Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Trying to update iOS on iphone 4.3.3

• 23-02-2014 6:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

There is no possibilty to update via wifi as on the phone this is greyed out.

Am trying to update the iOS via itunes but when I click update I get this message -

"the iphone software server cannot be contacted make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, or try again later"

Symptoms

When you try to update or restore an iPhone, iPad, or iPod in iTunes, one of the following alert messages appears:

• iPhone: "iTunes could not contact the iPhone software update server because you are not connected to the Internet. Make sure your Internet connection is active and try again."
    • iPad: "iTunes could not contact the iPad software update server because you are not connected to the Internet. Make sure your Internet connection is active and try again."
    • iPod: "iTunes could not contact the iPod software update server because you are not connected to the Internet. Make sure your Internet connection is active and try again."

Resolution

If you can access your device's settings menu and connect to Wi-Fi, install the latest version of iOS over Wi-Fi using Settings > General > Software Update. If your device is locked with a forgotten passcode or in recovery mode, you will need iTunes to restore the device.
    If one of the alert messages above appears when you try to update or restore your iOS device, connect to the Internet with your preferred web browser, and access the iTunes Store.
    If you cannot connect to the Internet with your web browser

If you can connect to the Internet, but see an error when accessing the iTunes Store

If the iTunes Store shows a blank white page

If the iTunes Store opens successfully

Additional Information

The hosts file may also be blocking gs.apple.com.
    1. Select the hosts file (normally you can find your hosts file at C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC).
    2. Click the Edit menu and choose Copy.
    3. Click the Edit menu again and choose Paste. A duplicate of the hosts file named "Copy of hosts" (Windows XP) or "hosts - Copy" (Windows Vista, 7, and 8) should appear.
    4. Drag the original hosts file to your desktop. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
    5. Drag the "Copy of hosts" (Windows XP) or "hosts - Copy" (Windows Vista, 7, and 8) to the desktop.
    6. Right-click "Copy of hosts" (Windows XP) or "hosts - Copy" (Windows Vista, 7, and 8) and choose Open. You may be asked to choose the program you want to use to open this file. Double-click Notepad.
    7. When Notepad opens, click the Edit menu and choose Select All. From the Edit menu, choose Delete.
    8. From the File menu, choose Save. Close Notepad.
    9. Drag the "Copy of hosts" (Windows XP) or "hosts - Copy" (Windows Vista, 7, and 8) file from your desktop back into the original location. If Windows needs your permission to continue, click Continue.
    10. Right-click the "Copy of hosts" (Windows XP) or "hosts - Copy" (Windows Vista, 7, and 8) file, and choose Rename.
    11. Type hosts and press Enter.
    12. Restart your computer and try connecting to the software update server.

I've gone and done the points 1-12 bove but I am still getting the same message.

Any help please? The itunes website is as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike, just keeps sending you deeper and deeper into the website but no solutions.:mad:

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,907 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Can you complete a back up via iTunes? If you can, maybe put your iPhone into DFU mode & then connect to iTunes & restore and it should be able or download the latest version of iOS available for your phone.

How long has the wifi button not been working? The chip could be fried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

What version of itunes are you on?
    Will iTunes update? (Help - Check for updates)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

What version of itunes are you on?
    Will iTunes update? (Help - Check for updates)

Hi,

Version is 10.2.1.1

No, it wont allow me update iTunes, here is the message I get - "The iTunes Update Server could not be contacted. Please check your Internet connection, or try again later"

Nowt wrong with my internet connection :confused:

Any help CathalDublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Are you using opendns/google dns?
    can you get to this address in your browser?
    http://gs.apple.com/

• Advertisement

Are you using opendns/google dns?
    can you get to this address in your browser?
    http://gs.apple.com/

Yes Google DNS (only been changed since I started this thread mind)

I can get that website, it's just a placeholder page or so it says right?

Advertisement