the other team's might learn something. What that might be I am not sure. If Froome is putting out X amount of watt's and kicking everyone's butts, what are the other teams going to learn?? You learn you need X amount of watts to match Froome but how do get your athlete to reach that level if they are currently unable to do so. That is the SKY secret.

• Advertisement

elnino23 wrote: »
    If you look at sky's line up they're very clever with their selection they really keep their gc man fresher than most.
    Like Team GB they seem to have basically taken their professionalism to a new level and are reaping the rewards

Like Team GB they seem to have basically taken their professionalism to a new level and are reaping the rewards
    Absolutely. It's all about spaceboots and pillows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Does sky have the biggest budget?

A lot of other teams have the odd training camp but generally in the off season riders are left to train alone, Sky changed that and are a much more professional outfit riders are left to train to a degree but they have very precise programs to complete and in turn they win simple!! Hard work and tactics = win

how come they are pretty crap outside of the tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

How come they were so crap at the Tour after Aix-3-Domaine last year. Porte came around a bit again but the rest were invisible.

Maybe winning the biggest race on the planet was their priority;)

Maybe winning the biggest race on the planet was their priority;)

hardly a professional attitude to have just one race in mind a feck the rest of the races :)

hardly a professional attitude to have just one race in mind a feck the rest of the races :)
    They didn't though - as I said the Tour was their priority. They won other races as well and failed to win some. The last thing you can accuse Sky of is a lack of professional attitute!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭BadCharlie

Maybe they don't have a strong enough team to win other tours. Some peeps here think they should win all tours cause they won tour de frace two in a row.

I feel apart Crome Porte and froome, the team was weak in last years tour.

They didn't though - as I said the Tour was their priority. They won other races as well and failed to win some. The last thing you can accuse Sky of is a lack of professional attitute!!

I would expect every professional cyclist to have a professional attitude. Can you point me in the direction of the unprofessional teams and cyclists?

I would expect every professional cyclist to have a professional attitude. Can you point me in the direction of the unprofessional teams and cyclists?
    I said they's taken professionalism to a new level - simple as that

And im saying their results outside the tour suggest this is not the case - simple as that.

You don't know it's as simple as that, because you don't work for Team Sky. You're just speculating.

Lumen wrote: »
    You don't know it's as simple as that, because you don't work for Team Sky. You're just speculating.
    Absolutely, hence my insertion of the words "seem to" in front;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Why is Wayne Rooney so good at football?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Reason why they 'peak' for the Tour is quite simple, it really is the only race that matters in professional cycling. The other grand tours are like the national leagues in Ireland. Nice to win either of them but really they are only considered a stepping stone for later in the season or the following season depending on the grand tour involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think Chris Froome is entirely made out of elbows. Just look at him pedalling... elbows everywhere.

Chris-Froome-riding-for-T-008.jpg

porte-froome-marquee-654x440.jpg

Chris-Froome-659x440.jpg

froome-tour-de-france-wiggins-evans-stage-7.jpg

spz14.vueltaaespana.179860_670.jpg

Reason why they 'peak' for the Tour is quite simple, it really is the only race that matters in professional cycling. The other grand tours are like the national leagues in Ireland. Nice to win either of them but really they are only considered a stepping stone for later in the season or the following season depending on the grand tour involved.

Eh, no.

Seems like plenty of wins to me?

Date Race Competition Rider Country Location
    23 January Tour Down Under, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia Rostrevor
    27 January Tour Down Under, Sprints classification UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia
    15 February Tour of Oman, Stage 5 UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman Boshar
    16 February Tour of Oman, Overall UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Tour of Oman, Points classification UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Volta ao Algarve, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Portugal Alto do Malhão
    8 March Paris–Nice, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France La Montagne de Lure
    9 March Tirreno–Adriatico, Stage 4 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Italy Prati di Tivo
    10 March Paris–Nice, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Col d'Èze
    10 March Paris–Nice, Overall UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    23 March Critérium International, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Porto-Vecchio
    24 March Critérium International, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Col de l'Ospedale
    24 March Critérium International, Overall UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    24 March Critérium International, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    3 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Spain Trapagaran
    5 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) Spain Beasain
    16 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 1b UCI Europe Tour Team time trial[N 1] Austria Lienz
    17 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Kanstantsin Sivtsov (BLR) Italy Vetriolo Terme
    23 April Tour de Romandie, Prologue UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland Bruson
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 2] Switzerland
    5 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Team time trial[N 3] Italy Forio
    14 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 10 UCI World Tour Rigoberto Urán (COL) Italy Altopiano del Montasio
    18 May Glava Tour of Norway, Stage 4 UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway Lillehammer
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Overall UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    26 May Giro d'Italia, Trofeo Fast Team UCI World Tour [N 3] Italy
    4 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) France Tarare
    6 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Valmorel
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 4] France
    6 July Tour de France, Stage 8 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Ax 3 Domaines
    14 July Tour de France, Stage 15 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Mont Ventoux
    17 July Tour de France, Stage 17 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Chorges
    21 July Tour de France, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    3 August Tour de Pologne, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Poland Kraków
    17 August Eneco Tour, Stage 6 UCI World Tour David López (ESP) Belgium La Redoute–Aywaille
    12 September Vuelta a España, Stage 18 UCI World Tour Vasil Kiryienka (BLR) Spain Peña Cabarga
    17 September Tour of Britain, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain Knowsley
    22 September Tour of Britain, Overall UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain
    22 September Tour of Britain, Teams classification UCI Europe Tour [N 5] Great Britain

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Eh, no.

Do you see Froome doing even two grand tours in a calendar year? He did well in The Vuelta one year and then The Tour becomes his only focus.

Do you see Froome doing even two grand tours in a calendar year? He did well in The Vuelta one year and then The Tour becomes his only focus.
    it really is the only race that matters in professional cycling. The other grand tours are like the national leagues in Ireland. Nice to win either of them but really they are only considered a stepping stone for later in the season or the following season depending on the grand tour involved.

This is the bit that I am disagreeing with.

Raam wrote: »
    This is the bit that I am disagreeing with.

Fair enough. What other races really matter though? I watched The Armstrong Lie yesterday and he said when he recovered from the treatment that the one day events were worth nothing, that the tour was all that mattered. Think the same applies to the likes of Wiggins/Froome. Everything else is just a stepping stone.

Look at Wiggins last year. The Giro was supposed to be his focus but his heart didn't ever really appear to be in it. He had reached the top of the sport.

Quintana is focusing on another grand tour and not doing the tour de france! Seems like if you want to win a grand tour you can only really focus on one? Sky choose the tour cos it has better media coverage would be my guess. Money and sponsors rule!

I watched The Armstrong Lie yesterday and he said when he recovered from the treatment that the one day events were worth nothing, that the tour was all that mattered.
    ...to Lance.

Fair enough. What other races really matter though? I watched The Armstrong Lie yesterday and he said when he recovered from the treatment that the one day events were worth nothing, that the tour was all that mattered. Think the same applies to the likes of Wiggins/Froome. Everything else is just a stepping stone.

Look at Wiggins last year. The Giro was supposed to be his focus but his heart didn't ever really appear to be in it. He had reached the top of the sport.

Different races matter to different riders.

That's rubbish sir Bradley was busy living the pop star lifestyle and had not done the work pre season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Even if he still checks out in 10 years he still is one of the most uninteresting and uninspiring people that have ever won the tour.

elnino23 wrote: »
    Seems like plenty of wins to me?

Date Race Competition Rider Country Location
    23 January Tour Down Under, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia Rostrevor
    27 January Tour Down Under, Sprints classification UCI World Tour Geraint Thomas (GBR) Australia
    15 February Tour of Oman, Stage 5 UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman Boshar
    16 February Tour of Oman, Overall UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Tour of Oman, Points classification UCI Asia Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Oman
    16 February Volta ao Algarve, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Portugal Alto do Malhão
    8 March Paris–Nice, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France La Montagne de Lure
    9 March Tirreno–Adriatico, Stage 4 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Italy Prati di Tivo
    10 March Paris–Nice, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Col d'Èze
    10 March Paris–Nice, Overall UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    23 March Critérium International, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France Porto-Vecchio
    24 March Critérium International, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Col de l'Ospedale
    24 March Critérium International, Overall UCI Europe Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    24 March Critérium International, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Richie Porte (AUS) France
    3 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Sergio Henao (COL) Spain Trapagaran
    5 April Tour of the Basque Country, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Richie Porte (AUS) Spain Beasain
    16 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 1b UCI Europe Tour Team time trial[N 1] Austria Lienz
    17 April Giro del Trentino, Stage 2 UCI Europe Tour Kanstantsin Sivtsov (BLR) Italy Vetriolo Terme
    23 April Tour de Romandie, Prologue UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland Bruson
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) Switzerland
    28 April Tour de Romandie, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 2] Switzerland
    5 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 2 UCI World Tour Team time trial[N 3] Italy Forio
    14 May Giro d'Italia, Stage 10 UCI World Tour Rigoberto Urán (COL) Italy Altopiano del Montasio
    18 May Glava Tour of Norway, Stage 4 UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway Lillehammer
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Overall UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    19 May Glava Tour of Norway, Points classification UCI Europe Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) Norway
    26 May Giro d'Italia, Trofeo Fast Team UCI World Tour [N 3] Italy
    4 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 3 UCI World Tour Edvald Boasson Hagen (NOR) France Tarare
    6 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Stage 5 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Valmorel
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    9 June Critérium du Dauphiné, Teams classification UCI World Tour [N 4] France
    6 July Tour de France, Stage 8 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Ax 3 Domaines
    14 July Tour de France, Stage 15 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Mont Ventoux
    17 July Tour de France, Stage 17 UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France Chorges
    21 July Tour de France, Overall UCI World Tour Chris Froome (GBR) France
    3 August Tour de Pologne, Stage 7 UCI World Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Poland Kraków
    17 August Eneco Tour, Stage 6 UCI World Tour David López (ESP) Belgium La Redoute–Aywaille
    12 September Vuelta a España, Stage 18 UCI World Tour Vasil Kiryienka (BLR) Spain Peña Cabarga
    17 September Tour of Britain, Stage 3 UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain Knowsley
    22 September Tour of Britain, Overall UCI Europe Tour Bradley Wiggins (GBR) Great Britain
    22 September Tour of Britain, Teams classification UCI Europe Tour [N 5] Great Britain

your know people are struggling to make a point when they start talking about stage wins in the UCI Europe Tour

That's rubbish sir Bradley was busy living the pop star lifestyle and had not done the work pre season

Exactly. His heart wasn't in it. Be interesting to see if he gets anywhere near achieving his stated targets for this year.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement