Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel Phonewatch

Options
  • 23-02-2014 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

I had a look to see if this has been asked already and I don't think it has.

I have Phonewatch almost three years, so I'm nearly at the end of the contract.
    I phoned them to enquire about cancelling and they told me to ring back closer to the end of the contract, and they would see what they could do regarding the price.

Has anybody any experience in this?
    Will the reduce the price by much?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

I recently transferred a Phone Watch system to another monitoring company. The client got an invoice for €340 from PW, we connected him to a local company, who charge half that price.

PW client's really have to realise that they do have a choice and that any other central station can monitor PW panel's.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

OPs post edited. As the notice says Phonewatch is no longer owned by Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭touts

I had a look to see if this has been asked already and I don't think it has.

I have Phonewatch almost three years, so I'm nearly at the end of the contract.
    I phoned them to enquire about cancelling and they told me to ring back closer to the end of the contract, and they would see what they could do regarding the price.

Has anybody any experience in this?
    Will the reduce the price by much?

They originally quoted me €390 and when I said I was cancelling they offered me €20 off. I don't think they are even trying any more.

I changed the system over to phone my mobile if the alarm goes off. The instructions are in an earlier thread here (do a search and you should find it) and I got some great advice from others on here. Phonewatch phoned me and I told them I was not renewing (that was then the offer of €20 off was made but I told them it was too late). Then I got a few snotty letters from phonewatch demanding that I ring them to make an appointment for one of their engineers to come out and disable the system but I ignored them. Eventually they phoned me asking to have an engineer come out to disable the system and I told the girl on the phone that it had been switched over to phone me instead. She said that it was not technically possible to do that and I told her it was. After a brief discussion where she tried to scare me into staying with them I just said they were way too expensive, I had switched and there was no point in continuing the discussion.

No sane person should stay with Phonewatch especially when you can get the system to provide the same service for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,717 ✭✭✭✭altor

touts wrote: »
    Then I got a few snotty letters from phonewatch demanding that I ring them to make an appointment for one of their engineers to come out and disable the system but I ignored them. Eventually they phoned me asking to have an engineer come out to disable the system and I told the girl on the phone that it had been switched over to phone me instead. She said that it was not technically possible to do that and I told her it was. After a brief discussion where she tried to scare me into staying with them I just said they were way too expensive, I had switched and there was no point in continuing the discussion..

Have to laugh at the letters then send out. The amount of people on here that have there numbers deleted and the system set up to ring there mobile but still get the letter saying we need to arrange for an engineer to disconnect from our monitoring station as you are being charged for the call. Even tho they would know there is no test calls going into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 fredt

Hey all,

Recently cancelled phonewatch for my mother and now they want to charge for an engineer to come out. I'd love to either just remove pw number from the alarm and/or have it contact my mobile instead if possible. It looks like a securewatch hkc but i'm not 100% sure on that and have 0% of a clue on how to delete/change the phone number.

Ftl4Ga9.jpg

Thanks in advance (and sorry if bumping threads is frowned upon)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

fredt wrote: »
    Hey all,

Recently cancelled phonewatch for my mother and now they want to charge for an engineer to come out. I'd love to either just remove pw number from the alarm and/or have it contact my mobile instead if possible. It looks like a securewatch hkc but i'm not 100% sure on that and have 0% of a clue on how to delete/change the phone number.

Ftl4Ga9.jpg

You are lucky, you have a HKC 8/12 by the looks of it.
    Tell PW you do not want and will not allow one of their lads to disconnect it as you will be charged.
    Get onto them and find out the engineer code and sign what ever waiver form they want you to sign.
    Once that is done one of us will gladly help you out with setting this system up for text monitoring or whatever you prefer.

Hey all,

Ftl4Ga9.jpg

Your not the only one in this situation. It is a way for them to extract extra money from you as your leaving there service. The letter they send is sent even when customers change to a cheaper monitoring service. They are not receiving test calls but still chance there arm. They also have the ability to dial into your system to remove these numbers without the need for a call out.

The 8/12 can also be set up to text your phone rather than contacting the monitoring station if you have a Eircom or vodafone as your service provider.

I have sent you a P.M. re the engineer code.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I have the same keypad as the one above - can I just clarify as this is news to me - if I cancel PW I can change the number over to be my mobile? can you add more than 1 number? are PW obliged to give me the engineers code once I cancel?

I have the same keypad as the one above - can I just clarify as this is news to me - if I cancel PW I can change the number over to be my mobile? can you add more than 1 number? are PW obliged to give me the engineers code once I cancel?

The engineer code does not tie you into P.W. Once you have the paperwork you have the code in most cases.
    Once the system is an 8/12 connected to an Eircom or Vodafone line then it can be set up to text your phone and others.
    They will give a minimal discount from experience.
    If you do cancel make sure cancel any direct debit as they still take the money.

Cheers guys.

Basically I'm trying to do what a lot of people seem to have done i.e moving from eircom,phonewatch,upc to just upc and self-monitored. I appreciate having the alarm call through upc is a different proposition but for now my main focus is avoiding the engineer calling out and subsequent charge.

Thanks again

• Advertisement

Cheers guys.

Basically I'm trying to do what a lot of people seem to have done i.e moving from eircom,phonewatch,upc to just upc and self-monitored. I appreciate having the alarm call through upc is a different proposition but for now my main focus is avoiding the engineer calling out and subsequent charge.

Thanks again

The dialer for this system will not text over UPC. You could add a voice dialer to use with UPC. There should be no need for an engineer to call out once you have the paperwork off your system you can easily go into engineering then into the serial port menu to default the dialer and that will delete the numbers.

altor wrote: »
    The dialer for this system will not text over UPC. You could add a voice dialer to use with UPC. There should be no need for an engineer to call out once you have the paperwork off your system you can easily go into engineering then into the serial port menu to default the dialer and that will delete the numbers.

Yeah I thought as much re not being able to use upc.

Thanks so much for the help. Above and beyond the call of duty!

:cool:

Yeah I thought as much re not being able to use upc.

Thanks so much for the help. Above and beyond the call of duty!

:cool:

Your welcome, all easy when you know how :D
    Any other problems let us know :)

Advertisement