Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

would you cull a ewe who had 2 still born lambs

• 23-02-2014 9:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭

As the heading suggests, I had 2 ewes who had 2 dead lambs each. The ewes were in a shed. The lambs were born before they were born. Will this happen the ewe next year, would you cull these ewes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭farming93

If it was me I would keep them, if they aborted this year its more than likely they will be immune to the virus next year I had a couple of ewes abort last year which I kept and so far so good theyve just started lambing now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

i would cull them, especially when price of culls is going so good. keep two ewe lambs then and bob is you uncle, your numbers wont be affected

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Depending where your located, there might be a department of agriculture vet lab near by. A phone call from your vet to them, any you could drop off the animal for autopsy.think it costs about €6 or €10. Could help you identify any abortion disease

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭grassroot1

If its toxo they will lamb ok next year, if its enzotic abortion they will have dead lambs every year and infect all of your sheep. Why take the chance kill and replace with a hogget

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Depending where your located, there might be a department of agriculture vet lab near by. A phone call from your vet to them, any you could drop off the animal for autopsy.think it costs about €6 or €10. Could help you identify any abortion disease

Personally I'd cull, no passengers, but that's me. Could be worth breeding if you can afford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭Green farmer

Farrell wrote: »
    Personally I'd cull, no passengers, but that's me. Could be worth breeding if you can afford

She might have already passed on any possible disease to others that you won't find about until this time next year. If you diagnosed the problem you could take steps to ensure it doesn't take hold. It's true if it was toxo, then she's immune for life. Could be a very cheap €6

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭willfarmerman

I'd let her off soon as she straightens up. Long wait till tiil next year and no scarcity of breeding stock about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

grassroot1 wrote: »
    If its toxo they will lamb ok next year, if its enzotic abortion they will have dead lambs every year and infect all of your sheep. Why take the chance kill and replace with a hogget

My experience with enzootic abortion is that it only affects them once, there is a question over the vaccination as to whether it provides protection for the lifetime of the ewe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭Conmaicne Mara

I'd sell a ewe that wasn't going to rear a lamb. Different story if the fox had her lamb away. Maybe if it was a hard lambing and the bag got the lamb I might reconsider, then again, would she be prone to that and who wants hard lambings, life is too short to waste on problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 1809allan

Might be Schmallenberg. I'd have her tested, and then the rest of your flock.

• Advertisement
Advertisement