Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unknown plant - ID help please

• 23-02-2014 6:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

I am sure this is some kind of phormium of cordyline but some help with a species ID help would b great. Thank you :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Norfolk Enchants_

Hort101 wrote: »
    I am sure this is some kind of phormium of cordyline but some help with a species ID help would b great. Thank you :)
    It's a cordyline australis, don't know the exact variety but it's looks like the common one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

It's a cordyline australis, don't know the exact variety but it's looks like the common one.
    Isn't Australis the red/brown one?

Cedrus wrote: »
    Isn't Australis the red/brown one?
    No, australis is the species, afaik it goes genus-species-variety.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Hort101

Great.... i have 200 of them for sale.. :P

Would you have any ideas for planting these??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have quiet a few of them in my garden, they are fast growers,
    plant them as you would any other plant, dig hole, put in and backfill, they are tough plants,

their disadvantages,
    they are always dropping their leaves once they grow high enough for wind to fling them around, they are bit of bother when mowing the lawn, these leaves wind themselves around the shaft of blade and are like rope to cut, as much as i rake lawn it still happens,
    i have started to cut them back and they come more healthy after cutting right back to within 2 feet of ground,

Great.... i have 200 of them for sale.. :P
    Serious question, how did you end up with 200 of these and you're not even sure what they are?, sounds abit dodge TBH, did they fall off the back of a lorry or something?.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

Serious question, how did you end up with 200 of these and you're not even sure what they are?, sounds abit dodge TBH, did they fall off the back of a lorry or something?.

Second that

My uncle does some plant propagation. he grew them a couple of years ago and could not get rid of them. iv a small hobbie nursery out the back that fills in some spare time. i am also doing a course in horticulture so i wouldnt mind trying to sell a few plants to make a few euro so it wont always be a dead loss. if it comes to it. they will be dumped. i didnt see the plants in person so didnt have a full idea of what they where. he only sent me pictures. thats why i used this web site for some help to be sure. thank you for your reply :)

My uncle does some plant propagation. he grew them a couple of years ago and could not get rid of them. iv a small hobbie nursery out the back that fills in some spare time. i am also doing a course in horticulture so i wouldnt mind trying to sell a few plants to make a few euro so it wont always be a dead loss. if it comes to it. they will be dumped. i didnt see the plants in person so didnt have a full idea of what they where. he only sent me pictures. thats why i used this web site for some help to be sure. thank you for your reply :)
    Fair enough, I take it all back, although it's abit cheeky by the uncle to give them to you now when he couldn't sell them himself.
    You're best bet to sell them is to contact a larger nursery and see if they'll give you something for them, or you could try and sell them in bulk to a garden center but they would labels and the plants to be almost perfectly formed, you're best bet is to sell them privately although easier said then done.
    Cordylines aren't that popular for reasons stated above, namely dropping leaves, so finding a buyer won't be easy but GLWS anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement