Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The dog **** epidemic

Options
  • 23-02-2014 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭

Seriously the amount of dog **** around Kilkenny is shocking. It is near impossible to walk from Lidl to Supervalu loughboy without stepping in some on the path... I could turn a blind eye to a bit of poop in the grass but these are serious dumps in the middle of the path.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Was driving in my car over Greensbridge, saw one classy man pick up his dogs "leavings", excellent I thought, man aware of his civic responsibilities. That was until he left the bag on the bridge and walked off.

It's not great how many people don't bother, but a few more dog bins or even normal bins, wouldn't go amiss either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Its rank alright. Loads on the kells road and ring road too.

Was running in both Galway and Dublin over the past week and it was fcuking everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Has to be serious questions asked about the councils enforcement team. The have only caught one person this year!!!:rolleyes:

There really is no excuse...you can get free pooper scoopers from the library.

I think it should be case that if you are walking a dog & you don't have a bag then you should be fined €40 on the spot.

http://www.kilkennypeople.ie/news/kilkenny-news/dog-owner-fined-on-the-spot-as-council-cracks-down-on-fouling-1-4972334

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Chinasea

Nationwide lack of law enforcement.

County Councils need to get out from behind their desks and start making their presence known.

In the 40 odd years I have been out and about with my dogs, not once have I been asked to produce my dog licences nor have I seen anyone with any authority on the streets or in the parks proactively reprimand the endemic dog fouling offenders.

A few flimsy little plastic signs hung to street lamp post etc., ain't working.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Its a nationwide issue,
    Dog owners just don't care and its not just the council who can't be arsed...either can the OPW.

Castle Park has a rule that dogs must be on leads, most dog owners don't seem to bother with this. Even though cleanup stations for dogs are available in the castle park I've never seen anybody use them or even take a bag from one of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

Agree completely. Recently picked up some on my shoe and wasn't aware till I got home, it was in my car and I tracked it into the house also. You can imagine the curses and I am a dog owner but I pick up after my dogs. Why can't everyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

To tackle this problem all the authorities would need to do would be blitz the key 'dog walking' times of the day at the key 'dog walking' spots around the city for a couple of months and things would improve imo.

Couple this with ample free public provision of scoops/bags AND bins (the last ones in the peace park a few years ago were burnt out) and you have a chance at seeing some improvement!

Traffic wardens I believe have the power to issue fines for dog fouling, how proactive are they with this?

dog%20s%2A%2At.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

Was there during the summer lovey town but the s---e everywhere was off putting

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

yeah big messy problem all over ireland not just KK - I think we still struggle with the notion of civic pride & responsibility here - for some reason we always seem to want to blame the council or someone else for our own failures.
    Would anyone here confront someone or ask them to clean up if they saw someone let their dog take a crap on the street? I'd love to think i would but I'd probably just settle for a strongly worded dirty look....

• Registered Users Posts: 27 green jay

Good idea Pueblo but would they do it. It would probably take a councillor falling on his or her face in a pile of **** before any action taken

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭kikel

Always someone else's problem, if ya feel so strongly about it, don't wait for the council or some else to clean it up. Scoop that poop yourself. :D:pac::P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

The worst thing about it is it's completely smeared into the ground in most cases . This is concerning for a number of reasons.
    1. It's been there for a long time and nobody, not least the owners has took it upon themselves to clean it up.
    2. Someone has stepped in it and inevitably brought it inside with them.

If you think about it, the problem goes beyond the obvious cosmetic one. With so much of it being bought inside from people's shoes there could be health risks as well. I wouldn't be surprised come tourist season if some young people/volunteers are employed to go around picking it up, similar to what is done with rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

You know that training thing about rubbing a dogs face in it's own pee/poo? Now try and imagine an appropriate punishment for offending dog owners...:-)

Advertisement